What's your favorite scary movie?

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I was wondering what your favoite horror flicks were. I always have a horrorfest around halloween time but I love a good horror movie in general.

My favorites would have to include:

Scream (could you tell from the thread title?)
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Dawn of the Dead
American Werewolf in London
Alien (best sci-fi horror series ever)
The Thing (John Carpenter version but they are both good)
ReAnimator (just cool as fuck)
Psycho (and the sequel)
The Ring (I liked the American version)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Evil Dead 2 (more of a comedy horror)
Poltergiest

A dozen of the best horror movies of all time.

The Prisoner

Number Six
Mar 3, 2008
The Shining with Jack Nicholson. More of a cerebral kind of scary, since there's very little violence in it. But watching Nicholson's descent in to madness, with the help of those evil spirits still gives me goosebumps.
Also like the first Hellraiser. :scared:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
The Shining with Jack Nicholson. More of a cerebral kind of scary, since there's very little violence in it. But watching Nicholson's descent in to madness, with the help of those evil spirits still gives me goosebumps.
Also like the first Hellraiser. :scared:

Two excellent choices!

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
What's your favorite scary movie? /pedant

Kung Fu Panda 2

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
Sorry Ceewan, I meant my editing. Wouldn't let me unbold my text.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
The grudge
Aliens
Poltergeist
The Blair Witch Project 2(I liked this one better than the first one)

horror comedies
Evil dead series
Dead Alive
Lo

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
My scariest movie was "Hard Candy."

It was way too real for me.

The only thing scary about that was the acting. The plot was thin and transparent. Personally I hated that sad excuse for a movie. I would rather watch the "Grudge" on acid than see that again.

ane-san

snow queen
Sep 25, 2008
shaun of the dead!!!

ok,now seriously...alien (and I mean the first part) and jaws..they`re not scary now,I adore them,but when I watched them as a kid,heh..they were scary ^^ˇ other than that,NOTHING compares to those sick old school movies like rosemarys baby,friday the 13th, exorcist,manhunter...and such. :scared:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
ok,now seriously...alien (and I mean the first part) and jaws..they`re not scary now,I adore them,but when I watched them as a kid,heh..they were scary ^^ˇ other than that,NOTHING compares to those sick old school movies like rosemarys baby,friday the 13th, exorcist,manhunter...and such. :scared:

Being that there is no discussion thread of any interest ATM....I guess I will throw my two cents down on this one.

Alien: Great movie but a little slow paced at times, honestly the second one was better if not scarier.

Jaws: Awesome choice and a good one, IMHO. I saw this when it first came out on the big screen. I sat in the first row and my best friends 12 year old sister was laughing at me because I kept, (and I mean literally), rising out of my seat. I didn't swim in the ocean again for at least five years. That movie got its' message across.

You want to see a great and surprising shark horror movie watch "Open Water", (Link), based on the true story of two scuba divers accidentally stranded in shark infested waters after their tour boat has left. Slow paced but surprising gripping and well done.

Old school movies: I won't say they aren't great but I think the cinematography is better now and the special effects back then were horrendous. I love the old classics, don't misunderstand me, but some of the newer stuff out is definetly worth watching and every bit as good, if not better.

Just my opinions of course.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
If you have never been served with papers from a lawyer representing a psycho bitch out to destroy you, it may not strike home. There are some truly f__ked up women out there that will say or do anything for money or vengence. Luckily I had a more expensive attorney so she never cut my balls off.

I am not saying the movie did not have its' proponents, it was critically acclaimed, in some circles. I, however did not like the movie at all. As far as a "Women Revenge" movies go, (and there are a host of them), it was way below average in my book. Hard Candy would be more classified as a psychological thriller as well, (although I certainly understand your classification).

In my opinion there are better movies of this gender and well worth watching:

1. Kill Bill (Volume 1 and 2)
Probably the best female revenge film of all time with tons of action and great acting. Technically an action film.

2. I Spit on Your Grave (1978)
Not the best acted or scripted movie, by any standards. This is probably the most famous of the r***-Revenge genre of horror movies however, so it is worth watching just because of that alone.

3. Carrie (1976)
A true horror movie, (and a great book by Stephen King), this is revenge horror at its' best with nice performances by Sissy Spacek, John Travolta, Amy Irving and especially Piper Laurie. It was nominated for two Oscars.

4. Happy Birthday To Me (1981) and Sleepaway Camp (1983)
Worthy of mention as they are just great classic whodunit revenge-slasher flicks. I love those types of movies and these classics are the inspiration for movies such as "Scream" and "I Know What You Did Last Summer".

There are plenty more "revenge" films but hopefully you get the point I was trying to make. Believe it or not I understand yours. Females can be scary, vindictive bitches. No doubt about it. If you are going to watch a movie about one, make it a good one.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
The only thing scary about that was the acting. The plot was thin and transparent. Personally I hated that sad excuse for a movie. I would rather watch the "Grudge" on acid than see that again.

Watching the Grudge on acid? I wonder what that would be like?

ezepietro

(。◕‿◕。)
Sep 7, 2008
Arachnophobia (1990)

I hate spider :scared:

[fullattach]542624[/fullattach]

[fullattach]542625[/fullattach]

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Arachnophobia (1990)

Excellent choice! Of the Horror-Comedy genre and one of the best. While some movies in this arena of horror seem to be more about the laughs this one had some excellent scarey moments and was performed well by all involved, (John Goodmans perfomance as the exterminator was off the hook!).

Other great movies in this arena you might give a try are:

1. Slither (2006):
A sci-fi horror but also fits in this category, one of my favorites. Alien slugs invade the Earth and while slugs aren't spiders they are still pretty disgusting.

2. Lost Boys (1987):
One of the most classic vampire movies ever made with Corey Haim, Kiefer Sutherland, Jami Gertz, and Corey Feldman giving standout performances.

3. Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988):
A cult classic and a must see! Although probably more horror going on here than comedy it is hard not to laugh, even when you shouldn't.

4. Idle hands (1999):
Just a great scarey movie starring a young and breathtaking Jessica Alba, a hilarious Seth Green and a convincing performance by the star Devon Sawa. This movie has everything you wanted in a horror movie, good laughs and a great soundtrack.

ane-san

snow queen
Sep 25, 2008
I`d say that best "comedy" horror I watched was definetly Rare Exports =)

[youtube]2pH9IyqTk1E[/youtube]

I`m pretty sure it was done as "normal" horro but when you watch it,you can`t stop laughing :D the same as with Dead Snow, or Shaun of the dead :pandalaugh:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I saw the blueray edition of "Shark Night" just recently and while I didn't have very high expectations it was really a pretty damn decent horror flick. No nudity, (which is very disappointing considering a few hot babes in the cast), but bikinis, good acting, a decent plot, a bit of gore and not too horrible special effects.....it is well worth the dime to watch it in my book. Not an Oscar winner by any means but an enjoyable way to kill a bag of popcorn.

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
rather than whole movies, i remember some scenes which didn't let me sleep for several days when i was a kid

Fright Night
View attachment 545803

Evil Dead 2 (i buried her in the cellar...)
View attachment 545806

The Exorcist (friggin' spider walk, and i don't wanna search for images...)

The first Phantasm was pretty brutal, from a teen perspective (the flying ball with the drill...)

The first two Alien flicks would have been really scary, if they weren't also amazing, so those don't count

Recent movies, uhmm... i don't know

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
The first Phantasm was pretty brutal, from a teen perspective (the flying ball with the drill...)

Great choices!

Phantasm is a movie I hadn't thought of in awhile. Although the sequels did not live up to the expectactions of the first film, (which is par for the course), I watched everyone of them. It was a great series and the first of that series, (Phantasm), is not only very original but one of the better horror flicks ever made, IMHO. (Personally I love teen horror flicks, more action).