Usenet instead?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

infiniter

Nov 20, 2009
I know this forum is about file hosters, but in some way Usenet providers are file hosters, too.
What I wonder is, why we all do not host the files we share here on Usenet? I have been using Usenet, Bittorrent, file hosters and eDonkey on the past 10 years, but Usenet is by far the best. It has so many advantages:

1. Usenet providers hold files up to 1700 days (retention), depending on the company.
File hosters never do that and new users can easily find older posts on Usenet, rather than torrents where the user have taken them from the upload queue since long, to use bandwidth for newer files.

2. It is much faster than bittorrent
100MBit lines can easily be served. Always.

3. It does not costs more than files hosters.
Ok, there are cheaper file hosters, who "only" charge $12 per month, but they have limitations like quota per day. Usenet providers, like for example Astraweb, do not limit anything for $15.

4. There are no good search engines for file hosters or for bittorrent.
There are search engines for almost anything, but they differ. Usenet search engines usually find what you look for, make an NZB and there you go. Directly, no waiting. On bittorrent, it is waiting and waiting for seeders.

For example, if you look for "TASKJ" or other idol disc IDs posts on Usenet, you'll find a few in group ab.japan.fashion-j-class, but only there and not as much as here. That's actually a pity. :puzzled:
The only disadvantage of Usenet: uploaders do not get any money like they do when using file hosters. But that's anyway not the purpose of sharing.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008

infiniter

Nov 20, 2009
Ok, but there are only a few and, if I see this correct, no U15 postings. The rest is available on Usenet anyway.