Movie Codecs and Help..

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Sosi

Crazy Seeder
Jan 18, 2007
Ok i know theres always someone on fourms that are new and dont know how to play the Hentai or JAV eps they get so im gonna give what has always worked for me and has never let me down...

First off you will need this codec pack which is wonderful!!!

http://www.cccp-project.net/

Combined Community Codec Pack is what this is called and you can install it with players or without (i usually install just the codecs so without players)...

Also another "codec" you will probably need for anything is DivX which can be found here...

http://www.divx.com/

DivX is used with a majority of movies now a days so make sure you download it and you should be good... (they are starting to have streaming divx movies etc etc so its great to have this codec)

And finally i would recommend VLC player which can be found here...

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

This player is a clean cut dry player that is really fast without all the fancy stuff... It does have all the controls and if you are playing hentai/JAV or anything that is subbed usually you have to go to "Video" option then to "Subtitle Track" then go to one of the listed options other than "Disable.."

With both of these things you should be able to play any kind of media file out there, of course realplayer/quicktime files will play better on thier own players it is recommended to get them but is not 100% needed since VLC really plays mostly everything... If you are still having trouble playing the file because it wont open or things of that nature you might have to rename the file... Lately i have been getting files like that but its no sweat just a extra step! XD Hope this helps and if you have any questions please feel free to post here and if i cant answer you then im sure someone else can...

UPDATED 1-23-07 - Added Divx Codec

akuma2002

Moe is my life!
Nov 8, 2006
VLC is good to play corrupted or incomplete movies, but i still prefer Media Player Classic.

Sosi

Crazy Seeder
Jan 18, 2007
I use WMP to watch entire anime series..

I have:
Windows Media Player
Real Player (rarely use)
QuickTime (rarely use)
VLC

i stay using WMP for everything i dont use vlc for because it plays everything pretty much without lag or any problems thanks to DivX & CCCP Codec packs!!

p.s. Updated my first post to add DivX codec!!! (cant belive i forgot about it lol)

Leechasd

Eye of The Beholder
Nov 16, 2006
http://www.codecguide.com/

K-Lite Full FTW. Personally I use this to view all my video files without flaw. The only apps I have installed seperately is CoreAVC and Divx. Divx has come a long way in terms of quality and to me personally it looks nicer than xvid. It could just mean that I will be flamed by Xvid fanfreaks and the like. Or it could mean that the anime encoders really suck at encoding with xvid since most aren't crips, clear and under control ;) Before it was all divx 3.0 alpha before xvid ever came out. Ah the good times with fiddling around with 3ivx =3

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
Gotta agree that divx isn't too bad anymore.
I'm still more for h264.
I can't say that h264 is fast nor cpu friendly, but of all my experimenting with divx, xvid and h264 while encoding clips I've captured from games, h264 ALWAYS came out on top in terms of quality/size.

For codec packs, I recommend CCCP or K-Lite. Not both at the same time, as they might/will conflict.
As for using those codecs, I highly recommend MPC (Media Player Classic).
VLC is also great, of course, but it has its flaws.
Mainly that softsubs get butt-ugly in it.

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
What does butt-ugly look like?

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
Like attached pics shows.
Left is MPC and right is VLC.
Also, when there's a lot of text, like karaoke, the subs may overlap in VLC.

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
Ah, thats a good show and...

mpc is the way to go

lucanaoe

Apr 4, 2007
Gotta agree that divx isn't too bad anymore.
I'm still more for h264.
I can't say that h264 is fast nor cpu friendly, but of all my experimenting with divx, xvid and h264 while encoding clips I've captured from games, h264 ALWAYS came out on top in terms of quality/size.

Do you use some GUI'd encoder to encode your h264's? does it work with vob files? Is it free ware or full functioning trial ware?

If you answered yes to all, could you provide a link to download please? Can't seem to find a good full & free encoder anywhere. If you just use an mencoder linux script or something nevermind... >_< that's too complex for me.

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah, it's free.
I use VirtualDUB, which doesn't support much other than avi and mpg, but if you find some program that can encode into other formats, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Easiest way to aquire a good ui for encoding h264, is to install K-Lite, and making sure to check everything labeled h264 or CoreAVC.

Roronoa Zoro

Feb 3, 2008
I'm not sure if it's a question already answered by the posts on here but, I downloaded a movie from this website's download section and it's in a '.avi.003' format. Somehow it doesn't seem to work on my VLC player or Zoom player. I have CCCP installed too ... help guys?

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
Hello Roronoa Zoro

I'm not sure if it's a question already answered by the posts on here but, I downloaded a movie from this website's download section and it's in a '.avi.003' format. Somehow it doesn't seem to work on my VLC player or Zoom player. I have CCCP installed too ... help guys?

I think you may need to download the other files first then use a zip or a join file first before you can play it. I use hi-join to join the files first, if needed I also use 7-zip. I hope this helps.

Roronoa Zoro

Feb 3, 2008
Whoa, thanks for the help! I would usually just download Part 1 for instance, and then try and view it to see whether I liked it or not. And, it'd never work. I'll try what you suggested, merci!

Mar 10, 2008
Just wanted to mention: If you're using VLC media player only, you don't need to install any codec package. VLC will not benefit of it, because it's using it's own "codec package". On windows the vlc lib files (plugins/codecs) are usually stored in %ProgrammFiles%/VideoLAN/VLC/plugins.

The only exception are new windows media formats, in this case you should enable automatic codec download in windows media player and let wmp download the codec, after that every player should be able to play the new format.

Malkav

Jan 5, 2009
hey i was just having trouble with a particular rmvb file
http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53013

I have gotten the latest k-lite codec pack. CCC as well as a few others mentioned here... the problem is either "unable to render" or video & audio does not work and i get the whole grainy video camera thing going on.. any help would be appreciated

By the way sorry for the whole thread necro thing, even though it is a sticky..

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
i don't know about K-lite but CCCP by itself cannot play rmvb files, u need to get real alternative in order to play rmvb files in MPC

Malkav

Jan 5, 2009
nup :( i still get "unable to render".

I am not sure because i have used a lot of players which should allow it to work & the torrent seems fine im just not sure what it is, i mean the best ive gotten is the screen with the title down the bottom with the rest of the screen all grainy and changing colours

thank you though :)

any other help though is welcomed