8.8 Richter earthquake hits Japan: Tsunami, nuclear meltdown, many dead

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
@ guy, aquamarine, akiva, et al

Hey guys, super stoked to hear you are all safe and well.
Absolutely horrific turn of events; to which I have a personal connection.

Thanks for the updates, please keep them coming.

guy, I was going to send you a PM but it seems you don't accept them. If you feel inclined to chat could you please PM me and I should be able to reply to your message.

Keep safe all.

気をつけて頑張れ!

Mar 6, 2011
Feel so sorry for Japanese victim. T_T.
All I can do is just pray. Sorry T_T.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Ok WHY THE HELL !!! Malaysian newspaper making fun of the recent tsunami disasters of JAPAN ???
Certainly distasteful, but different people have different ways of dealing with trauma/shock.

Better than the people on Twitter/Facebook who have spoken out against Japan, claiming that the earthquake/tsunami was payback for Pearl Harbor and/or Japan's whaling/dolphin hunts.

Xcaliber9999

May 10, 2009
Yes here is the sample .....What the fffffffuuuuuuuuuuu... these people are talking about ? :destroy:

wbiJh.jpg

This is really disturbing, disgusting and unfortunate ... did they already forgot that they already dropped 2 atom bombs on Japan ...

ARE THEY STILL NOT SATISFIED ? ....What revenge and bullshit they are still talking about ? ... People are dying there and these assholes are talking about paybacks ? There are some human in this world who are actually devil in human disguise in my opinion

Very disappointed have to say Losing hope in humanity

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Freedom of speech is a great concept......until people say something we don't like. Personally I hate hearing idiots make inane comments, drives me crazy. Some people will argue over the most idiotic points and say the most outragest stuff. Yet they have as much a right to their opinion and views as I do. Whether I agree with them or not. Whether it is racist, sexist, factless or just plain hateful...they have the God given right to say and express their opinion. Let us try to overlook these misguided assholes.

Officials now say there are about 2,800 confirmed dead, after another 1,000 bodies washed up along the Miyagi coastline. The Miyagi police chief estimates that number will top more than 10,000 in that province alone.
an interesting article by the associated press:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/quake-japan-death-toll-rises_2011-03-14

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
Ok WHY THE HELL !!! :damnit: Malaysian newspaper making fun of the recent tsunami disasters of JAPAN ???

What are they thinking ? ... Let them get hit by a Tsunami or a natural disaster then they will understand.

I have to say that's really pathetic ...

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-570978

I am very sorry to have to say this, but there are some who think the same in my Country, you will find that there are many selfish people in this world, have pity for them, not anger, until it happens to them, they will never understand, and they will put out there hand whoever decides to help, I hope all of those who have survived, will soon find there families, and will find safety and food and shelter, wish you all a speedy recovery

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
Prayers to all the injured, dead, and missing.. Sad day indeed..

That damned tsunami even reach the west coast of California.. Only one dead tho.. He decided to take picture up close.. Gone..

Only 15 million in damaged boats too.. Glad I'm poor..

kunoichi

Occasional Visitor
Mar 26, 2007
Some info on nuclear reactors/reactions from the professor at the periodic videos youtube channel,
I really recommend subscribing to their channel as they also have some other nice videos:
[youtube]-bcrLiATLq0[/youtube]

loveIdols

Nov 7, 2007
It is very hard to say something smart or comforting in this situation so I will just say that I sincerely hope that Japan will recover quickly from this disaster.

I have only words of highest praise for Japanese people's morals, ethics, discipline, hard work, and dedication. If only all other world nations would look upon them, this planet would be a much better and healthier place for all of us.

spikier

JAPAN:みんなのあい
Nov 13, 2008
my heart is STILL aching really bad right now. i don't think I'll ever get over what has just happened to japan.

i love that country with all my heart and soul... no, that country is my heart & soul.
and for something like this to have happen to it, means a long road of recovery for me.

to the people of japan: I'm so sorry this very unfortunate-catastrophic-disaster has occurred on you all. i pray that this never happens again.
i would have rather this incident came upon another country (even America) instead of japan.

as for those hypocrites who's feeling resentful due to Japanese 'individuals' killing whales: how 'double-standard' are you? (i guess i shouldn't be using that phrase). every country have individuals who kill animals for profit (pigs, etc). WHO THE HELL ARE WE TO DECIDE THE VALUE OF AN ANIMAL'S LIFE?.

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
Better than the people on Twitter/Facebook who have spoken out against Japan, claiming that the earthquake/tsunami was payback for Pearl Harbor and/or Japan's whaling/dolphin hunts.

as for those hypocrites who's feeling resentful due to Japanese 'individuals' killing whales: how 'double-standard' are you?

Despite knowing better, I'm still blown away that anyone would try to make the claim that any country deserved something like this for ANY reason.

How could anyone say that this was punishment for whale hunting? That's a level of stupidity that goes into outer space. There's no way to quantify that kind of stupid.

Thankfully, those types of people are in a very tiny minority.

Thanks again to all of our members in Japan for keeping us posted with any info. Please continue to be safe.

uk21

Saori Hara Alliance
Aug 4, 2009
Despite knowing better, I'm still blown away that anyone would try to make the claim that any country deserved something like this for ANY reason.

How could anyone say that this was punishment for whale hunting? That's a level of stupidity that goes into outer space. There's no way to quantify that kind of stupid.

Thanks again to all of our members in Japan for keeping us posted with any info. Please continue to be safe.

I second that my friend..

Believe me there are more of them than you think...I been on a few forums etc looking for info and you meet them everywhere.:dunno:

They make me see red..they don't care a bit about the people who have lost their lives or are struggling to survive..just there small minded views.:furious:

I hope all the members in japan are safe and like lowleg26 as said thanks for posting your info and pictures...I also hope your love ones are safe also.

Plus here is a list of JAV girls who are safe and well....

Asakura,Hitomi Tanaka,Maika,Nina,Rio (Yuzuki Tina),SARAH,,Miku Ohhashi,Saki Otsuka,,,Asami Ogawa,Meguru Kosaka,,Aino Kishi,Jessica Kizaki,,,Anri Hoshizaki,Megu Fujiura,Shelly Fuji,,,Aya Hirai,,Risa Tsukino,,Yuu Namiki,Saki Ninomiya,Nana Nanaumi,Yua Kisaki,,Shou Nishino,,,Kirara Asuka,Minori Hatsune,Rui Saotome,Akari Asahina,,Tsubasa Amami,Yuma Asami,Rina Rukawa,Saya Tachibana,Natsumi Horiguchi,An Shinohara,Akie Harada,,Yui Igawa,Mika Kayama,Riri Kuribayashi,,Lora Aoyama,Rei Mizuna,An Mashiro,Risa Kasumi, Eri Rika,Nana Ogura

Mayu Nozomi is in a hospital and Maria Ozawa as been find safe and sound.

But still no news on my fav girl..Saori Hara..I just hope she is ok.:sigh:

My thoughts are with you japan..:bow-pray:

uk21

icsaigon

Apr 28, 2009
Let keep our hopes high for all the girls who are still missing and pray for all our fellow Japanese victims.

Thanks for all the update information on the events. :tea:

Freedom Kira

Rawr™
Jun 19, 2009
the nuclear technology mankind created has turned out to be the unbeatable evil dragon...

China just has decided today to heavily increase the amount of new nuclear power plants and to multiply the already existing capacity by factor 8...

Mankind just never learn...

If only we could do more than to assist Japan only by our prayers...

No, that's a good direction to go in, assuming they know what they are doing. The nuclear reactors that already exist in China are probably very old now and very prone to accidents. Building some new ones with better accident prevention and robustness, etc. and shutting down old ones is a good idea. Though, granted, I don't see any mention of replacing old ones.

America should really learn from this. Many of the reactors in the US are Generation 1 reactors, meaning they will end up like Chernobyl under the right conditions. The latest generation (Gen 3, with Gen 4 coming out after 2030) are designed to avoid such disasters. Unfortunately, the fear of nuke power in America prevents new ones from being built, meaning the old ones can't be shut down. I'm sure the incident in Japan will only increase this fear. Ironic, isn't it?

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Reactor #4 has a fire - good lord.

Freedom Kira

Rawr™
Jun 19, 2009
I heard it's been put out already. Good work.

Live updates here: http://www.educatedearth.net/nuclearjapan.php
My friend just shared it with me. It seems to be running on Eastern Daylight Time (EDT - GMT-5h - Canada/US).

Apparently Tokyo is going to receive some low-level radiation very soon (next 10 hours).

Edit: Approximately 50 people are working on-site at Dai-ichi to keep the situation under control. They have my utmost respect, and I shall silently cheer them on.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
According to my team-mate working for NHK Translation & Reporting Division, Tokyo Office:

"There are some conjectures about radiation increace affects Tokyo.
Let me be clear, NO WORRY around Tokyo.
For example, about 1.3 micro sievert/hour has been detected at 10AM today in Utsunomiya, Tochigi pref(much closer than our place).
The amount is 2~4times larger amount than usual,
but NO HARM AT ALL.
Example: about 50 micro sievert at once = equals to radiograph.
about 500 micro sievert at once = equals to GI series.
We still can go out naked."

What does this mean for me? I'm sticking around but still begging for a hand-pump water purifier and those iodine-oxide pills.

krusty69

Dec 3, 2009
Our National news service here in Canada just reported that there was no-one on site now because of the high radiation. It was just to hot to keep anyone in there.

It's getting harder to sort through the news and wonder who to believe. :puzzled:

Freedom Kira

Rawr™
Jun 19, 2009
Heh, make sure you keep beefed up on iodine.

As for the radiation levels, I'm not worried at all myself. It was just a heads-up that Tokyo would be getting some.

Best of luck, everyone in Japan.

Edit: At above comment, I would sooner trust my source. These are the Japanese we are talking about. They would never leave a reactor unstable like that and just run away, even if it's 3000°C at the core.

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
Our National news service here in Canada just reported that there was no-one on site now because of the high radiation. It was just to hot to keep anyone in there.

It's getting harder to sort through the news and wonder who to believe

I agree. News from networks in the states is similarly disjointed.

They either whine about not having things spelled out for them (I'm assuming the issue is they don't have proper translations of statements) or they flat out admit they're totally in the dark, either way, they have no trouble proceeding into wild speculation about worse case scenarios. Very little verifiable "news" about the situation is getting through.

Not to sound like a broken record, but thanks again to our members in Japan for keeping us as up to date as they can. It really does help peoples understanding of the situation. And it lets us know that you're still OK. Which is also nice. ;)