Software for organizing your JAV? (Preferably with generated screenshots)

SUNBO

Nov 19, 2007
I'm looking for one that generates screenshots. I used to use Cinematica when I was on Mac, it was great. But when I moved to Windows, I can't use it. Then I found Video Hub App, but half the videos have black screenshots, so it's no good.

maload

Jul 1, 2008
i dont understand you . are you expect the result so high ??? how much ??
i am using " media player classic " and i never have black screen at all

you open the file then / save thumbnails ... ( just test it yourself)

that s what i do when i need screenshot

o do you mean something like prinscreen ? media player classic can do too

file / save image .. thats it

i guess you may have window setting s problem - -

SUNBO

Nov 19, 2007
i dont understand you . are you expect the result so high ??? how much ??
i am using " media player classic " and i never have black screen at all

you open the file then / save thumbnails ... ( just test it yourself)

that s what i do when i need screenshot

o do you mean something like prinscreen ? media player classic can do too

file / save image .. thats it

i guess you may have window setting s problem - -
I'm not looking for a program to create screenshots for me. I'm looking for a video organizer. You know, with tags, ratings etc.

maload

Jul 1, 2008

SUNBO

Nov 19, 2007
oh, i got it... sorry for misunderstanding..

o there is program called " javluv " here in our forum but i never check if it can create screenshot or not.

tag ,rating ? javluv can do ...

this link

Thanks. I'm aware of JavLuv. There's also Javinizer and Jav-It, which works similarly. But it seems they all do not generate screenshots to show what the movie is like.

I might need to just bite it and forget about screenshots....

intrepid8

レズぺニバン Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2009
I take it you're not looking for organization software that generates screenshots live though right? Seems like that would introduce a ton of lag.

I would recommend finding something that runs as a script from the command line where you'd drop new videos into a folder and have it batch generate the screenshots and move the source and outputs to the correct folder for your organizer software.

Reactions: SUNBO

SUNBO

Nov 19, 2007
I found my software. In case someone who looked at this thread in future, it's called MediaChips. It's quite good.

TEXMAC

Jul 21, 2023
I'm also trying to find the perfect organizer software to manage my library. I've used all of the softwares mentioned in this thread and also tried media libraries like Emby. MediaChimp is the closest to my search, but it does not allow files to be renamed. It cannot detect renamed or changed paths of files, which is critical for me because I oftenly change filenames of the videos. If anyone knows any other organizer software I'll be happy to hear.

intrepid8

レズぺニバン Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2009
I'm also trying to find the perfect organizer software to manage my library. I've used all of the softwares mentioned in this thread and also tried media libraries like Emby. MediaChimp is the closest to my search, but it does not allow files to be renamed. It cannot detect renamed or changed paths of files, which is critical for me because I oftenly change filenames of the videos. If anyone knows any other organizer software I'll be happy to hear.

If the primary goal isn't media streaming (Emby, Plex, Jellyfin) and you've already tried JAV-specific tools like JavLuv and JAVinizer and found none of them to your liking it's probably going to be a struggle.

You'll probably want to look at tools not designed for the genre and spend a lot of effort shoehorning a solution together using multiple pieces of software. Maybe a spreadsheet or custom database solution will be best for you.

When it comes to filenames I think the best idea if you're committing to an organizer is to simplify. JAV gives you a perfect (nearly uquitious) unique identifier in the ID. Let tags take care of the details within the database, whether that's title, actors, genres, rating or resolution. Using long winded filenames to me seems antithetical to the intent of using an organizer in the first place. I'm curious why you need to frequently change filenames.

If you're worried about losing the Information, then invest in a database backup strategy and a periodic export into some text-based format like CSV or just a plain text file.

The hardest part is probably the commitment to doing some work early but it sounds like you're already on board. Define every tag category (especially custom ones) you want to include before you start. Decide on folder and file name conventions.

TEXMAC

Jul 21, 2023
If the primary goal isn't media streaming (Emby, Plex, Jellyfin) and you've already tried JAV-specific tools like JavLuv and JAVinizer and found none of them to your liking it's probably going to be a struggle.

You'll probably want to look at tools not designed for the genre and spend a lot of effort shoehorning a solution together using multiple pieces of software. Maybe a spreadsheet or custom database solution will be best for you.

When it comes to filenames I think the best idea if you're committing to an organizer is to simplify. JAV gives you a perfect (nearly uquitious) unique identifier in the ID. Let tags take care of the details within the database, whether that's title, actors, genres, rating or resolution. Using long winded filenames to me seems antithetical to the intent of using an organizer in the first place. I'm curious why you need to frequently change filenames.

If you're worried about losing the Information, then invest in a database backup strategy and a periodic export into some text-based format like CSV or just a plain text file.

The hardest part is probably the commitment to doing some work early but it sounds like you're already on board. Define every tag category (especially custom ones) you want to include before you start. Decide on folder and file name conventions.
Thanks for your reply. My current structure is: Maker/Studio Name (Folder) > VID-ID[My Custom Tags].ext
I find it easier to tag videos by their filenames, thats why I change filenames frequently. It's also compatible with Tagspaces format. I'm adding, correcting or removing tags while I watch. As I remember Video Hub App is able to detect filename changes but it's not for adding metadata, it's good for just browsing the library. MediaChimp can also add metadata and great for browsing, but lacks of detecting filename changes function. I hope it will be updated with this functionality one day.

intrepid8

レズぺニバン Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2009
Nice, sounds like a strategy. Always good to compare sort methods and see if your own can be optimized.

I do a very similar thing for my girl-girl collection (by studio). For everything else I folder sort mainly by theme.

:top:

Reactions: TEXMAC

SUNBO

Nov 19, 2007
MediaChimp? Are you talking about MediaChips? If so, you can change the filename and edit it in the program to re-link.

TEXMAC

Jul 21, 2023
MediaChimp? Are you talking about MediaChips? If so, you can change the filename and edit it in the program to re-link.
Yes it's MediaChips. How can I edit it in the program? If I change the filename, it's detecting as a new file and added metadata does not come with it.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
You could have also used something like javluv to generate the metadata(assuming you care about that) and then used something like emby that will manage your library and take a screenshot(single frame) if you tell it to.