Am I just dumb?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

gaijindavid

Jan 6, 2007
I cannot seem to find a driver for my DVD-ROM. (Hopefully this is such an easy thing that you will all be laughing at me when you reply.) It's a Toshiba SDR60121633. Domo arigatou for anyone willing to help a clueless old fogey like myself avoid buying a new friggin computer simply because he can't burn DVDs anymore. :please:

Aegis

Jan 19, 2007
have you tried to go into your control panel, and adding the hardware manually? That works sometimes. If that doesnt work i'd go into the comps guts and switch the slaves and masters around.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Doesn't windows XP take care of that?
I've installed various operating systems from scratch and my DVD-RW drive never needed drivers. When it decided to break on me (slowed to a crawl) was to go into device manager (in XP) and go to the corresponding IDE/ATA/ATAPI controller, click properties and, if it wasn't in DMA mode, uninstalling it there and then and rebooting twice.

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
If it's XP, you can. As long as you don't install the genuine advantage thing from the auto updater.

ccwder

Hmm...
Feb 27, 2007
I ran across this if you're still looking for a driver. Please make sure to virus scan it etc as I use a mac and have never used the file.

As chompy said I don't think you would normally have to install a driver with xp but if it's an old enough drive then perhaps it does need one hmm.

Good Luck!

gaijindavid

Jan 6, 2007
perhaps it isn't even a driver problem after all. that's the error message i get when trying to burn discs but i am able to play them. (for someone who spends hours a day online, i know remarkably little about computers, so thanks for the help attempts.)