after re-install Windows 7, Japanese characters does not display

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

supermax

Akiba Citizen
Oct 10, 2008
hi Tech Support,

my pc got crashed. I just re-installed Windows 7 from fresh.

when I open the Windows Explorer, somehow the files I downloaded before, does not show up with Japanese letters any more.

everything, all the previous movies collection stored on my hard drives. They have both English names, and Japanese names. But only the English letters are shown ok. And all other Japanese letters become weird fonts.

the text files also cannot display the Japanese letters. All are weird font, weird character letters.

how can I fix this issue ?

with thanks.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
You probably don't have any japanese font installed or they're disabled. Switching the language to japanese and then back to english(or whatever language you're using) will probably fix it.
If not, google how to add japanese fonts to win7.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
you may not need to change languages, when I was using windows, up to XP, all you had to do was add the extra languages as you was setting up, but if already set up, just look for the add languages folder, and click on all the ones you want to install, and it should ask you to place in the disc, it should be that simple

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
hi Tech Support,

my pc got crashed. I just re-installed Windows 7 from fresh.

when I open the Windows Explorer, somehow the files I downloaded before, does not show up with Japanese letters any more.

everything, all the previous movies collection stored on my hard drives. They have both English names, and Japanese names. But only the English letters are shown ok. And all other Japanese letters become weird fonts.

the text files also cannot display the Japanese letters. All are weird font, weird character letters.

how can I fix this issue ?

with thanks.

Have you tried this?

http://erogedownload.com/faq/changing-to-japanese-locale-on-windows-7/

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
all you need to do is install the japanese language pack. open windows update and click the 'optional updates'. scroll down to japanese and check the box. hit ok and then install updates. once you reboot you should be able to see the characters again.

system locale sets the language for non-UTF-8 programs. on my system (W7 english with jap lang pack installed) i can see, for example, my power saving software in english if i set the locale to america or whatever but notepad display japanese characters as nonsense.

BudEWiser

Dec 24, 2008
A little tip, if you install the language pack, and then start installing programs (adobe is famous for it) and all of a sudden you find that windows is no longer displaying UTF8 characters properly in explorer, you can rename your recycle bin to something that contains a Japanese character.
What happens is that if explorer is not the first program to load the font, for some reason it is locked out from using it until the other program terminates. This causes problems for programs that are loaded in the background that use the font cache, like adobe's licensing programs. If explorer loads it first, it has no problems sharing it with other programs.
I speak from experience when one day no japanese characters would display any more in my windows 7 ultimate. I had just installed Adobe CS 6 when the problem appeared, and my research into why it might have happened, lead to a lot of people claiming that. I don't know if the reasons are 100% true, but the fix has worked for me.
Hopefully this post will help someone else out too.