What do you use to edit video?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

amateur

Dec 9, 2008
Thanks for this thread because I've also been on a quest to find the right video editing software. My needs are very simple. I just want to cut out and save good scenes from some films so that I can free up some storage. I've had problems trying to use Windows Movie Maker. After I publish a clipped scene, I cannot open it again in WMP or even VLC. I can a blue band and a faint ghost of an image across the top. I'm not doing something right. Anyone got a clue?

xater

Bibitur Semper
Jun 5, 2007
mkvmerge, it works for avi too, although the result will be mkv, the encoding is the same.

For DVDisos, I use DVDRemake, you can select scenes to be left out (like company logos, trailers to other movies, or simply scenes not wanted)

Joelle

Apr 24, 2008
@ All Responders.

I'm blown away by all the help and responses by so many really goodgifted, and talented dudes/dudesses that share liberally and generously what they know.

I'm always amazed by the goodness and class here, thank all of you as I'm hoping to learn this.

Joelle

scorres

Hetero-sapien
Apr 12, 2009
amatuer

I took some time and thought about this and tried movie maker
to clip full a dvd. There are a couple things I need to know though.
Have you ever had success using it for any purpose? In my settings under
tools/options/compatabilites I have them all checked except for ffdshow
video decoder.
They suggest that you try knocking out one of these at a time to see if it works.
I suggest making short clips as you test this.
Also make sure you are playing the right file. Each time you make a movie,
it saves a file called untitled.MSWMM. That is the backup file. the movie should be somewhere else with a wmv extention.
I wouldn't mind troubleshooting this further if you need, because this is a great program,
and fun to use.

xater's rec. above is the quickest free solution for you, if you don't mind mkv.
It's non-visual, so get out the notepad and do this
00:00:00,00:00:00,00:00:00,00:00:00,00:00:00,00:00:00,00:00:00,00:00:00
then load your movie (into MPC or VLC)and insert the times you want it to split. beginning and ending.
00:05:33,00:11:44,00:22:44,00:55:33 this will makes 5 pieces, delete the parts you don't want, and then the original.

I use AVI MPEG ASF WMV Splitter by boilsoft, but you gotta pay or find a crack for it.
It is the easiest, but it doesn't do mp4 flv mov etc.

amateur

Dec 9, 2008
I took some time and thought about this and tried movie maker
to clip full a dvd. There are a couple things I need to know though.
Have you ever had success using it for any purpose? In my settings under
tools/options/compatabilites I have them all checked except for ffdshow
video decoder.
They suggest that you try knocking out one of these at a time to see if it works.
I suggest making short clips as you test this.
Also make sure you are playing the right file. Each time you make a movie,
it saves a file called untitled.MSWMM. That is the backup file. the movie should be somewhere else with a wmv extention.
I wouldn't mind troubleshooting this further if you need, because this is a great program,
and fun to use.

xater's rec. above is the quickest free solution for you, if you don't mind mkv.
It's non-visual, so get out the notepad and do this
00:00:00,00:00:00,00:00:00,00:00:00,00:00:00,00:00:00,00:00:00,00:00:00
then load your movie (into MPC or VLC)and insert the times you want it to split. beginning and ending.
00:05:33,00:11:44,00:22:44,00:55:33 this will makes 5 pieces, delete the parts you don't want, and then the original.

I use AVI MPEG ASF WMV Splitter by boilsoft, but you gotta pay or find a crack for it.
It is the easiest, but it doesn't do mp4 flv mov etc.

Hey, thanks a lot for this thoughtful, well-researched follow up! I wasn't expecting that anyone in the community would put such time into an answer. To answer your question, sometimes the program will work and sometimes not. Also, I've saved stuff to storage and then sometimes find it won't play later. I'll try the steps you suggest and see if I can make any headway on the compatibility issues. I'll also try the other programs you suggest.

I've always just saved whole DVDs in the past, but the newer high res versions are really eating up the storage. I'm trying to keep my whole video collection on a 500GB portable drive. That's not as much space as it used to be. I've got a bunch of films with only one or two good scenes and I'd like to trim.

Thanks again. I'll follow up.