Would you ever get an Irezumi?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Tacfarinas

May 13, 2009
Me? yes, i wouldn't mind Irezumi at all. In fact, I plan on getting a piece done.
(in japan). Let's just hope i can actually be able to bare with it.
It is after all a painful and lengthy procedure.

irezumi.jpg

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Nope. I enjoy being able to go into onsens without hassle. Thanks though.

newsn

Nov 1, 2007
I doubt it, I already have one tattoo that's pretty big and the commitment of time I had to make to have it done as well as to heal put me off to the idea of ever getting a huge tattoo like this all together. But if your seriously considering having work done like this you don't have to travel to Japan to get it, I've seen better looking pieces done here in the states. Check out some of New Yorks various tattoo shops online, I get my work done there over there.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
I totally agree with aquamarine. I'm all for the enjoyment of the good old hot spring. No tattoos for me. Although I'll probably continue designing them for friends and family.
desioner

newsn

Nov 1, 2007
I totally agree with aquamarine. I'm all for the enjoyment of the good old hot spring. No tattoos for me. Although I'll probably continue designing them for friends and family.
desioner

Wait can you only not go into hotsprings or the bath houses if you have those huge Asian tattoos or just tattoos in general? I've heard about their reasoning behind it but I still feel that it's discrimination towards those with body art.

Tacfarinas

May 13, 2009
No hot springs..oh no...

But as of now i have Zero Tattoos. And it isn't about the money.
I wanted to get one in Japan because it would have a more exotic
experience, and of course i wouldn't just go there to get a tattoo
and leave.
knowatimeen?

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Wait can you only not go into hotsprings or the bath houses if you have those huge Asian tattoos or just tattoos general?.

Tattoos in general. This style of tattoo is associated with Yakuza here in Japan and most onsens will not allow you to bathe if you have any tattoo period. Y buddy and I drove down to Izu and he was turned away from several of the nxicer onsens because he had a rather large Canadian flag tattooed on his shoulder blade and a flaming heart on his bicep.

The original poster may say "oh no, not my precious hot spring!" but let's not forget that this area is for JAPAN discussion and here the hot springs are a pretty big deal. It's not like back home where we can just get together and jump into a hot tub. Plus, the onsen is a great place to socialize.

So again, no. I wouldn't get one because I enjoy soaking my chunk body in the clean water of a hot spring. I always sleep like a baby after it. Plus i'm not a fan of pain so having a needle jammed into my skin a few thousand times simply isn't all that appealing.

newsn

Nov 1, 2007
Tattoos in general. This style of tattoo is associated with Yakuza here in Japan and most onsens will not allow you to bathe if you have any tattoo period. Y buddy and I drove down to Izu and he was turned away from several of the nxicer onsens because he had a rather large Canadian flag tattooed on his shoulder blade and a flaming heart on his bicep.

The original poster may say "oh no, not my precious hot spring!" but let's not forget that this area is for JAPAN discussion and here the hot springs are a pretty big deal. It's not like back home where we can just get together and jump into a hot tub. Plus, the onsen is a great place to socialize.

So again, no. I wouldn't get one because I enjoy soaking my chunk body in the clean water of a hot spring. I always sleep like a baby after it. Plus i'm not a fan of pain so having a needle jammed into my skin a few thousand times simply isn't all that appealing.

Well looks like the hot springs just lost one customer, bastards :ban: lol.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I'm not too hot on the idea of tattoos in general. The whole idea of permanently scarring ones body on purpose I find distasteful. But then I find body piercing to be distasteful for the same reasons. Each to their own of course, I am all for individualism, it is just not for me.

roundeyedevil

Jun 8, 2010
slightly off topic, but can anyone recommend a good tattooist near tokyo? i dont want a Irezumi, but was gonna get another tat to commemorate my trip here...

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
slightly off topic, but can anyone recommend a good tattooist near tokyo? i dont want a Irezumi, but was gonna get another tat to commemorate my trip here...

How long have you been here? Was it a vacation?

roundeyedevil

Jun 8, 2010
yep a vacation, been here a week and a half. BTW went to hakone, and went to the tourist centre and told them i had a tattoo, they gave me a list of onsen that didnt mind.... and my hotels onsen freaked a bit, but they gave me a bandage to hide it. Everyone must have realized that it was a tat, but in a very japanese way, if you at least try to cover it and dont broadcast it they seem to accept it

imported_the_laughing_man

Ritalin Addict!
Jan 15, 2010
I have a tattoo of my wifes name on one bicep and a tribal on the other and I have never really had a problem in onsen in general. I get a few odd looks but I guess it's more tolerable cause I am English. Plus hotel onsen no one really minds.

Cryptnotic

Jan 27, 2007
I've heard about their reasoning behind it but I still feel that it's discrimination towards those with body art.

Actually, that's not the kind of discrimination that people typically complain about. Getting tattooed is a choice, so not allowing people based on their choices is okay. For example, not allowing people into a fancy restaurant if they are wearing jeans and no jacket is okay. Not hiring a person for a job if they show up for the interview in a t-shirt is okay.

Not allowing people based on their skin color, gender, et cetera is the bad kind of discrimination, since they presumably didn't choose those things.