What's the best DVD ripper?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

koikeine

Apr 22, 2010
Hello,

What's the best open source DVD ripper?.

I like the Matroska format (MKV). I suggest that people ripping in this format than post an ISO image, it's good, high cuality, and lower weight.

Post a thread to learn making a HD ripping video, o let me an old thread to explain this.

Thank you ! Arigatou ! :evil:

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
thread moved

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
What's the best open source DVD ripper?.
Most of the high quality rips on this site are made with MeguIV. The easiest way to make a high-quality rip is to follow the instructions in that thread. MeguIV is Rollyco's tweak of meGUI. meGUI is an integrated front-end for a collection of ripping and encoding tools. However, use MeguIV unless you're an expert.

I like the Matroska format (MKV). I suggest that people [should be] ripping in this format than [instead of] post an ISO image, [because of] it's good, high cuality, and lower weight.
The Matroska format does not affect quality. Read that again. Matroska is a container, it is just a 'bag' to hold the video and audio content together. People use it because it is flexible.

There are two reasons why some rips are high quality and some are not:
(1) Main reason: deinterlacing. DVDs and some Blu-rays are interlaced. The better rips here use high quality but slow methods to deinterlace. The poor rips use simple, fast and ugly methods instead
(2) Second reason: the H264 video codec. This is probably the best compression format for video - it can create smaller files with high quality. Most MKV files here contain H264 video content

MeguIV uses good deinterlacing and the H264 codec, so it produces high quality rips.

Reactions: 1 person