10 minute Time Difference

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
the title says it all

at the moment there seems to be a 10 minute difference in time between real and akiba time, we will be looking into that as soon as possible

Thank You loki777loki for pointing it out to me

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Actually he is saying a couple of things: He is saying what time zone the server is in, that Akiba-Onlines' watch is running fast and that you are behind the times. Personally I think they should set the clock display to Japanese time, just for themes' sake. They could even use a Japanese analog clock display. I mean lets' face it, some effort could be taken to give this forum a little more flavor.
japanese_kanji_wall_clock.jpg

Last edited:

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I assume Japanese and Chinese characters are almost the same

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I assume Japanese and Chinese characters are almost the same

The Japanese originally derived their written language from the Chinese, so there are many similarities. Chinese influence runs rampant in Japanese culture due to Japans ancestory but of course Japan has changed and innovated in different ways over the centuries. The above clock should be in Japanese Kanji and it would just take a little hacking for an adept tech to exchange the digital clock readout this forum has with a small analog clock such as above (sans the second hand for simplistic reasons) but everyone could still read it. Now a digital readout in Kanji would be a bit more challenging for some members to understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji

Reactions: CoolKevin

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
its an interesting concept. i am sure i have never seen kanji used on a clock before.
sometimes the original or archaic kanji are used on elevator buttons for example, but i have never seen them on a clock face. possibly something to do with the difference in the way numerals and kanji are employed when expressing time.

the words 'hours' and 'minutes' are always added when saying the time so you dont say 4:25 (four twenty-five) but "four hours, twenty five minutes".

for those interested, the simplified modern kaji are on the left, and their archaic counterparts on the right.

一 壱
二 弐
三 参
四 肆
五 伍
六 陸
七 柒
八 捌
九 玖
十 拾

Last edited:

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
the date should now be fixed.

as for the clock.
i can put it somewhere in the header, but i don't really know where exactly ^^'

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
You could even make it in Japan Standard Time (9 hours ahead of UTC). Japan does not have daylight savings time though, which might slightly complicate matters but shouldn't be above your capabilities.

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
Reactions: Ceewan

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
That is pretty cool really. Anyone tell you that you are a handy guy to have around? Of course you have to understand english in order to set your prefrences but at least those that do can set the clock to their local timezone. Fucking excellent job. I never even checked out the prefrences before actually, I guess I have been satisfied with the default settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: C00Lzero