Video encodes 2 seconds longer than original...help?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

rawdawg

Nov 20, 2008
Im a novice with codecs and converting..I downloaded and installed the latest versions of K-lite codec pack...Handbrake and Freemake Video Converter (I read its much faster than Handbrake)..

So im converting several videos ive gotten from akiba but when its converted, the resultant video is 2-3 seconds longer than the original..Ive set the framerate to the same as original and didnt change settings for sound either.

Any opinions or thoughts on why this may happen? I dont seem to see anything like broken codecs or the linke. any help would be appreciated!

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
It's very likely because the source filter(what's loading the video) is directshow based which is not frame accurate so you can lose or gain a couple compared to the original. Those will show as frozen or missing frames when you watch it.
Is it only happening with freemake or also with handbrake? Handbrake has to have a way to load video that isn't based on directshow(which is windows only) since it also work on linux so I would expect it to use ffmpeg instead or something like that which is usually pretty good.
I don't know if there's a way to choose how the video is loaded with those software, I use avisynth myself so I know exactly what's done to my videos(but there's a bit of learning involved since it's a bit more complicated to use).

When you're encoding, faster almost certainly mean lower quality so it's not necessarily a good thing.