Browser Opera

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I have downloaded Opera 9.6, it loads a lot faster than firefox and windows here is the link http://www.opera.com/ I am still getting used to it, but it is faster

zopilote

Feb 17, 2007
I have been using 9.51 for long time, and I'm happy with it, so I'll update to 9.6, you must try this browser, it's fast, easy, and works good with Akiba :nosebleed:

saveloy

Sep 23, 2007
I have been using Opera since when it fit on a floppy disk and had to be paid for :D
Great piece of software!

Axandra

Jul 7, 2008
Opera user here too :) Don't understand why, but it's an extremely underrated piece of software, IMHO. Some of its features are somewhat hidden - like the ability to block ads - but surprisingly versatile.

BadGuy

May 3, 2009
I'm a big fan of Opera as well, and even though I'm working with 80% Microsofties, I'm trying to pull them over to our side. My work laptops both have Opera 10 and this machine is still on 9.63 for some reason. I think I'll move this one over to 10 as well.

I also moved over to Opera for the sheer speed, it loads up quickly and renders pages quickly too. It does use up all the memory it can find, but it frees it up quickly too when needed. My Windows 7 doesn't quite like it though and sometimes switches back to basic mode instead of aero or whatever it's called in 7.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I used Opera back in '03 or '04. I forgot why I quit using it until BadGuy mentioned the memory hogging issues. Yeah. Yeah. It got so annoying I went back to IE for a while and then hopped on board Firefox (or actually whatever it was they were calling it back in '04 before the name change).

Sad thing is, Firefox hogs resources now, too. The problem seems to be:

1. Team wants to make small, bare-minimum browser with no security exploits and no resource squandering.

2. Team succeeds.

3. Team attracts attention.

4a. Attention includes dickheads who decide to investigate ways they CAN exploit flaws in the code -- for profit, personal amusement, or both.
4b. Attention also includes people who want to help work on the OS, but these people bring to the table ideals that don't necessarily mesh with the old school crowd.

5. The round table disagrees over how much security should come pre-bundled with the browser and how much security should be left up to the end user to figure out for himself. In the end, the browser-built-in-security proponents always win and the diehard do-it-yourselfers tend to take backseat roles in the project or disappear altogether.

6. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, and eventually you get a bloated piece of software that can do almost everything you ask it to but does none of it expertly.

BadGuy

May 3, 2009
I used Opera back in '03 or '04. I forgot why I quit using it until BadGuy mentioned the memory hogging issues. Yeah. Yeah. It got so annoying I went back to IE for a while and then hopped on board Firefox (or actually whatever it was they were calling it back in '04 before the name change).

Sad thing is, Firefox hogs resources now, too. The problem seems to be:

1. Team wants to make small, bare-minimum browser with no security exploits and no resource squandering.

2. Team succeeds.

3. Team attracts attention.

4a. Attention includes dickheads who decide to investigate ways they CAN exploit flaws in the code -- for profit, personal amusement, or both.
4b. Attention also includes people who want to help work on the OS, but these people bring to the table ideals that don't necessarily mesh with the old school crowd.

5. The round table disagrees over how much security should come pre-bundled with the browser and how much security should be left up to the end user to figure out for himself. In the end, the browser-built-in-security proponents always win and the diehard do-it-yourselfers tend to take backseat roles in the project or disappear altogether.

6. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, and eventually you get a bloated piece of software that can do almost everything you ask it to but does none of it expertly.

Thing is: Opera doesn't actually HOG memory, it uses it to make your browsing MUCH faster. When the memory is required elsewhere it immediately releases it. I play games and... it's not an issue to have opera running multiple times. It's actually the only browser that does the things Firefox promises, obviously it gets shit for being closed source. It's still the fastest and most compliant browser in the west ... east north and south. ... ah don't get me started on open source btw... that's one big rant waiting to happen lol :hero:

Kenpachi God

Cpt. Of the 11th Squad
Apr 23, 2009
i use to use opera and then it wouldn't work when i was using wifi so i left it for either web safari or firefox

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
If anyone's interested, the latest Firefox 3.5 RC2 shows the least memory consumption among all modern browsers (Opera 10, Safari 4, Chrome 3) -- at least when browsing among the Alexa 150 most popular sites:

Code:
http://dotnetperls.com/chrome-memory

It should go without saying though that once you begin adding extensions to Firefox (which is why it's so popular in the first place), the memory load will naturally go up. But so far it looks quite promising.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
They are both good browsers though I used Firefox way before they started all the add on junk. IE is actually a very good browser for the common surfer but I wouldn't recomend it to anybody. I like Opera a lot but use a variety of browsers depending on what I am surfing for. If I remember right Firefox was developed by the old netscape people after they lost the browser wars to IE. They have done a remarkable job but Opera is less a target for spam and viruses than either IE or Firefox, although there are slight security defects in versions under Opera 9.64. Firefox allows for the most tweaking though and that is real popular with people who know what the hell they are doing, lol, and it is fun for those who are learning.

I suggest using multiple browser types and finding the ones that you most enjoy. It is a big place out there, the internet, a universe all unto itself, forever expanding and diversing. Try not to put limits on how you view it or access it.

zopilote

Feb 17, 2007
I agree, my transition was:
IE 5 -> Firefox 2 -> Chrome 1 -> Opera 9
The one i have is totally tunned, I really didn't like to custom any browser, but for some reason I enjoyed it doing it with Opera. And I'm using it currently aside with Firefox 3 and IE 8.

Axandra

Jul 7, 2008
Just upgraded to v.10 Beta2 and a little cool indicator appeared in the lower left corner, right next to the Sync button: Opera Unite.
Take control of what you share online - Opera Unite allows you to easily share your data: photos, music, notes and other files. You can even run chat rooms and host entire Web sites with Opera Unite. It puts the power of a Web server in your browser, giving you greater privacy and flexibility than other online services.
What could possibly go wrong? ;)