Word translation

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
I now officially commandeer this thread for all screen cap translation requests. @vimana456 Counting on you:centil:

From MDB-983:

MDB-983-op.jpg
I actually can read a bit of kanji so I figured out enough, but would love to get a full translation. Mid-Edo period blah, public bath user ..., work as ... job, male (passive) users...

It should be possible for Google translate to read the image and translate to English, but I don't want to use my phone for this and wonder if anyone can recommend a good process without installing additional software.

vimana456

Akiba Citizen
May 22, 2010
I now officially commandeer this thread for all screen cap translation requests. @vimana456 Counting on you:centil:

From MDB-983:

View attachment 1665274
I actually can read a bit of kanji so I figured out enough, but would love to get a full translation. Mid-Edo period blah, public bath user ..., work as ... job, male (passive) users...

It should be possible for Google translate to read the image and translate to English, but I don't want to use my phone for this and wonder if anyone can recommend a good process without installing additional software.
I'm relying on machine translation myself, so I don't know if I can answer your expectations.:(

江戸時代中頃から現代においては、
銭湯で利用者の背中を流すなど直接的・間接的なサービスに従事する職業
またはその職業に就いた男性被用者を指す。古くは小者や下男を意味した。

From the middle of the Edo period to the present day,
Refers to a person who is engaged in a direct or indirect service, such as washing the user's back at a public bath,
or a man who has a job. It meant the servant and the inferior man in old times.

From the context, is not it a thing of Sansuke?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansuke

Reactions: ding73ding

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
From the context, is not it a thing of Sansuke?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansuke
Amazing! You even answered the question I didn't ask. What is a 三助? From the frame before the "江戸時代..." text:
MDB-983-op2.jpg
I didn't ask because I thought there're too few words to go with and might be it's so steeped in some niche culture I expected no one could answer. How wrong I was, one can always count on @vimana456 :cheers:

Wow so I didn't realize sento could be so lewd, I had the impression that it's a family thing.
Sansuke.jpg

Reactions: vimana456