Becoming A Japanese Citizen

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
That doesn't let you become a citizen, dumbass, that lets you get a spousal visa.

Axandra

Jul 7, 2008
Either way you gotta be fluent in Japanese and know the history.

Just stepping into my seventh year here... Can't remember from the top of my head, and I'm even too lazy to follow the relevant links that I, myself, provided somewhere back in this tread, but I can't seem to recall any reference to (Japanese) history. As for the language skills, it was something like mastering kanji at a second grade elementary school levels or so, though I might be wrong here too.

Anyway, in normal cases, eligibility for Japanese citizenship doesn't come until you've been a PR Visa holder for a minimum of five years; and you don't get that changed from a spouse visa - again, in normal cases - earlier than in a couple of years.

Now, if I was a valuable football player and they really, really wanted me on their national team, the law is provided with shortcuts for this special occurrences, isn't it?

newbie009

Jun 30, 2009
@aquamarine no it does....but you have to stay in japan for at least 3-5yrs to get it, at first they'll give you a spousal visa...after say 3-5yrs...you can apply for citizenship.i suggest check with japanesse immigration if don't believe me.

newbie009

Jun 30, 2009
@axandra did they changed that to 5yrs already???? last time i was there you can get it within just 3yrs.

Oh BTW why just become a JP citizen??? why not a dual citizenship?

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Oh BTW why just become a JP citizen??? why not a dual citizenship?
Both countries must allow dual-citizenship in order to obtain dual-citizenship. Japan does not allow dual-citizenship, so in order to get a Japanese passport you must give up your other nationality even if the other country allows dual-citizenship. (There was some discussion in Japan about allowing dual-citizenship, but so far nothing has changed.)

newbie009

Jun 30, 2009
Hmmm All i can say after all this is...are you bloody sure?? look if you like the culture that's fine stay absorb everything...but are absolutely sure??? anyway it's not my choice...after hearing everyone's opinion on this i think you have a very good idea what your getting yourself into...and if you still wanna do it..hell there's so much info on this thread to start you out...i say goodluck to you.:cheer::cheer:

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
Last edited by newbie009; Today at 04:13 AM.. Reason: mispelled
You get a big ol' irony LOL for that!!

csdfga

Jan 30, 2010
This post initiated 2 years ago, and one of the main characters 'aquamarine' is still posting his applies here.
I wonder why you appear so arrogant. Given your profile, you are in the capital city of Japan which in my opinion is one of the most significant metropolises all over the world. I guess you enjoy your life there. But it seems that you hate Japan, then why don't you move out? I was once working for a Japanese company and maybe you are right, it's very hard working, but on the opposite side, the Japanese culture is wonderful and so are Japanese girls. (I don't mean JAV) In my opinion, it is your huge fortune if a traditional Japanese girl marry you.
I would like to say, comparing with Japan, American is a place full of arrogant guys. Maybe you can find life easier in American but I would like to say you feel happier in Japan.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
csdfga said:
This post initiated 2 years ago, and one of the main characters 'aquamarine' is still posting his applies here.
I wonder why you appear so arrogant.
Appear? No, my son, I AM arrogant and can afford to be.

csdfga said:
...you are in the capital city of Japan which in my opinion is one of the most significant metropolises all over the world.
Why? Because it has a struggling market, just like everywhere else? Because people are sandwiched into teeny little apartments unlike anywhere else in the world? What makes it significant? Not to nitpick, but I'm curious why you think so.

csdfga said:
it seems that you hate Japan, then why don't you move out? I was once working for a Japanese company ...
Hate is a strong word. I discourage those who come here thinking the wrong thing. I post the negatives. Oh, and for the record, "NOVA" doesn't count as a Japanese company.

csdfga said:
In my opinion, it is your huge fortune if a traditional Japanese girl marry you.
BWHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA OK, you just lost ---ALLLLLLL--- credibility you may have had right here!

csdfga said:
I would like to say, comparing with Japan, American is a place full of arrogant guys. Maybe you can find life easier in American but I would like to say you feel happier in Japan.
Interesting you say that. So what do I do to become an American? Sorry, I'm no yank.

imported_the_laughing_man

Ritalin Addict!
Jan 15, 2010
Just stepping into my seventh year here... Can't remember from the top of my head, and I'm even too lazy to follow the relevant links that I, myself, provided somewhere back in this tread, but I can't seem to recall any reference to (Japanese) history. As for the language skills, it was something like mastering kanji at a second grade elementary school levels or so, though I might be wrong here too.

Anyway, in normal cases, eligibility for Japanese citizenship doesn't come until you've been a PR Visa holder for a minimum of five years; and you don't get that changed from a spouse visa - again, in normal cases - earlier than in a couple of years.

Now, if I was a valuable football player and they really, really wanted me on their national team, the law is provided with shortcuts for this special occurrences, isn't it?

I am sure there are shortcuts for this kind of reason.

I was here about 6 years before I applied for citizenship and yes you need to know a certain amount of kanji.
Forget the history part I was thinking of something else.

dogmadogma

El Dorado
Jan 5, 2007
As a final render of this vat of disgust, I want to know one thing...
Why do you want to come to Japan so badly? Do you REALLY REALLY REALLY like anime and cosplay girls?

aquamarine said:
...Don't forget: Americans work to live. Japanese live to work.

I don't post much but THIS GUY AND REST OF HIS POSTS ARE THE FUCKING QUOTED FOR THE TRUTH IN THIS ENTIRE THREAT!!!!!!!

Seriously most anime fanboys/weaboos/Japanese mainstream pop culture that are mostly portrayed through media are sooo out of touch from reality that they believe whatever they are spewing it out from Japan must be the best thing that happens. Compare to America, Japan is actually a living, breath hell. Surviving there is like surviving in Nigerian civil war...you have to struggle and have the utmost determination to do so.

Everything in Japan is expensive and people are overworked and barely can contain a smile on their face. For tourism, yeah sure you can go and enjoy. But living their for the rest of your lives just for the heck of it? Boy I sure don't want to burst your bubble but why??? I lived in Japan for more than two years and I must say that beside the foods and few good looking women, I missed my good ol America. I noticed myself being constantly depressed and missing out lot of people that I knew in America so you have that...

Nonetheless, in Japan, people are extremely friendly and lot of entertainments but just solely moving to a country without knowing anything about it is as much of a moronic thing to do as listening to a guy in the street claiming to know the secret of Time Traveling...Yeah it must be true!!! Enjoy what you have right now. Most people around the world would give their left nut to live in America than any place on earth. Just look around. What you have is luxury. Stop letting a country's media brain wash you to think that whatever they have must be the best for their citizen...it's the contrary actually and you will notice that people aren't that happy!

EDIT: Ooops sorry to revive an ancient thread!! :p

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
No need to apologize, the otaku living in mom's basement needed a reminder.
I can't be the only... 'teapot' here, after-all.

Sofer

Nov 18, 2009
I dreamed to life there too. (obvious reasons.. when i joined Akiba Online)
Stopped it after i calculated my earnings, living expense and the facts with general life (not portraited by mass media). And comparing it with my current livestyle.

Still gonna visit Japan sometime.
My Boss is there for two weeks (for work) now.
Heck i am developing stuff for there.. maybe i will get a chance for a free flight+ lodging someday when i am dragged there for a presentation or stuff. That is my new dream (for holidays).:perfectplan:

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Seriously, come on over, visit, heck, do like a friend of mine does and stay for a month at a time... but if you want to come and live here, take a GOOOOOOD long look at your living situation and way of life, then divide that by 2. Unless you are fluent in Japanese with a masters degree OR a high-ranking executive being re-assigned to the Asian-Pacific market, you will be losing a LOT of the comforts of home.

I've been here since 2004 and honestly, it's about 8 years too much.

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
just saw this thread for the first time and although my comments may be somewhat off-topic at this late stage, (considering how derailed this thread has become) please accept that i post not having read this entire thread so i may be repeating...

if you get married with a japanese national and spend a minimum of five years married and living in japan then you are eligible to apply for residency. once you have had residency for five years (or ten maybe?) you are eligible to apply for citizenship.
if you come to on or spend 10 years in japan on a work visa (sponsored by your employer) then you become eligible to apply for permanent residency.
apparently there is a lot of discrepancy between the testing criteria and the actual tests that are carried out as a part of the citizenship application process in the various prefectures and from office to office, person to person etc.

dual citizenship is granted to children of a japanese national/foreigner couple and their offspring are allowed to have two passports until they turn 18 (or 20 maybe) upon when they must relinquish one or the other.
as i understand it, there is no almighty computer system that japanese immigration can check to find out if a child of parents of mixed nationality has a passport for their given country and i heard of someone living in japan who had 2 passports.

Sofer

Nov 18, 2009
Seriously, come on over, visit, heck, do like a friend of mine does and stay for a month at a time... but if you want to come and live here, take a GOOOOOOD long look at your living situation and way of life, then divide that by 2. Unless you are fluent in Japanese with a masters degree OR a high-ranking executive being re-assigned to the Asian-Pacific market, you will be losing a LOT of the comforts of home.

I've been here since 2004 and honestly, it's about 8 years too much.

Simple check the bbq meat prices...
OHH NOOOEEESS!!

q.q

I would die.. in the first summer.. through poverty or food shortage..Yester day i meet with some people to play a "Shadowrun" Tabletop session.
One told me in an after discussion why his charackter is an "Japanese elf".. that he want's to live there. No worrys, i made short with that..

"Whats your Job again?"
"Elementary School Teacher, 4 years now~"
"Uhh.. try it, but check the income first. I think you will drop two jaws. When you compare them!"
"That can't be right. I am sure i will earn even more~ Teachers from here are highly wanted,"
"Just saying. You'r to dice now for you'r next action ingame"

Afterwards we checked the income via internet search+some help from a wise guy.. and he kinda.. sweared alot then. Mostly in japanese xD..
He is fluent in japanese.. too bad he won't ever really use it.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Fuck I miss playing Shadowrun. Any places i can play it (tabletop style) online?
"Why hello Tinman... if that is your real name... I notice you are at -1.2 essence..."

Glassjaw

Miu > all
Apr 30, 2007
I guess you could compare it to the phenomena of when Japanese people realise Paris really ain't all that and go a bit mental. We are all fed certain images of exotic places through what appeals to us most about them, but the reality is often quite different to the fantasy.
I'm still shocked at the amount of yanks that think London is full of posh sorts having tea and crumpets under Big Ben in bowler hats.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Really? Damn, when I think of London, I think of cloudy, rainy, people in thick wool over-coats with scowls on their face.