Why Japanese wear skirts but Americans almost don't?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

happy Y

Dec 5, 2009
Why?

Why? Because they can. i mean an asian girl ('til about 30) could wear a "japanese schoolgirl outfit" without looking ridiculous. If a western chick would do that, she'd look like some desperate $20-Blowjob whore.

No seriously, I think it's more "en vogue" in Asia, and asian women just like to dress more elegant (except for french women) and western girls like it casual.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Just to clear up a point in Tricksters post, girls and boys in school wear their uniforms on the weekends because they have school related programs to attend on the weekends along with cram school which often requires the child to dress accordingly. It's not because the kids choose to, it's because they need to.

As for office women, many millions wear the black and sometimes grey tight skirts to work. It is part if most companies required uniform.

gizmogal

Nov 10, 2006
cause skirts are more uncomfortable for girls since they have to be on guard a 100% of the time to not get upskirted

Yep.
Plus, it gives of that "asking for it" ideal that man find is an excuse for assault or r***. Thanks, America. :\

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Yep.
Plus, it gives of that "asking for it" ideal that man find is an excuse for assault or r***. Thanks, America. :\

Fucking americans... Errr I mean..... No, no I'm pretty sure the first sentence was clear enough.

;)

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Say what?

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
What!

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
No, Whos on first.

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
No. What is on second.

cubia

Apr 14, 2008
a housewives wearing pants get a score 100 in scale of sexiness
another housewives wearing one piece long skirt get a score of 5000 in sexiness.
final housewives wearing mid-long skirt, turtleneck sweater, and open tip bra during winter get a score of 10 million jackpot. and if she wear earrings and no ring finger its a best 100 million prize in pride of banging her.

Oct 6, 2007
Rhinosaur: I don't know!

Sorry to digress.

We all know jack off a lot is a troll, but for anyone who is actually wondering the same thing, it's definitely a cultural thing. I agree so an extent with Aquamarine's comment on the climate, but even in Korea where it can be cold like a son of a bitch girls still wear the same type of things. In a country where pictures need to be handed in with resumes, girls need to be girls. Femininity is a huge thing East Asia. I personally love the whole one piece dress + black legging, sexy as hell...or short shorts / short skirt + black leggings.

Either way, if a girl/woman dresses too much like a guy in East Asia the odds of them getting a job are fairly slim because image is everything in most East Asian countries (I can have Korea and Japanese girls back this up).

The funniest thing about living in Vancouver (specifically due to the high volume of international students) after living abroad is most girls here don't always wear make up and dress down a lot more because they don't feel the need too. North America is a much more relaxed environment and they immediately realize that most people don't care about their appearance. The reason I'm always asked if I'm a half blood isn't because I have black hair and pale skin (that's only half true) it's because I dress WAY better than 90% of the Canadians that live in downtown Vancouver. Conceited? Yeah, I am, but it's not really hard to accomplish that.

chrisfallout

Jul 8, 2008
its not that. in America they want to look business like and not young school girl or catholic school girl. they want to to look business like and have no need for that at work. also help keep people in line too since stops people from causing mess at work too. since will cause work stoppage since people want to waste time looking at them and not work. also we do not have relax work clothes days too. since have to dress to impress not down dress.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
in America they want to look business like and not young school girl or catholic school girl. they want to to look business like and have no need for that at work.
Well there are a few differences. Amoung adolescents, in America most students don't have uniforms or dress codes. Fashion is a way for girls to express their individuality, and the fashion sense that is "sold" to them (by fashion magazines and pop culture) is that of Gucci, Burberry, Fendi, and so on.

In Japan, the school uniform is an inseperable part of growing up (required at almost every middle and high school). Individual fashion (私服) is just as pervasive, but the school uniform is just another innate part of their identity. They don't choose to wear school uniforms for any particular reason other than that it's just part of life.

As for adults, adults in Japan simply don't wear school uniforms. They wear standard clothes for everyday, and business attire for work, just like everyone else.

The only adults that continue to wear uniforms are people who cosplay or AV actresses, both of which are very small niches and do not represent "normal" people.

wirama

May 3, 2009
that is all stereotypes....... you have to live in Japan and the US to know what you think about the American and Japanese in your post is wrong. You better ask the right person for this like sociologist, or people who understand cultural differences, and also people who lives there (foreigner or natives). Good luck finding the answers, because I don't have it but I studied about culture (I'm not a student of culture, but I like reading lots of culture) :exhausted:

koji52

Jan 11, 2011
IMO...its like a fashion or a culture you might say in in there own country or whatever....when you go to Japan "i really want to go there" thats trade clothing for sexy young girls/women you could say...on the other hand if you go to European or US for that matter...its like a culture shock when you see Foreign women wearing clothing that are actually normal to them...well thats just my opinion though...
:hi:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Americans are workaholics and jeans fit into the religion of modern work better than skirts do.

In America it is work or starve for most people, (and work ain't easy to come by right now, 10% unemployement rate if your lucky in most areas). But yeah, jeans or slacks are more suited to equal oppurtunity jobs, they are utilitarian wear and skirts aren't. Still, there are jobs in the USA that still require skirts, just not that many.

i hope thats not a serious statement, japan is notorious for its hard working culture and life time employment practices along with the typical salaryman stereotypes

the skirts thing is a cultural thing of the current time period, women in the states were wearing skirts in the workplace and everywhere else in the 50s/60s, but after women's lib its become acceptable and encouraged that women wear pants too

Do you have a lot of Japanese woman dockworkers, forklift drivers, construction workers? I bet female Japanese chefs would not be caught dead in a skirt while they are working. There was a lot of crap that came with womens lib but it sure helped guarantee equal oppurtunities for women in work places that were denied them before. Pants are just more practical in most cases. ( I cant see a girl driving a front-end loader in a skirt)

Japan is a "legs" culture, whereas America is a "breasts" culture.

Have you actually seen any JAV? short on good size tits many of those girls are not. Besides skirts have nothing to do with a girl being able to show off her boobs and looking at boobs is a male pastime no matter where you are from. ("Eyes up here please" must be commonly said in every language).

women should wear skirt more,it is more atractive looking...fuck jeans...

Trust me, women have an idea of what is attractive, it is part of who they are. Women develop this unbelievable peripheal vision so they can see if guys are looking at them without anyone noticing. Plenty of American women wear skirts, (and dresses), but they do it when they want someone to notice their legs. Doesn't anyone here actually go to clubs? (I dont much anymore myself, too old for most of them). Has anyone ever heard of cheerleaders? not many pants on those gals. There is a huge diversity of womenwear in America and the women themselves are very diverse in all forms. So you arent going to see a lot of school girls in skirts unless it is a catholic or maybe a private school that requires them as part of the school uniform, (and there are thousands of schools in America that do). According to Census 2000, 281.4 million people were counted in the United States - 143.4 million of whom were female, (more than twice the amount of Japanese females and more than the entire population of Japan as of 2010). Making any general statement about that many people is just not a winning choice.

So why do Japanese women wear skirts? There are many good answers to that already in this thread...pick one.