Windows 8

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
it is based in part on windows the windows phone version and features a touch panel friendly interface (metro?). you can still revert back to the original desktop though...

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I will not use it,

unless it comes free, or until it has a reasonable price, and it is not hitched up with some cheap OEM software

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I use ubuntu on my pc

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
I will not use it,

unless it comes free, or until it has a reasonable price, and it is not hitched up with some cheap OEM software

uh, you are talking about microsoft right? or are we just talking aviating swine here?

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
I will not get it unless it comes with my next computer. I see no reason to run out and buy a new OS when the current one I have works perfectly fine. New operating systems generally require more hardware just to work as good as the old operating systems.So to me it amounts to taking a engine out of a tiny car and sticking into a large truck.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I'm pretty sick of Windows. Next OS for me will be something GNU/Linux-based for sure. Maybe keep a dual-boot instance of Windows 7 for occasional gaming.

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
I'm pretty sick of Windows. Next OS for me will be something GNU/Linux-based for sure. Maybe keep a dual-boot instance of Windows 7 for occasional gaming.

I already made the jump, I use Debian and Windows in my hdd, windows only for gaming and Debian pretty much does the rest including accessing windows partitions with no problem.

btw who said linux has no games? screenshot of me playing amnesia (steam) in my debian installation. :harp:

Gzed

Mar 10, 2012
I have just purchased(Yes, I actually paid) Windows 7 after running a bootleg copy of it for a while to see what it was like. Windows 7 is supported until 2020 so I will not be upgrading to Windows 8 anytime soon.

Gzed.

sapientiam

Jan 1, 2010
i really doubt if the metro interface works wonder on a desktop monitor.. it probably only shines on mobiles

chippy

Satyagrahi
Feb 10, 2008
I am indeed curious about the evolution of this thread. I first tried Linux in 1992, and formally gave up anything Microsoft soon thereafter. I'm not into gaming (I don't believe Nethack counts in the same league, haha!) and have otherwise been perfectly happy never to have to deal with BSODs, viruses, crappy OEM forced feedings and the like. My only real bitching point is how many web pages REFUSE to work properly with anything other than IE, and Chrome is closing the gap on that front recently.

What I'm curious about is if there is someone who has been concurrently using Microsoft and *Nix operating systems extensively for--say--the past most interesting decade of development of both camps' offerings, someone who can give an honest comparison between perhaps Windows 7 and a v2.6-era Linux (or BSD equiv.) kernel based distribution.

I've been an OS geek since IBM DOS V1.0, but having abandoned Microsoft so long ago it'd be interesting to hear what I've missed: the good, the bad, and of course the ugly! TIA!

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
I am indeed curious about the evolution of this thread. I first tried Linux in 1992, and formally gave up anything Microsoft soon thereafter. I'm not into gaming (I don't believe Nethack counts in the same league, haha!) and have otherwise been perfectly happy never to have to deal with BSODs, viruses, crappy OEM forced feedings and the like. My only real bitching point is how many web pages REFUSE to work properly with anything other than IE, and Chrome is closing the gap on that front recently.

What I'm curious about is if there is someone who has been concurrently using Microsoft and *Nix operating systems extensively for--say--the past most interesting decade of development of both camps' offerings, someone who can give an honest comparison between perhaps Windows 7 and a v2.6-era Linux (or BSD equiv.) kernel based distribution.

I've been an OS geek since IBM DOS V1.0, but having abandoned Microsoft so long ago it'd be interesting to hear what I've missed: the good, the bad, and of course the ugly! TIA!

Well Chippy, I quoted you because of all the questions..

I was on the Beta team for Windows 95, and have kept up as well as most since then.

I have written for BSD magazine, and Linux+ magazine. (2600 too)

I feel the PC-BSD version is as good as any, and with the "Push Button Update" feature, almost flawless.

Back in the 90s, I selected BSD for my students Unix classes, and
it grew on me.. :grassdance:

For the older laptop/desktop, you can count on "Puppy Linux" or "Damn Small Linux" (DSL) to carry the day..

Many *nix distros are capable and can provide good service.. The few issues can be flash and/or video drivers.. So try out the different distros and enjoy..

It's true the Windows 8 Beta is now out, and I'm not that pleased with it.. The interface looks like a smartphone.. :please:

Anyway, have fun, eat dessert first, life is uncertain..:grassdance:

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
Update: Any windows 7 computer purchased this year, allows the Windows 8 upgrade for $15.95..:pandalaugh:

Gzed

Mar 10, 2012
Update: Any windows 7 computer purchased this year, allows the Windows 8 upgrade for $15.95..:pandalaugh:

I read the other day that anyone who has windows xp/vista/7 will be able to upgrade to Windows 8 for £25. I wish they had told me a few months ago before I bought a legit copy of Windows 7 for £83.

Windows 7, Vista and XP users can get Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 (£25)

http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...per-cheap-windows-8-upgrade-promotion-1087746

TimmyChin

Dec 3, 2010
Windows 8 privacy concerns

I thought people might find this an interesting read:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/08/wi...out-everything-you-install-not-very-securely/

1. Windows 8 will, by default, inform Microsoft of every app downloaded and installed by every user. This puts Microsoft in a compromising, omniscient situation where they are capable of retaining information on the application usage of all Windows 8 users, thus posing a serious privacy concern. The user is not informed of this while installing and setting up Windows 8, even though they are given the option to disable SmartScreen (which is enabled by default.)

2. Windows 8 appears to send this information to Microsoft to a server that relies on Certificate Authorities for authentication and supports an outdated and insecure method of encrypted communication. It is possible that these insecurities could allow a malicious third party to target a Windows 8 user and learn which applications they are using. This allows them to profile the user and decide how to best exploit their personal selection of applications and their computing habits.

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
@Timmy
True earlier versions used the outdated protocol.. The media has over-hyped this a bit.. Release to manufacturing code uses a secure protocol..
The above is part of the "Smart Screen" filter that attempts to secure your computer from malware..:study:

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
I have just purchased(Yes, I actually paid) Windows 7 after running a bootleg copy of it for a while to see what it was like. Windows 7 is supported until 2020 so I will not be upgrading to Windows 8 anytime soon.

Gzed.

If Microsoft launch a SP2 for Windows 7 it will be supported even further than 2020 :grassdance:
Thats why I don't think they will release another service pack.

Kumi3

Flaccid Member
Feb 8, 2011
If win 8 is anything like 7, then God help us.

I think Microsoft has long passed the point of introducing anything useful in its upgrades. Bogging down my machine a bit more - I'd pay double for that feature !