A heads up to Opera browser users

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
I use Opera 10.51 for the purpose of getting simple layout changes displayed in different styles for web dev purposes.

On the other hand, if you are concerned about leaving traces of your browsing history on your computer, then Opera 10.x is not for the faint of heart.

Open the folder on your installation disk (normally C:/) and check out
C:\Users\[YourUserName]\Local Settings\Application Data\Opera\Opera

I just cleared out 29,950 files, 2900 sessions and 1,931 website icons which opera stores for every visit you do. This is how they override serverside "Session Cache" and HTTP Cache settings to speed up your surfing.

And this is only from the three weeks or so I have used this version.
Imagine whats left there by default in 6 months time.

A lot of junk and for the first time in 12 years I actually considered defragging my hard disk. Until I found where the "junk files" all came from.

Edit!

Mind you I have of course set my cach to clear on exit, empty temp files on closing browser and not remembering anything in history except url's up to a max limit.

None of which made any difference in 10.51 however 9.1 works excellent on this point.
So the upgrades may not be the smoothest, nor the least intrusive and they still leave some work to desire on cache and temp file settings before they can take the step up above the 2.5% user coverage line IMHO.

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
10.5x has Private Tabs and Windows that don't leave much of a trace, have you tried them?
http://help.opera.com/Windows/10.52/en/tabs.html#private

Also
opera:config#UserPrefs|ShowPrivateModeIntroductionPage

Hmmm... forgot to check those... nice...
This still does not explain why it doesnt clear on exit.
Given the other headaches I have on my current machine... I guess it could be just about anything.
(maybe if I pull my ashtray out of the cpu fan...)

Anyway... being an old dos geezer I made a batchfile that clears everything and anything in my sesson, cookies, icons, cache and elsehwere in case the "Norwegian" colleagues forgot to add something else.

(Like actually clearing the cache when thats check marked)

I hope you're not from Norway, but there is a reason Swede's treat Norwegians like Americans treat the Polish. ...

Good for jokes, and we get them back as good as we dish them out.
All in good fun.

On a side note to private tabs...
Remember you have to Log back in again when you go to your desired pages.
A side effect which would be circumvented if the session data was cleared instead without dumping my password too.

Minute details but still general user cause and effects one have to adjust to I guess.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
On the other hand, if you are concerned about leaving traces of your browsing history on your computer
Use portable (sandboxed) software, such as Portable Firefox. There should be a portable version of Opera as well.