Video player with preview function?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Hello everyone, :hihi:

currently I'm using VLC and MPC for viewing video files. But one function I always miss in these players: A preview. I mean this little preview pics when you move your mouse on the progress bar. YouTube and also sites like XVideos.com have such a preview function in their players.

Does anyone know a (good) player which has that? Or maybe a plugin for VLC?

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
MPC-BE has such a feature, you just have to enable "Use the preview in the search" option under Interface.

It's also the player I'm using(although I never enabled that function since it loads the video twice to achieve that assuming they haven't changed it since the beginning so it might make things a tad slower, but I didn't notice it when I enabled it a few seconds ago) so I think it's quite good after you play in the options a bit if you're used to MPC-HC since a couple of default options are different and I apparently like all of MPC-HC's defaults.

Reactions: 1 person

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Okay, I tried it. I worked very well. For me it seems they do it just-in-time. At least there was no gap between starting the playback of the movie and the playback itself. The only negative thing - but totally okay for me - is, that if you just move the mouse a little bit too fast over the progress bar you get the same preview picture for the whole movie. But if you do it at a moderate speed you have the same functionality like at YouTube or XVideos.com.

Again thank you very much. :gayprance:

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
If you want an alternative, I just remembered that Light Alloy also has that feature, but I haven't used it in over a year so not sure if you need to do something to enable it or if it's on by default.

I wasn't a big fan of the way it worked so I haven't used it much.