Account Hacking Attempt - Offender: 173.180.208.184

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Seems that someone in Canada, actually to be more specific, someone from British Columbia in Canada REALLY wants to play with my account. This is the second time that I have received an email from AO stating that a specific computer has attempted to access my account.

The offending IP is 173.180.208.184

I strongly suggest that the admins & mods do an IP-lookup to cross-reference who the offending user is and then do a nice little IP-ban on the fucker. There is NO excuse to keep this user around after they have attempted twice to access my account.

Mods & Admin, please feel free to chime in with what your opinion on this matter is, and if you choose not to do an outright IP-Ban on that address, please let us know why. There's simply no reason to keep an IP-hacker on this forum.

Cheers from Tokyo, NOT British Columbia under the ip 173.180.208.184

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Sha-Zam.
Just checking to make sure this posted properly.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I looked and he did not show up on Akiba

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
That IP address has been banned, although it's unclear what good that will do. Getting another public IP address is trivial.

I recommend that you change your password to something unique (only used here on Akiba-Online.)

If you want to resist brute-force password attacks, you need a password with at least 64 bits of entropy.
  • A password with 10 truly random alphanumeric+symbol characters has 65.5 bits of entropy.
  • A 5-word random diceware password has 64 bits of entropy. See https://entima.net/diceware/

If you want to resist brute-force password attacks AND a leak of the Akiba-Online database (it's happened before), you need a password with at least 90 bits of entropy.
  • A password with 14 truly random alphanumeric+symbol characters has 91.7 bits of entropy.
  • A 7-word random diceware password has 90 bits of entropy. See https://entima.net/diceware/

And of course you need to adequately protect your email account so that a hacker cannot "recover" your Akiba-Online password...

kraidazen

Death Emperor
Feb 12, 2009
That IP address has been banned, although it's unclear what good that will do. Getting another public IP address is trivial.

I recommend that you change your password to something unique (only used here on Akiba-Online.)

If you want to resist brute-force password attacks, you need a password with at least 64 bits of entropy.
  • A password with 10 truly random alphanumeric+symbol characters has 65.5 bits of entropy.
  • A 5-word random diceware password has 64 bits of entropy. See https://entima.net/diceware/

If you want to resist brute-force password attacks AND a leak of the Akiba-Online database (it's happened before), you need a password with at least 90 bits of entropy.
  • A password with 14 truly random alphanumeric+symbol characters has 91.7 bits of entropy.
  • A 7-word random diceware password has 90 bits of entropy. See https://entima.net/diceware/

And of course you need to adequately protect your email account so that a hacker cannot "recover" your Akiba-Online password...

now teach us how to remember that kind of password :perfectplan:

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
A 5-word diceware password is easy to remember.

Or better yet, use a password management program and give your brain a rest.

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
AI Roboform addon for firefox is free and it's soooooo useful that you'll wonder how you could live without it!

i don't know if it is also available for other browsers though