You Are Currently Not Using A Display Attached To An NVIDIA GPU

Speeny

Sep 28, 2013
So to start, I'm a complete noob when it comes to computers. I don't class myself as a tech head at all, so try and go easy on me.

Basically, after a few days of my PC being off as I stayed with friends for the weekend. After the weekend I decided to clean/dust out my tower...(I didn't remove any hardware.) I noticed when I turned it back on an Intel Graphics HD Driver had been installed. Curious, I went to the Nvidia Control Panel Settings and this is what popped up:

11b3sas.png

Here is my specs...
1t0jkn.png

I am currently using a HDMI chord connect to the back of my tower and into my monitor.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
That's because windows decided to switch to the integrated intel GPU that's inside your CPU.

You can search on google how to switch back and forth from the integrated to dedicated GPU or maybe this will work(you can specify something instead of Auto-Select too) if it lets you go further than that error message:

1. Right Click on Desktop
2. Select nVidia Control Panel
3. In left panel select "Manage 3D Settings"
4. In right panel select Global Tab
5. Under "Preferred Graphics Processor" select "Auto-Select" and hit APPLY button

I can't test it since my motherboard doesn't support my integrated GPU so I don't have that option on my PC.
As long as you don't do something that's really demanding graphically like playing games, it doesn't really matter which one is used.

Speeny

Sep 28, 2013
T
That's because windows decided to switch to the integrated intel GPU that's inside your CPU.

You can search on google how to switch back and forth from the integrated to dedicated GPU or maybe this will work(you can specify something instead of Auto-Select too) if it lets you go further than that error message:

1. Right Click on Desktop
2. Select nVidia Control Panel
3. In left panel select "Manage 3D Settings"
4. In right panel select Global Tab
5. Under "Preferred Graphics Processor" select "Auto-Select" and hit APPLY button

I can't test it since my motherboard doesn't support my integrated GPU so I don't have that option on my PC.
As long as you don't do something that's really demanding graphically like playing games, it doesn't really matter which one is used.

The thing is, whenever I go to click on the Nvidia Control Panel...that message appears. :/

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
I see. It seems that it might be a problem with the driver installation.

Try reinstalling the drivers and see if that fixes it.

Speeny

Sep 28, 2013
I uninstalled the Intel HD Graphics driver before...(Which I'm pretty sure I'm currently using.) The screen went black. If I go through the device manager to uninstall the Nvidia driver will it affect the display at all?

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
No since it doesn't detect any screen connected to it.

Now that I think about it, are you sure that hdmi cable is connected to your graphic card and not directly to the motherboard? I don't think it's possible to use the NVidia card through the motherboard connector so it's likely that you've always used the intel one or someone changed the cable location(possibly you if you disconnected any cables to dust it).
You should have another hdmi slot at the back of your tower, likely next to a white connector.

Speeny

Sep 28, 2013
Problem solved! Just found the HDMI port that connects to the graphics card itself. Must of put the chord through the motherboard port when I plugged it back in again after cleaning it out.

Thanks for your help. :)

Speeny

Sep 28, 2013
Although the flagged action center message still does appear regarding a problem with the Nvidia graphics card...