Discussion about DMM website

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
All images including thumbnails. Even clicking on the thumbnails it gets stuck trying to load. Tried on Opera and Firefox.

All pictures are hosted on this domain / server: pics.dmm.co.jp
Maybe your browser / computer can't resolve that domain (means it can't get the IP address for that name). Or maybe it can't connect to that server.

If I try to ping that domain, my computer resolves that domain to the following address: 23.14.94.83
And the domain name for that address is : a1447.g.akamai.net
Means there is more than one domain name for that address.

And I'm also able to open port 80 on that address and to communicate with the HTTP server (using e.g. PuTTY).

PuTTY configuration:
Host Name (or IP address): pics.dmm.co.jp
Port: 80
Connection type: Raw
Close window on exit: Never

Then I enter (pay attention that you have to press Enter two times)
Code:
GET / HTTP/1.0

Then I get a response from the server:
Code:
HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
Server: AkamaiGHost
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 194
Expires: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:49:55 GMT
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:49:55 GMT
Connection: close

<HTML><HEAD>
            <TITLE>Invalid URL</TITLE>
                                      </HEAD><BODY>
                                                   <H1>Invalid URL</H1>
                                                                       The requested URL "/", is invalid.<p>
                                Reference #9.2d5e0e17.1350557395.291b8b6a
             </BODY></HTML>

If that also works you can the following request. It will return a JPG which will be shown as odd characters in PuTTY as it is binary data.
Code:
GET /mono/movie/knza005/knza005ps.jpg HTTP/1.0
Host: pics.dmm.co.jp

akiramike

Jan 12, 2011
I can ping both pics.dmm.co.jp no problem and 23.14.94.83.

Some thumbnails appear after 10 minutes, some don't show up at all. I'll try a modem reboot and see how I go.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I can ping both pics.dmm.co.jp no problem and 23.14.94.83.

Some thumbnails appear after 10 minutes, some don't show up at all. I'll try a modem reboot and see how I go.

Yes, as it sounds really odd rebooting your modem seems to be a good idea.
Maybe you can post again after doing it and report if you still face that problem.

ArgentGrace

Mar 31, 2010
A new problem appears...

When going to dmm.co.jp, it ask what language.

When I disable cookies, it popps up, preventing me from typing or clicking on pictures, etc.

umemania

Oct 29, 2012
It looks like DMM.co.jp is accepting foreign cards now! I've been trying to register mine regularly and it finally went through!! Yay

Aug 25, 2010
It looks like DMM.co.jp is accepting foreign cards now! I've been trying to register mine regularly and it finally went through!! Yay

Does anyone know if you can buy monthly subscriptions to studios on DMM from outside of japan?

I think its sad that a website had to be made just to access the original version of DMM. Japanese people just don't get how stupid some of their rules are.

vonelemental

Jun 11, 2008
hello guys! i have a problem with regards in accessing dmm.co.jp. when i go to dmm.co.jp the site redirects me to dmm.co.ph (since i am from the Philippines), i think dmm japan is denying my ip address. will you please help me if you guys have a fix for this problem. thanks in advance! thank you!

Nick_Wells

Jan 3, 2013
Hello, anyone can tell me if it's safe to access to DMM in this way? Anyone did try it? :puzzled:

I haven't tried any workarounds 'cos it's not necessary, at least from the U.S.

You can access the digital side - even make purchases and d/l them (they do have DRM, though). As far as the side with subscriptions and DVD's, there's no point in accessing it from outside of Japan (aside from extremely rare research purposes). They will NOT ship outside of the country (purchases or rentals) no matter how you access the site.

Of course, they may block the site altogether from certain countries (i.e. China) but that's a different deal altogether.

I guess I'm not sure why people are trying a workaround access - it seems you're not gonna gain anything even if you succeed. Now, I could be wrong and the US may be the only foreign country you can access the digital side from; in which case, please disregard this message.

Hope this helps!

-Nick

Nick_Wells

Jan 3, 2013
If your IP address is not Janpan,it will be blocked.

So you must change your IP

Only for the physical side. You can't order from there if you aren't physically in Japan, anyway. They don't send tangible product out of the country.

The digital side doesn't have the IP restriction (at least in the US). You can browse to your heart's content. You can even create an account and purchase movies for download (I know because I've done it). Granted, not every single video in their inventory is available this way, but the vast majority are - and that's thousands upon thousands.

As an added bonus, some videos are available for download prior to their "official" release date. Unfortunately, sometimes the opposite is true and you can wait a week or month after the "physical" release before it's available for download.

Anyway, try this link and see if you can access it normally (i.e. without IP masking): http://www.dmm.co.jp/top/

As far as I know it doesn't have an area restriction (at least it doesn't here in the US). Let me know if that still doesn't work for you (and what country you're in) - I'm curious now.

The IP restriction will still apply to most of the links in the top 1/4 of the screen (they take you to various parts of the "physical" side) but if you go down to the search box you should be good to go.

Good luck! Hope that helps!

-Nick

Aug 25, 2010
Only for the physical side. You can't order from there if you aren't physically in Japan, anyway. They don't send tangible product out of the country.

The digital side doesn't have the IP restriction (at least in the US). You can browse to your heart's content. You can even create an account and purchase movies for download (I know because I've done it). Granted, not every single video in their inventory is available this way, but the vast majority are - and that's thousands upon thousands.

As an added bonus, some videos are available for download prior to their "official" release date. Unfortunately, sometimes the opposite is true and you can wait a week or month after the "physical" release before it's available for download.

Anyway, try this link and see if you can access it normally (i.e. without IP masking): http://www.dmm.co.jp/top/

As far as I know it doesn't have an area restriction (at least it doesn't here in the US). Let me know if that still doesn't work for you (and what country you're in) - I'm curious now.

The IP restriction will still apply to most of the links in the top 1/4 of the screen (they take you to various parts of the "physical" side) but if you go down to the search box you should be good to go.

Good luck! Hope that helps!

-Nick

DMM finally removed the region detours??? :grassdance:

Has anyone tried a monthly subscription from DMM? For a huge collector like myself having one of those subscriptions would be a dream.

Nick_Wells

Jan 3, 2013
DMM finally removed the region detours??? :grassdance:

Has anyone tried a monthly subscription from DMM? For a huge collector like myself having one of those subscriptions would be a dream.

Nope. Sorry. They just don't have restrictions on the DIGITAL side. The subscriptions aren't on the digital side... AFAIK. To the best of my knowledge, the subscriptions are a form of the physical rentals - available in Japan only.

As far as the digital side, I know FOR SURE you can download titles (with DRM) and I believe you can also stream available titles. I don't know about the latter because I have no desire to pay to stream content.

Anyway, there seems to be a lot of confusion on this, so I want to state again that the restriction is STILL IN PLACE on the physical side of their website. I don't foresee that ever changing since it's highly unlikely they will EVER send product outside of the country.

Of course, if you want to use alternative methods just to LOOK at that side, that's your prerogative. Personally, I just don't see it being worth the extra effort/risk considering how much content is available through the DIGITAL side.

Hope that helps. And if anybody has any knowledge that contradicts what I've said, feel free to speak up.

-Nick

Nick_Wells

Jan 3, 2013
^
It's ok, you can type in English.

eg -
yuma asami
dv-1485

Wow. I didn't realize you could type names in romaji[1] (aside from ones like RUMIKA, MOKA, AIKA, etc. that are already written that way normally) and they would still come up.

I did notice, however, that when you do, the results are still in kanji/kana[2], so being able to decipher some Japanese might still be useful.

Also, I've found that not all titles come up when you put in the ID code normally. I believe this has to do with how DMM categorizes them. The don't use the studio/label's exact ID code but some variation on it. I would guess it has something to do with databases and field lengths but that's a discussion for another time and place.

I've discovered that if you type the letter portion followed by two zeroes (or one zero if there are four numbers, as above), then the number portion, it will usually come up. To use your example, I would type in DV01485.

Incidentally, when i typed in dv-1485, I didn't get any results. But entering dv01485 in the search box returned the video you were referencing. BTW, DMM's actual code for that one is 53dv01485... go figure.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on being able to use romaji (i.e. English) - that may prove to be helpful.

-Nick

[1] romaji (ローマ字): Japanese written in the latin alphabet
[2] kana (仮名): the two Japanese phonetic "alphabets" - hiragana and katakana. Natively written Japanese is (primarily) a combination of these and Kanji (logographic writing).

Nick_Wells

Jan 3, 2013
Just curious. How do you guys search on DMM? Do all of you understand japanese?

You don't have to understand Japanese per se. But being able to decipher it (if not outright read it) can be useful.

Of course, muddling your way through it without comprehending it at all is possible. As cluclu pointed out, you can type in English/Romaji and get some results. Whether or not you can interpret those may be a different story...

There are two translation features at your disposal that might also be helpful. The first is DMM's own Engrish[1] version of their site. You can click on it at the top-center of any of their pages. I don't usually use it because, well, it's poorly implemented and I often find it more confusing.

The other is the built-in translate feature in Google Chrome. I don't believe that Explorer or Firefox have a built-in equivalent but their may be extensions/add-ons you can download. While the Chrome utility is far from perfect, it's still very useful, IMO.

But at the end of the day, I'd recommend trying to pick up a little bit of Japanese reading comprehension (it doesn't take much) if you're more than casually interested in JAV. You'll be surprised at how helpful (and easy) it is.

I've been considering doing a JAV-specific Japanese primer for a while now, so I might post that here if people think it might help them.

Anyway, I hope that helps!

-Nick

[1] Engrish - slang for poorly translated/transliterated Japanese-to-English. A spoof on the fact that there's not really an "L" sound in Japanese.