Why do some half animal half human characters have human and animal ears?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
Why do some half animal half human characters have human and animal ears? I have seen hyperpolice, Asobi ni Iku yo!, Renkin San-kyuu Magical? Pokaan and few others where the half-animal half human characters have a actual set of animal ears on top of their head as well as actual human ears. If they are half animal half human shouldn't they have one of the other or perhaps animal ears that look almost human or human ears that look almost like animal ears? Perhaps with what seems like billions of people that frequent Akiba maybe someone can answer this question.

Asobi ni Iku yo!- cat people aliens
94547.jpg

97929.jpg

Hyperpolice - half cat monster half human
87065.jpg

Renkin San-kyuu Magical? Pokaan-Werewolf
54606.jpg

I understand that in some anime the characters are merely wearing fake ears or its just their hair made to kind of look like cat ears like Nozomi Kiriya in Mayoi Neko Overrun!.

Mayoi Neko Overrun! - human with her hair made to look like cat ears.
100090.jpg

Reactions: MasamiKito

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
if you want my opinion, you can make them look cuter, how many people stroke animal ears as opposed to human ears, most people stroke a cat or dog and they like it, but you stroke a human that you do not know, they would thump you, or report you for being a pervert, and those that you do know would think you are abnormal, so you can stroke these with ease

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
I understand that the whole people with animal ears is a fetish. But four ears on a character that is supposed to be half animal half human,why?

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I understand that the whole people with animal ears is a fetish. But four ears on a character that is supposed to be half animal half human,why?

Good question and I concur as to your confusion. Some thoughts on the subject:

From what I understand it is at the animators discretion. Catgirls aren't actual cats and the ears and tails are portrayed to emphasize their catlike attributes as well as their human ones. I suppose that adding human ears as well as cat ears could portray a more human attribute in a particular character by mimicing the cosplay theme. Remember, it is just animation; it is meant to merely reflect life on the artists drawboard, not resemble it.

tylersailer

Jan 24, 2011
This is quite an interesting topic. I never got that thought before.
Well, you might not feel well when you see a pretty girl with no human ears.
(No offensive against disability whatsoever)

Trivia: In Japanese animations, characters should have five fingers on their hands, even if the character is a monster or non-human-being because portraying a character with less than five fingers is considered offensive against disabled people. (check Yokai Ningen Bem)

Finally, I say Hi to Akiba Online. good to be here^^

Amano_Jyakol

Apr 27, 2011

It all boils down to the artist. Anime art is kinda exaggerated.
Having more than 1 body part is ingrained in Japanese folklore.
Ever heard of a Kitsune, 9 tailed fox?

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
because when drawn out, the human head just looks weird without its regular ears

I kinda think human ears look weird period.

Reactions: 1 person

Joelle

Apr 24, 2008
The short answer to this is that scorres can change it, poof! - and in a Tokyo moment.

Joelle

Sofer

Nov 18, 2009
You'r not alone with this non-logic fact of four ears..

Simply try to ignore the forusomeness and focus on the cute catgirls somewhere else~:tea:

Jul 12, 2008
The solution is to give your cat/dog/fox/wolfgirl hair that covers the part where their human ears would be, a la Horo or Ran or most all of them.