Working in Japan?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

atomicxxx

Mar 12, 2008
I want to go to Japan. How can you guys backpack for 3 months? I just graduated college and I need a visa just to go to Japan, let alone stay for 3 months and look for a job. I'm from Manila and I was wondering what kinds of jobs I could apply for in Japan.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
Teaching English is what most people do. Apparently you can also get work proof-reading articles and other English text, but I know nothing about it....

typoman

Mar 12, 2008
I hear a lot about teaching english on the radio. I also heard that you can teach english while not knowing japanese either. But that seemed to be a temp job though.

shujin

Thats Dr. Shujin to you..
Nov 29, 2006
Since you'll only be in japan for a short time, I think it maybe a lil hard to find something. You could always register on a website, like www.findateacher.net, the upside to most sites like this is no one will ever check your visa to see if you're actually allowed to work. The downside is you may or may not be able to find students since they choose you, not the other way around.

In general most places wouldn't like hiring someone who will only be around for a few months, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't look. In general you don't need Japanese to teach English privately, but my students seem to find it more comfortable that in a pinch, I happen to be fluent. I find it useful for explaining idioms, where the meaning is often nothing like a literal dictionary translation.

As for work proof-reading and translating, as Handyman ( a hero of mine for upping some pics i requested in another thread) suggested, I have also done some work like this, specifically translating manga. For this type of work, you will most certainly need a proper work visa or work exception on your visa.

As for what other kinds of jobs you can apply for, I guess it depends on what degree you just earned. Japan is a country just like any other. Meaning, theres all kinds of work to be done. Not just teaching English, but of course it harder to get these kinds of jobs as a foreigner and without Japanese skill.

I have some friends that bartend and dj and stuff, so theres lots of opportunities if you look a lil harder.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
I want to go to Japan. How can you guys backpack for 3 months? I just graduated college and I need a visa just to go to Japan, let alone stay for 3 months and look for a job. I'm from Manila and I was wondering what kinds of jobs I could apply for in Japan.

First of all, what country are you from? You can potentially get a Working-Holiday visa if you are under 30, over 18 and are from a "Friendly" country (Australia, Canada, UK, Ireland, Scotland, Brazil)

Teaching English is what most people do. Apparently you can also get work proof-reading articles and other English text, but I know nothing about it....

Yep, you can always teach english --IF-- you have a Work-Visa or Working-Holiday Visa. Otherwise if you are caught teaching English for money (ie: not volunteering) while in Japan without a working visa of any kind (only with a travel visa) then you get stuck in a Japanese jail for 90 days and then deported out of your own pocket. However in the Japanese' defense, there are too damn many foreign illegals here. Makes me want to vomit.

You could always go on the trains while you're here and simply say in a loud voice (but for the love of fuck, don't yell) "English Teacher... 1000 yen per lesson from now to your stop"

Since you'll only be in japan for a short time, I think it maybe a lil hard to find something. You could always register on a website, like www.findateacher.net, the upside to most sites like this is no one will ever check your visa to see if you're actually allowed to work. The downside is you may or may not be able to find students since they choose you, not the other way around.

There has been a LOT of troubles with findateacher.net. Many more immigration officials have been signing up and kicking out LOTS of illegals. What with the evaporation of NOVA (huge English company), more and more people who do not have proper visas (since Nova can't sponsor them) have been working under the table. This has pissed off the governor of Tokyo to no ends.

You should simply look into getting a working-holiday visa or a work-visa. You said you just finished college so get some English company to sponsor you for a visa before you go, even if you don't plan to stick around for very long. Just don't forget that if you burn any bridges by breaking a 4-6 month contract (though those are few and far between), the English school will certainly remember you and pass your name around the city that you worked in.

indreamsiwalk

with you...
Apr 8, 2007
Being from the Philippines is probably a major disadvantage. The big English-conversation sweatshops schools seem to prefer teachers who "look" American/English/Australian, and you know what that means. :distressed: And I'm guessing that immigration officials are wary about giving visas to people from Southeast Asian countries, unless they come from elite backgrounds and are therefore less likely to "go illegal." And as aquamarine suggests, the governor of Tokyo assumes that all "Third-Worlders" (as he called them) are criminals. I'm sure he love to build concentrations camps where foreigners can do the jobs Japanese can't or won't do, without "contaminating" his fair city. :dunno:

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Another reason the English schools prefer people from Australia/Canada/England is because of the accents. They prefer those three countries over all others (including over the USA, yes we DO have different accents).

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Damnit I wish my university had offered Japanese as a language. It still to this day doesn't yet has MANY Japanese students (although even more Chinese than any other country - this is at the University of Saskatchewan mind you).

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
You will not be able to find any position for eikaiwa in Japan, regardless of visa issues or howaito-san stereotypes, because nearly every organization will require 1-year contracts. If that's a commitment you're willing to make, you can definitely poke around: AEON, GEOS, JET, Interac, and others, are all fairly reputable programs, each with their own pros and cons.

Being from the Philippines won't lend itself to eikaiwa jobs, but it wouldn't be impossible to put a spin on your background to sell it as an asset. You just have to do your research, and prep for interviews.

I have a friend who, through contacts, up-and-left school for 6 months to work at a ramen shop in Hokkaido. And during my time in Kyoto, I knew people who worked temp shifts at local bars (local gaijin scene). Keep in mind, for those kinds of local jobs, you'll need to enter under an official work visa to actually apply from within Japan. Entering under "Cultural Activities" visa (as most students do) does not allow you to work--except if it's under the table.

But even at that rate, you'll have to worry about housing and such. And for only 3 months, it's not worth it at all. Better to just work at home and save up, then to give yourself a vacation in Japan.

Also, depending on your college study, you may be able to apply for a job from a local company that has an office somewhere in Japan (such as citicorp/financial or Blackstone/investment, from the US)...

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
You will not be able to find any position for eikaiwa in Japan, regardless of visa issues or howaito-san stereotypes, because nearly every organization will require 1-year contracts.

Not true. Very few require a full year these days. They often say that in the advertisements, however when hired, you are expected to sign a three or six month contract ONLY. That goes for GABA, AEON, Berlitz, Apple and many others. I should also add that JET is only accessible if you are coming from a university that takes part in the organization. I know three people in JET and two of the three tell me they are being worked like dogs, the up-side is that they don't have to pay for their piddly little apartments.

Sorry, if I had to go back to teaching English (not bloody likely!) then I'd much rather work for an English school, rather than an organization. That way you are considered to be a 'Private Contractor' and can write off EVERYTHING. Already wrote off both of my computers, my PDA, most of my train tickets, half of my meals, two suits, countless ties and my parking spot for the year!

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
JET is accessible to anyone who has a Bachelors (or equivalent accredited) degree, regardless of field of study or university. The vast majority of JET participants say that the hours are fair, besides the loss of a number of holidays. But the higher pay makes up for it, along with other securities (insurance, stable pay, low initial cost). Housing for JET varies, since it is able to send people out to inaka, where a whole house can be had for $300/mo--with some inaka being 25min from Osaka, for example. There certainly are people who have had negative experiences with JET, but as every person's situation is incredibly different, a few bad reviews is no indication of the overall program's benefits.

As for the contracts, 1-year contracts are not requisite per-se, but they are still integral to housing arrangements (which sometimes require 2-month's of deposits), among other long-term contracts.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Ahh, I see I have mis-understood how it works. While take university, I had looked into the program and the information provided actually had a list of all of the universities that were participating in the program. I see it is my mistake, sorry about that!

Thanks for the clarification guy!

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
No problem.

I guess another part of the confusion is that JET sends representatives only to major universities for their information sessions (which technically anyone can attend), so if you happen to be at a smaller uni, you might not hear about it at all! :dunno:

Kirin99

Jun 8, 2008
It is difficult to get a legitimate working visa if you are not from a native English speaking country + university degree, or dont have a background in IT. The best thing to do is come on a student visa. But studying here costs loads of money, but even on a student visa you can legally work. You could always travel during school breaks. they are quite frequent.

sergeidragunov

Spetsnaz
Sep 18, 2008
i want to work in japan too!

Im currently taking up my master's degree in Information Technology for the sole reason of going to japan.

i like to work there and i want to attend TGS( tokyo game show)

am i really qualified?

do i have the chance to work in japan?

i am russian(i look like sergei dragunov) pale white skin and lips etc.,

anyone? can i really go there?

of course it is up to me, just a matter of motivation and perseverance.

but i really like to hear the opinion of others.

japan is like the holy grail of gamers
and i am a gamer. specifically a tekken player, want to test my skills in japan.

russia is not a native English speaking country so i can't go there?
i certainly hope not.

if its not possible to go to japan just for that reason well...i have no choice but to spend my whole life in my beloved Mother Russia..

Russia is nice country but i want to expand my horizons that's all.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Howdy there Sergei. Let me do my best to educate you on how things work here in Japan. This is not third hand information, it's from me and my experience as well as my friends who come from a plethora of various countries, from England, Canada, Zimbabwe, Brazil, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, the Philippines, Germany and a few others that I can't properly pronounce.

sergeidragunov said:
i like to work there and i want to attend TGS( tokyo game show)
am i really qualified?

Possibly. You should check with your local Japanese embassy to see if your university is recognized as a legit school in Japan. Many schools are NOT recognized and when people finish their degrees, they find out that they are ONLY good in their home country. This goes for ALL 'tech-schools' (trade schools) and many various smaller universities.

sergeidragunov said:
i am russian(i look like sergei dragunov) pale white skin and lips etc.,
Who cares what you look like? Do you speak fluent English? Do you have a sponsor ready to help you move to Japan?

sergeidragunov said:
japan is like the holy grail of gamers
and i am a gamer. specifically a tekken player, want to test my skills in japan.
Stop right there. Here is where I get annoyed. There are a LOT of gaijin (no, I'm selectively not using the term ガイコクジン) here that come for video games. They end up doing nothing but wasting space, driving up rent prices and making it a pain in the ass for the rest of us to live and work. If you like Japanese fucking cartoons, then download them from here and stay in your own country. My hobby is playing airsoft (さるヴぃヴぁげむ) and I (sadly) have to make trips to Akihabara to purchase equipment and parts for my guns. Because of this, I often run into foreign (usually white) people who come up to me and ask me where the best shop is for cartoons. GROW THE FUCK UP AND LEAVE ME ALONE, for the love of hell.

Now gamers are a different story, the hard-core gamers keep to themselves and don't bother me that much other than wreaking of sweat from playing the latest fighting game in their little hovel of an apartment, however if you come here for games and fucking cartoons, trust me, you will not have a social life. Like I said before, why not just watch cartoons from your home country and leave the rest of us to actually work in peace?

With my rant on the dredge of society over, I will leave you with this. Japan is a lot of fun if you like SOCIAL CONTACT. If you are the kind of person who likes to beat off while looking at cartoons or takes no interest in social gatherings or outings (and if you don't like beer) then Japan is NOT the place for you. You may pride yourself and say "I'm otaku!" but rest assured my friend, that is NOT something to be proud of once you step food in Japan.

Saying "I'm otaku!" here is like saying "I like to touch the penises of little boys!" in America.

sergeidragunov

Spetsnaz
Sep 18, 2008
Hi aquamarine!

"I like to touch the penises of little boys!" in America."

I will never do that! those americans.

anyway thank you for the advice, really helped me, i will check if my university is recognized as a legit school in japan..

do you mean even if i have my master degree in IT, if my school is not recognized as a legit school in japan, then i cant go?

oh boy...my university is just a small one. but i will try to check it in the embassy.

i have no sponsor to help me as of now..but if i have. Well?

ok thank you i will just download on this site, i will not go to japan for videogames or for anime..i'll go to japan to WORK and make some money. thats all.

i dont know any of my fellow russians that wants to go outside of russia.

but i will see if i can go or not.

mr. aquamarine. have you encountered other Russians besides me that wants to go to Japan? or is it only me?

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Sergei said:
do you mean even if i have my master degree in IT, if my school is not recognized as a legit school in japan, then i cant go?
Yes, exactly.

Sergei said:
i have no sponsor to help me as of now..but if i have. Well?
If you find a company in Japan that is willing to sponsor you, then no problem. Unless that company is on the red-flag list from the govn't for sponsoring people who don't deserve it. Another issue that the English company 'Nova' had.

Sergei said:
ok thank you i will just download on this site, i will not go to japan for videogames or for anime..i'll go to japan to WORK and make some money. thats all.
GOOD MAN!!!! :happybday::happybday::happybday:

Sergei said:
mr. aquamarine. have you encountered other Russians besides me that wants to go to Japan? or is it only me?
Yes I have. I worked with two when I first moved to Japan and was at an English teaching company. Since then, I've only met one other. I don't think it's becuase Japan has anything against Russians, I just don't think that Japan often enters in to the minds of young Russians who think "I want to travel!", at least not until recently (perhaps).

Here is (as best I can remember and by looking through my keitei list) a list of everyone's country that I'm buddies with and who I can remember meeting

England
Singapore
Canada
New Zealand
Sweden
United Arab Emirates
Iran
China
Taiwan
India
Thailand
Poland
Zimbabwe
Brazil
Mexico
Australia
The Philippines
Germany

So as you can see, there are quite a few people from all various countries. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask, but be warned that I'm jaded by the amount of 'filthy gaijin' that have come here for the wrong reasons.