Staying in Japan for a year or 2

Distylium

Nov 24, 2009
Hey guys, how much money would it cost to stay at Japan for a year or 2? And does Japan have good car parts, like engine, and body kits and all those, if so, which city is best to look for them? I would really like to visit Japan while buying car parts there, and I wouldn't mind getting a job at Japan for that short period of time too.
Thanks!

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
be prepared for aquamarine...

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
What's that..? o.o

ME.

*Why do you want to come to Japan?
*How old are you?
*What do you plan to do here?
*What kind of educational background do you have?
*What is your opinion on Japanese people?
*Do you like it when people talk behind your back?
*Do you like it when people talk about you to others infront of your face (ie: insulting you while you're right next to them)

Since you're a fellow Canadian, I'm not going to totally smash you into the ground here, but as for your car questions, I'm lead to believe that you're a young child. If not, you should already know that even from internet experience. Seriously man, how old are you? Please don't lie, because you will only get incorrect information from me ok?

There is no 'best city' for car parts. Every city is damn near equal. Sort of like "Which Canadian city should I go to if I want to buy the best maple syrup when shopping at Costco?" It's the same everywhere.

"Two years in Japan" is not a short period of time. And without answering my first volley of questions, I can't give you proper advice on how to do things or what you need to do before coming here. That is, unless you want to spend 90 days in a Japanese prison, then be deported in handcuffs and ankle-cuffs to Vancouver City or Toronto (depending on which flight is next).

ScannerBoy

Nov 19, 2009
the chinese and vietnamese somehow manage to stay in Japan for years without visa.

I guess there is a "simple" way....

reminds me of a dutch guy I met while having a little part-time job at a movie company. he lmade his living by being a street artist in Osaka and around......for 17(!) years...

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
The Chinese and Vietnamese?

Source?

You've got to be pretty good at ducking the authorities and hope you don't get sick. If you don't have government health coverage, then you're pretty much fucked and often (although not every time) when you visit the hospital for a health reason of your own (not visiting) and you use private insurance, you need to speak with a police officer on site and of course show your foreigner registration card.

ScannerBoy

Nov 19, 2009
I knew some guys back then :)

though most of those either have to go to the mafias or they just try to keep a low profile.

but like I've said, I've aslso met foreigners who lived their for years with jobs like artist, entertainer, home nursing blabla

Distylium

Nov 24, 2009
ME.

*Why do you want to come to Japan?
*How old are you?
*What do you plan to do here?
*What kind of educational background do you have?
*What is your opinion on Japanese people?
*Do you like it when people talk behind your back?
*Do you like it when people talk about you to others infront of your face (ie: insulting you while you're right next to them)

Since you're a fellow Canadian, I'm not going to totally smash you into the ground here, but as for your car questions, I'm lead to believe that you're a young child. If not, you should already know that even from internet experience. Seriously man, how old are you? Please don't lie, because you will only get incorrect information from me ok?

There is no 'best city' for car parts. Every city is damn near equal. Sort of like "Which Canadian city should I go to if I want to buy the best maple syrup when shopping at Costco?" It's the same everywhere.

"Two years in Japan" is not a short period of time. And without answering my first volley of questions, I can't give you proper advice on how to do things or what you need to do before coming here. That is, unless you want to spend 90 days in a Japanese prison, then be deported in handcuffs and ankle-cuffs to Vancouver City or Toronto (depending on which flight is next).

Hm, you're right, I guess I am considered very young. I'm not going to lie, I don't want to state my age, but I'm still in high school. To answer your questions;
1)Going with a friend to learn new things/different ways they make engines and such
2)See above
3)Pretty much 1, except maybe eat new foods and probably take pictures and send it home to family and friends, visit some temples, and just go out in the city at night (I always wanted to explore Japan at night, it looks really beautiful)
4)Currently n/a, since I'm still only in highschool, I know my plans of visiting Japan will probably change in the future, depending on the results of my education, and how much Japanese I can learn to hold a basic conversation, but right now I'm looking forward to it
5)Not sure yet, but the way I see them as of now, I would say I see them the same as other people, except I can't talk to most of them :s
6)I don't really care
7)Yes, it bugs me, but I'm just a visitor to the country, I'm not going to disturb it by making a fuss/attention/outrage

And what you said about the other cities making car parts/engines, I just heard that Japan makes really good engines, so I want to go and see if they make them differently and such, and possibly learn something new that maybe not alot of people in the west know about. My trip isn't gonna be all about cars though. As for money purposes, me and a friend may save up around 10-20 grand for the trip each. My estimated time of staying at Japan for 1 or 2 years may be changed depending on the results of your guys answers (Since you guys probably know about Japan and it's changing economy more than me!)

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
... wow. Well good luck with that. My suggestion, go to university, THEN come here. Te last thing we need more of are starry-eyed foreigners with nothing to offer. Sorry bud.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
A reasonable cost of living estimate is USD$2000/mo to cover rent, food, basic living necessities. That figure can (and probably will) go up wildly depending on where you want to live and how much extra you will spend on entertainment, etc.

You can find car parts nearly everywhere in Japan, except maybe rural villages and the more remote islands. If you're looking for factories, they're all over so you'd have to ask for a specific company or design firm.

If you have near-fluent Japanese, you could probably find a job here working in import/exports. There's relatively high demand for exporting Japanese car parts abroad, and a person capable of Japanese/English is relatively invaluable in car parts exporting. But I would suggest getting a job at home with car part importing (from Japan) in order to build up contacts (import/export is all about knowing the right people). Coming to Japan without knowing a single person is pretty much useless.

And speaking in general, there's nothing too special about Japanese car/engine factories (except maybe the hermetically sealed chamber in the Nissan GT-R engine production). It's pretty much the same as anywhere else, really: they refine metals to remove impurities; cast them in molds to make the base engine block; then use heavy machinery to assemble the main block, and then complete the rest by hand. You could probably find a video of that on YouTube -- save you $20k and a time-consuming trip to Japan.

If you're interested in "what makes Japanese engines so good" you probably need to look into engine design, which means engineering/design firms, which are managed by the big manufactures and hidden behind many layers of NDAs and lawyers -- once again, all about having the right contacts. As a layperson, the absolute best you'll be able to do otherwise is to see the dumbed down made-for-children illustration of how an engine works at some car museum.

Also, Europe makes good engines too, and many that are better than Japanese engines in the same class. Plus there's the whole difference between petrol, diesel, biofuel, fuel cell, and now hydrogen cell engines (though technically fuel cell and hydrogen cell engines are both just electric motors), and some companies are better at certain engines than others.

Points in general: your standard tourist visa into Japan is good for only 90 days and does not permit work. You can apply for a work visa but will need to get that sorted out before you come to Japan and will require someone inside Japan to sponsor you.