Windows XP support ends one year from today!

Jul 1, 2009
Microsoft will not release any security updates for Windows XP after April 8 of next year.

If you or someone you know is still using XP, it's time to think about moving to a newer operating system... unless being part of a botnet sounds like fun. :pandalaugh:

What are the options?

1. If the computer can hold 1GB of RAM or more, it may be able to run Windows 7 or 8. You will have to search the 'Net to see if drivers are available, however, since Vista and newer use a different driver system than XP. :study:

2. Install some version of Linux. The LXDE desktop acts very much like XP and works quite well on old computers, even 256MB of RAM is enough to run it. :tea:

3. Buy a new computer. :thief:

SaraC

Sep 10, 2007
I loved XP. It did exactly what I wanted for the time. And then came Vista and a huge backwards step was made by Microsoft.

7, is a good OS, and far better than the rather dated 8. But XP will probably rank as my favourite OS of all. Shame it's almost EoL, but at least it was good.

TravelingWind

That Bastard
Jun 27, 2012

remynisce

Jun 25, 2013
If i'm not mistaken, i've read an article saying that Microsoft will stop support for WinXP in 2007, now i'm reading everywhere that it will end at 2014.:study:

Gir633

Señor Member
Oct 28, 2008
If i'm not mistaken, i've read an article saying that Microsoft will stop support for WinXP in 2007, now i'm reading everywhere that it will end at 2014.:study:

If I remember right the original plan was to end in 2007, but there was enough units using XP and enough demand from users that they extended support another 7 years.