Windows 8

xeffects

Jun 5, 2009
Where I work, all the systems run on Linux Tiny-Core but man they boot up fast and some systems have been on since the company opened up 6 years ago ... I wouldn't dare reboot those, lol.

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
after finally making an install and trying it myself, and having looked at many reviews etc i have come to a couple of conclusions.

this is microsofts most progressive release. and i dont mean in the 'changing the way we think about computing' or even in the 'changing the way we relate to computers' but simply that android (through smartphones/tablets) and before that the limited presence of touch enabled devices has fully opened the door to a new age of 'touching' and seeing that one day, probably in the not-so-distant future, we will be carrying fully featured pocket computers (as opposed to just smartphones) microsoft decided to release a prototype hybrid OS. it is quite conceivable that we will simply dock our devices when at home (the os will switch to desktop mode) and change to 'touch' mode when on the move.

as a desktop os it is not intended to replace win 7. it simply doesnt have enough going for it, and is arguably less well equipped, to justify its existence only there. it is no xp->vista or vista->7 os. on laptops however it is much more feasible that users will find touching the screen on either side (desktop or metro) more natural and, at times, faster and more convenient....as long as you dont mind smudges on the screen.

it probably wont be that long before we will be installing or choosing the os we want on our 'pocket computers' and an 8-like os will almost certainly gain in popularity then.

i wonder if the *nixs are going to take this path too?

so while it has taken several wrong paths and still needs a lot of work, i dont hate it.

SaraC

Sep 10, 2007
Don't like 8 at all. Think I'll stick with 7 and Android tablets for the foreseable future.

TimmyChin

Dec 3, 2010

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
Microsoft brings back the Start button in Windows 8.1.

http://anonym.to/?http://www.thever...-1-start-button-desktop-improvements-features

- Jensen Harris, director of the Windows User Experience Team

unless there has been a revision on the announcement, there should be no confusion about the function of this button. microsoft will not be adding the start menu to 8.1 but simply adding a button that will take the user back to the start screen (metro interface)...which is already toggled by the windows key.

asianphreak

Mar 30, 2007
unless there has been a revision on the announcement, there should be no confusion about the function of this button. microsoft will not be adding the start menu to 8.1 but simply adding a button that will take the user back to the start screen (metro interface)...which is already toggled by the windows key.

Like we need more fucking buttons. Metro works for touchscreen devices such as tablets and phones, but it fails for traditional computing. I did read a report where they said that they realize that the corporate world has different needs--Metro isn't one of them.

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
Like we need more fucking buttons. Metro works for touchscreen devices such as tablets and phones, but it fails for traditional computing. I did read a report where they said that they realize that the corporate world has different needs--Metro isn't one of them.

this isnt talk about adding more buttons to the desktop but just making changes to retain the amount they had before. 8.1 will apparently have the option to boot to desktop and, as far as i have seen, 8 functions satisfactorily as a desktop os, even bringing native functions that were performed by third party programs previously, ie virtual mounting of ISO files. the search funtion is much improved and shutdown/boot times have improved. hell, i would venture that metro is more functional than the unity desktop...:pandalaugh:

asianphreak

Mar 30, 2007
this isnt talk about adding more buttons to the desktop but just making changes to retain the amount they had before. 8.1 will apparently have the option to boot to desktop and, as far as i have seen, 8 functions satisfactorily as a desktop os, even bringing native functions that were performed by third party programs previously, ie virtual mounting of ISO files. the search funtion is much improved and shutdown/boot times have improved. hell, i would venture that metro is more functional than the unity desktop...:pandalaugh:

All I was stating was that Microsoft didn't really think about the UI well enough. Guys like me, with an Eyefinity 2x3 setup, don't have touchscreens. The whole notion of swiping at the screen breaks when your screen isn't touchscreen.

They should have run with putting that interface on their mobile platforms, and something entirely different, or more appropriate for the desktops.

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
All I was stating was that Microsoft didn't really think about the UI well enough. Guys like me, with an Eyefinity 2x3 setup, don't have touchscreens. The whole notion of swiping at the screen breaks when your screen isn't touchscreen.

They should have run with putting that interface on their mobile platforms, and something entirely different, or more appropriate for the desktops.

maybe reading this post explains my position a little better.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
I got a new computer and it came with windows 8.1. I hate how they do the start button.Its like it should be for a Iphone or some some other similar portable device instead of an actual desktop.PLus when I click on videos I do not want to see advertisements for videos, I just want to see my videos listed.When I click on photos I want to see just my photos I do not want it asking me if I want to hook up a camera. I do not want different shit trying to act like it's in it's own enviroment or what ever the hell they call that. Its a shame they didn't put in desktop mode or regular windows mode setting built into windows 8.

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
Windows is dead and dying. I think a small, but growing number of the public is slowly getting annoyed with activation bull$hit, getting locked out of products they legally paid for, and having to call MS for a new activation keys. All the best software is free with no activation. I've noticed over the years that all the software I've bought in stores turned out to be the most buggy products on my machine.

Think about how many billions of dollars the work industry spends retraining their employees because Microsoft keeps changing things that already work. I'm still using XP on one of my machines and love it. The new way windows 7 auto sorts files and then gives you no option to disable it has really made my life difficult with regard to how I sort files. And yet the mainstream public complains but doesn't seem to mind going out and buying a new system with 7, and 8. Or even worse most people refuse to acknowledge that all the great features of XP were removed or hidden in Windows 7 so they could be brought back in later versions and re sold as a new OS . It's sad. I won't get near Windows 8.

Last edited by a moderator:

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
Even worse, if you failed to get the 8.1 February update, Windows will never update again.

TravelingWind

That Bastard
Jun 27, 2012
Even worse, if you failed to get the 8.1 February update, Windows will never update again.
WELP, there goes what little credibility they still had..