A thought about RapidShare

ShanksYYZ

May 6, 2009
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I've been thinking something about Rapidshare for a while, I figured I'd ask here because you guys seem to be sort of well versed in legal internet stuff.

I see a lot of people that use RS or one-click-hosts because they think there's less chance of getting sent cease and desist letters from their IPs, ya know it's a common thing BayTSP or someone else sits in a torrent and gathers ip addresses.

But in theory isn't it as easy for a company to demmand the IP addresses of the downloaders of a file from RapidShare Sendspace Megaupload etc.?

I'm sure I'm wrong somewhere, so please enlighten me.

Jul 1, 2009
There is way too many variables to give you a good answer to your question. It all depends on who's trying to get the info, from whom, where you live, and who your ISP is. RapidShare specifically has made statements about taking action against pirates, but that's just a PR bluff. Obviously their whole business is built upon copyright infringement.

JAV studios don't do any cease and desist activities that I'm aware of, so this problem isn't a big concern with the stuff we trade here. :joker: