what are you watching? (tv shows)

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Survivors (1975)

although remake (2008) is good too,so I recommend it.

that a movie? never mind, I googled it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072572/ (1975)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1258189/ (2008)

I am surprised that it came out before Stephen Kings epic "The Stand" , (the book not the mini-series), which was published in 1978. Very likely the inspiration was instead "Earth Abides" written in 1949 by George R. Stewart which last went to print in 2008, ( honestly I picked that tidbit up from wiki, like I would know any of that). I had watched the 2008 series, (I had forgotten the name of the series though), it was great and I was pissed it got cut due to ratings. Very well acted I thought. I will put the 1975 series on my "to watch" list, thx.

I found a torrent for the original series at TPB. I won't link to it but if you visit there and are interested look at user darthmaul141172 and of course the 2008 series can be found there as well.

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
this thread has been left for dead so i will add a couple...

SOA! i was totally skeptical about this when i read the summary but got hooked from the first episode.

Suits. pretty cool.

Rescue me. just started on season 1 so no comment yet.

Burn Notice. cool.

Rubicon. this is kinda on the back-burner atm. just cant get my teeth into it.

Nip-Tuck. just finished season 1 and am just clearing out some unfinished shows before going back for season 2.

The Mentalist. have left this at season 1 for the meantime.

Red Dwarf from season 6 onward. it was one of my fav shows back in the day. how much our tastes change...

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
this thread has been left for dead so i will add a couple...

Actually I forgot about this thread myself. Thanks for breathing a little life into it.

Notes:
Rescue Me- They retired the show but to be honest the last two seasons showed they were losing interest and Dennis O'Leary has already moved on to a new show.

Rubicon- I thought had great potential, AMC didn't and it was cancelled after the first season.

Spartacus- Second season sucked but at least there was violence and nudity.

On to the shows:

Sunday

Dexter- Still the best on TV but the competition has gotten better and after six seasons it is work making an hour drama fresh, credible and interesting.

The Walking Dead- I wouldn't miss an episode.

666 Park Avenue(New)- Starring Terry O'Quinn who I have loved ever since he starred in the original horror movie Stepfather but made a name for himself as Locke in Lost. It is interesting for a horror movie but it airs against tough competion.

Copper (New)- If ya missed its' first season don't miss its' second next year.

The Good Wife- Still watch it still like it.

Once Upon a Time- Like it but if you haven't been watching it I suggest you start with season one. It is as orginal as it gets storyline wise.

Monday

Hawaii Five-0- Stopped watching it even though I still luv Grace Park. The show lacks script support and acting alone will not help that.

Revolution(New)- thought I would hate it but I luv it. The only reason I have to watch anything on Monday this fall.

Tuesday

Go On(New)- Starring Mathew Perry from Friends and I think this is the funniest he has ever been. If that is enough for you give the show a try.

Pretty Little Liars- The girls are hot and sexy and the script is interesting. I will be watching it.

Wednesday

The Middle- Still watch it and still think it is funny.

Modern Family- Great show.

Suburgatory- Still watching it but with resevations: Last seasons love triangle with the pregnant suragote vegetarian mother was in bad taste. At least they ditched her this year.

Nashville (New)- Great fucking show but if you don't like country music skip it. Starring Hayden Panettiere, (from Heroes), who can not only act, she can effing sing, (yes it is really her voice too).

Survivor-Still the best reality show on tv.

Arrow(New)- I like it so far but a show about the Green Arrow is a risky venture. He never made it as a regular comic series back in my day, (and no I no longer read comic books. They cost too damn much, lol).

Chicago Fire(New)- I am watching it but we will see how long they can keep it interesting. The best looking chick is a lez, what a waste. Rescue Me is a tough act to follow.

X-Factor- Last Season sucked eggs but I like Simon Cowell so I have been watching it. Much better so far this season. Simon learns from his mistakes.

continued......

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Thursday

Last Resort (New)- The premise for this drama is so ridiculous for a weekly series I had to watch it. Surprisingly I am still watching it.

Person of Interest- I don't see this show winning any awards but if you like vigilante stuff give it a try. Good cast and good writing help any series and that is certainly the case here.

Elementary (New)- Modern day Sherlock Holmes in New York. Why the hell am I watching this? With House no longer around I need some smart ass know it all to watch on tv and though this guy is not that funny, he is at least interesting.

The Vampire Diaries- Yes, I have not given up on this show yet but for the life of me I know not why.

Friday

Touch- I liked Kiefer Sutherland last year and the show was fresh. I will watch it this year.

Nikita- I just like the action in this show. Great fight scenes.

Community- I have been a big fan of this show but it went through a lot of changes in the off-season. It makes me nervous when Hollywood tweeks with perfection.

Grimm- I admit I started watching this but I don;t think I would reccomend it. Like Once Upon A Time if you haven't been watching it you should watch the first season, (which was pretty good).

Saturday

Star Wars: The Clone Wars- well there just isn't much else to watch on Saturday.

Merlin (BBC)- I still like it. The girl playing Morgana, (Katie McGrath), is a stone cold fox and I would walk hot coals to kiss her feet. Sorry, I got carried away there.

That is basically what I am watching and what I no longer am watching.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Other shows I will admit to watching...

Yu-gi-oh Zexal from cartoonplanet- So I like to watch Yugi-oh cartoons, does that make me a bad person? At least I don't watch Pokemon, (is that even still on?)

Young Justice Invasion from the same- Not as good as the first season where they were like the Teen Titans but still an interesting superhero cartoon not made for little kids, (made for big kids).

Sons of Guns- I find the topic and characters interesting and amusing even if it is about an up-and-coming gunsmith shop and obviously heavly edited though not exactly scripted.

Mike & Molly (Monday night)- I have been trying to kick this habit. The fat jokes, (although funny), get old and the "over the top", politically correct Molly grates on my nerves. The supporting cast though, ( namely; Katy Mixon, Swoosie Kurtz, and Louis Mustillo), steal the show week after week and are hilarious and far from politically correct.

South Park- I just can't get enough of Cartman and Butters. The writers have no boundaries at all and agree with them or not, I respect these sick bastards.

American Horror Story- Last season was wicked and I am curious if they can keep up the quality.

NFL- I had almost stopped watching this because I no longer have a tv but now torrents abound and I can watch every game if I want to. Usually four or five games a week will do if I have time, (Sunday early game, Sunday late game, Sunday night game, Monday night and sometimes Thursday).

Shows I stopped watching-

Gordon Ramsey shows, (too many too count)- I luv this guy but after awhile it is like watching the same show. The F-Word on BBC was his best IMO.

Do I watch too much television on my computer? Yes I do. It is cheaper than going to McDonalds though, which is out of my budget at the moment. The great thing about getting these shows off the internet is no commercials and I don't have to pay an exorbant amount to my cable company just to watch what I want, when I want to.

Gir633

Señor Member
Oct 28, 2008
I mostly watch Japanese dramas, which I have a huge backlog of, but this year at least for now I'm watching quite a bit of domestic TV.

Once upon a time, Amazing Race, New Girl, Grim, Fringe, Elementary, The Soup, and Community if it comes on. It was suppose to primer last week, but that has been put off until "sometime this winter".

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Once upon a time, Amazing Race, New Girl, Grim, Fringe, Elementary, The Soup, and Community if it comes on. It was suppose to primer last week, but that has been put off until "sometime this winter".

Community will air on Fridays, starting November 2nd, 8:30pm EST

Community Season four was scheduled to premiere on Friday, Oct 19, 2012, but...
NBC has delayed the return of "Community", and "Whitney", saying, "When we have a better idea of viewing patterns in the next few weeks, we will announce new season premieres of Whitney and Community."

======================================================
Additonal Information:
======================================================

http://www.tvrage.com/Community
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_(TV_series)
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/community/EP01154162
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1439629/
http://www.nbc.com/community/

Gir633

Señor Member
Oct 28, 2008
The last I read didn't have the date, and they were iffy on whether it would come on or not (and I didn't look around for other news about it). So that's good to know.

I've been watching South Park off and on on the South Park site. I think that's the nicest official on-line episode site I've seen so far, as every episode from the start of the show (except the Mohammad ones) is there. And if you watch it with Firefox and Addblock there are no commercials or waiting the time where the commercials would be it not blocked it just plays continuously on for the whole episode. I would say that Butters is my favorite character, followed by Kenny, but Cartman has his moments. I've picked up and use one of his phrases, "Screw you guys... I'm going home." Especially at the end of work.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
I regularly watch the following shows.Generally I will record or download the shows and watch them at my convenience.

Arrow
Dexter
Mexico one plate at a time
Transformers Prime
Young Justice
Green Lantern Animated
Ultimate Spiderman
This Old House
Ask This Old House
Barbecue University
Supernatural
Doctor Who
Robot Chicken
American Dad
The Simpsons
The Cleveland Show
Family Guy
South Park

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Burn Notice - on Thursday nights.

Starring the not so well known Jeffrey Donovan, who does an excellent job and backed up by a superb supporting cast including Bruce Cambell and Sharon Gless. Sharon Gless really throws everything into her part, I have no idea why she has such passion for this role but her performance is often worth watching just on its' own merit. After almost six seasons the shows stays interesting and provides plenty of action and explosions that can make one forget some of the weak sub-plots that occassion the show.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I think, that you commit an error. I can prove it. Write to me in PM.

My life could be considered one big error followed by another. If you think you got me on an error, call me on it. I am not shy. Basically though, I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
My life could be considered one big error followed by another. If you think you got me on an error, call me on it. I am not shy. Basically though, I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

he didnt quote your post so it may not have been intended for you...

the content of your post doesnt really warrant contention does it?

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
he didnt quote your post so it may not have been intended for you...

the content of your post doesnt really warrant contention does it?

Not really but I am not sure what post in this thread did, he was really way out in left field. So I thought I would take a poke at him and see if I could get clarification, screw sending him a pm. To be honest I think he posted in the wrong thread or something, maybe he just had too much saki.

Of course any opinion could be contested. Bruce Cambell in Burn Notice could be said to carry the show from time to time, no doubt there, his natural wit and impeccable delivery makes him a bonus no matter what part he is playing. He doesn't quite have the same power as a lead actor as he once did though, not since Evil Dead 3 anyway. The TV movie based on his character, "Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe", really stunk to high heavens.

Sharon Gless, the once semi-talented star from Cagney & Lacey, was never really a power player in hollywood and made her living starring in TV movies and guest starring roles in weekly series. Very attractive in her day but she never really achieved superstar status. But she has been acting for over "40 years" and she really has come to her own as a mature actress. She does not phone in her performance in Burn Notice, which for some reason I seem constantly surprised over.

I din't mention Gabrielle Anwar either who stars as the ex-IRA love interest but that is because I didn't think she was a big standout. Her performance is okay and sometimes enjoyable and that is about as far as I go.

Probably my most controversial statement might have been about Jeffrey Donovan not being so well known. Despite his list of credits I didn't recognize him when I first saw the show and I never saw him in his starring role in the critically acclaimed, but cancelled first season, "Touching Evil". So as far as I am concerned, he is basically an obscure but well traveled actor who only now has made his mark with the success of this series.

Sry, I luv TV talk and kind of got carried away.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Saturday nights 10pm(?) EST TBS:

Wedding Band- Generally Saturday is where they send progams to die and this program hasn't been picked up by EZTV or any of the other major tv torrent sites. I found it on Tvteam torrent, who posts so many TV torrents they border on spamming, (and I admire them for that, truly and honestly I do).

It is an hour comedy show, (41 to 42 minutes of actual play time), with ten episodes so far ordered by TBS and picked up in Canadia, the UK and Australia. The writing is fairly lame but not totally yet there are some highlights that make this watchable, at least for me:

1. Good musical performances. We are not talking Rolling Stones here but we are talking Adam Sandler in Wedding Singer which I am sure was the inspiration for this show.

2. Brian Austin Green steals the show in the lead role. He has really come into his own the last five years or so and is way too good for this role...much to the benefit of the show.

3. The cast has some chemistry...they might have something real here.

So give Wedding Band a shot if the oppurtunity comes your way, if the show gets picked up for a full season TBS might have a rare winner here. Of course many of my favorites get dumped by the networks but networks are run by total idiots and bean counters, (granted they are RICH idiots and bean counters but that just means they know how to make money, not quality programming).

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
canceled

The carnage begins; Canceled:

Boss-
in a move of unbelievable idiocy Starz has cancelled "Boss" starring Kelsey Grammar after only two seasons in which the show earned a Golden Globe award for the star in which he, in not just my opinion but that of many, gave the best performance of his career. He not only carried the show which was well written and had a good solid supporting cast, he was virtuoso in the role. My dissappointment in this decision is monumental.

Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue have got the axe from ABC who would not know a winner if it bit them. I will miss Terry O'Quinns performance in 666 Park Avenue. Personally I thought these shows were fairly interesting but I am used to these decisions by the bean counters in Hollywood and ABC in particular.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Banshee

Friday Nights:

Banshee - which, after watching the first time not having any idea as to its' orgin, I thought was a BBC show. Turns out it is a Skinamax (Cinemax) production. The pilot show was quite good with good acting, action sequences and a nice tempo. Not boring at all. There does seem to be some predictable themes though so despite being centered around a Pennsyvania Amish community I fear less than original writing and plot will be involved. Haven't seen anymore than just the one show so I will give them the chance to prove me wrong. I admit there is nothing like it currently being done. Just 10 shows have so far been ordered for the 1st season.

"Banshee" is set in a small town in Pennsylvania Amish country and features an enigmatic ex-con/martial arts expert posing as a murdered sheriff who imposes his own brand of justice while also cooking up plans that serve his own interests.

Antony Starr............ as Lucas Hood
Ben Cross................ as Mr. Rabbit
Cedric Stewart.......... as Damien Sanchez
Frankie Faison........... as Sugar Bates
Ivana Milicevic.......... as Carrie Hopewell
Rus Blackwell............ as Gordon Hopewell
Ryann Shane............. as Deva Hopewell
Ulrich Thomsen.......... as Proctor
Joseph Gatt............... as The Albino
Chelsea Cardwell....... as Beaty