Unable to download .torrent file

taboolover

Apr 1, 2007
Hi all. Hope you can help me with a problem.

When I click on the attached torrent file on a post, the pop-up option to Save doesn't show, it just keeps trying to connect.

On other sites, I need to use magnet links.

I'm using Firefox 13.0.1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and the BitComet client.

Is my ISP blocking the download? Maybe a problem with my registry?

Thanks for any help!

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Try right clicking on the torrent link and choose the option "Save link as". You should have your Options set accordingly; (left click Orange Firefox tab in top left hand corner, mouse over options, left click options on the right, left click General at top left, click the option Always ask me where to save file).

I have been asking for magnet link support for over a year but even with over four thousand posts I was basically told that it was too much trouble too add and if a real "contributor" was too ask they would consider it. I have to tell you, I was not happy at the response. But it is what it is. Even though converting to magnet links would not only save space and improve board performance torrents are seriously not considered important enough to matter. I guess we should just consider ourselves lucky they support bittorrent links here at all and work around it best we can.

Good Luck to you.

taboolover

Apr 1, 2007
Thanks, Ceewan. I did what you suggested but Firefox still won't save the .torrent file. An error message popped up saying the source file can't be read.

However, I found a workaround from online articles. I tried txtor and thankfully, it worked. But I agree with you that magnet links would be great here.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks, Ceewan. I did what you suggested but Firefox still won't save the .torrent file. An error message popped up saying the source file can't be read.

A lot of that has to do with specific browser settings. I turned on Firefox, ( I no longer use Firefox to visit here myself), and went through it step by step with a torrent posted elsewhere to make sure my instructions were accurate as possible. As dissappointed as I am that this was not sufficient to solve your problem I am very glad that you did indeed find a solution. Happy torrenting.