JavLuv JAV Browser

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

TmpGuy

JavLuv author, lesbian connoisseur
Jun 1, 2013
When I edit information in the movie detail, why did it sometimes not update the nfo file? I just noticed it these last few days. Sometimes when I fixed the title, rating or merge the actress, I couldn't do it from javluv, instead I need to edit it manually from the nfo file.
JavLuv defers saving external nfo files in short bursts over time for reasons of performance. In some cases, I've made slight changes to the nfo file format, when I had to update all nfo files over time (like when I added support for Recently Added sorting). In other cases, the user might do bulk edits. In either case, this can require saving hundreds or even thousands of files, and take several minutes to save in total, if they were all done at once.

In your case, I'm betting you made a change, then closed JavLuv before the 10 second timer had a chance to detect the metadata had changed and saved the nfo file. It's maybe a bit unintuitive (I suppose I could kick off one last save job at exit), but it's technically not a bug. The next time you open JavLuv and wait at least 10 seconds, the nfo file would be saved.

lock_on

Jan 22, 2023
JavLuv defers saving external nfo files in short bursts over time for reasons of performance. In some cases, I've made slight changes to the nfo file format, when I had to update all nfo files over time (like when I added support for Recently Added sorting). In other cases, the user might do bulk edits. In either case, this can require saving hundreds or even thousands of files, and take several minutes to save in total, if they were all done at once.

In your case, I'm betting you made a change, then closed JavLuv before the 10 second timer had a chance to detect the metadata had changed and saved the nfo file. It's maybe a bit unintuitive (I suppose I could kick off one last save job at exit), but it's technically not a bug. The next time you open JavLuv and wait at least 10 seconds, the nfo file would be saved.
So, if I understood it, I need to wait 10 second after I make some change in the movie detail, is that correct? In this case, I had waited for at least 1 minute, but the nfo file did not changed and I did not close the JavLuv.

Or is it related to the log file I asked you before? When I did not connect my external harddrive, it keep repeating some access to the drive
Ah, yeah. This happens when you make edits to metadata, or if it needs to update metadata with new information, JavLuv attempts to access a small number of .nfo files about every fifteen seconds or so. The reason is because reading or writing thousands of nfo files all at once could theoretically take several minutes. So, JavLuv is just trying to slowly get your external nfo files up to date, a bit at a time.

In your case, it will update your nfo files again when you plug that drive back in. The behavior is expected and not a problem at all.
So, if the queue of this process is not yet finished, JavLuv cannot change any new metadata, eventough the metadata detail which I changed is in the local drive?

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
So, if I understood it, I need to wait 10 second after I make some change in the movie detail, is that correct? In this case, I had waited for at least 1 minute, but the nfo file did not changed and I did not close the JavLuv.

Or is it related to the log file I asked you before? When I did not connect my external harddrive, it keep repeating some access to the drive

So, if the queue of this process is not yet finished, JavLuv cannot change any new metadata, eventough the metadata detail which I changed is in the local drive?

Oh, that's an interesting point. If you're using a removable hard drive, there's a good chance it's just going to fail to write a number of those, and never advance to the next batch of changed metadata. That makes sense. I'll need to make sure that if JavLuv encounters paths that aren't currently accessible, it just skips over them and saves them for future updates.

Looks like this is a bug after all. It just happens to occur only with a fairly rare corner case.

lock_on

Jan 22, 2023
Let's say I have 3 drive named A, B and C. I tried to "move up" the queue process by plugged in my external drive which stated in the log (example A), but then the log ask to update the movie metadata in the other drive B. I then plug B to my computer, but then the log ask the metadata in the drive A. It keep repeating until it reached drive C, but to return again to drive A.
What is the order in the update of these metadata? I remembered that I didn't edit any info for the movie mentioned in the log.
Unfortunately, I only have 1 port of USB available. Even if I had 2 or more USB port, and plugged in all my drives, the drive letter/path of each drive will be different with the saved directory in the JavLuv.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Well, it's iterating over a cache, and that's sorted by ID. So that'll be the order it saves metadata.

Keep in mind there are some other things that can cause metadata updates, like new features. For instance, when I added support for sorting by "Recently added", that required a change to all existing metadata. So every .nfo needed to be updated after that change.

I think it should be a pretty simple fix, so I'd just wait for it to get patched, and then it should catch up on its own whenever you plug in your drives.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Okay, I've added a fix which I believe should take care of the issue. It may take a while for all your metadata to catch up, but you should now be able to rotate through your drives in any order, and JavLuv should just ignore any files it can't currently reach.

The only concern I have is possible performance implications. If you see any weird hitching at regular intervals, let me know, and I might have to figure out a more sophisticated solution.

lock_on

Jan 22, 2023
Okay, I've added a fix which I believe should take care of the issue. It may take a while for all your metadata to catch up, but you should now be able to rotate through your drives in any order, and JavLuv should just ignore any files it can't currently reach.

The only concern I have is possible performance implications. If you see any weird hitching at regular intervals, let me know, and I might have to figure out a more sophisticated solution.
Thank you, really appreciate this. I will try the new patch.

lock_on

Jan 22, 2023
Do you think it's possible to add a feature like custom category or custom folder in the Javluv? So that we don't have to view all our movies in 1 single browser. For example if I had over 1000 movies, and from those I had 100 movies which I like, so I would move it to the mentioned category/folder as "Liked". The "Liked" then will be shown in the upper menu (tabs) and only included those 100 movies. Other category might be "Watched", "Not yet watched", or others depending on the user. It will be much more easier for the user rather than using the Search Collection box or sort it by rating all the time.
Of course it's just a suggestion from me, or maybe it's already on the wishlist.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Do you think it's possible to add a feature like custom category or custom folder in the Javluv? So that we don't have to view all our movies in 1 single browser. For example if I had over 1000 movies, and from those I had 100 movies which I like, so I would move it to the mentioned category/folder as "Liked". The "Liked" then will be shown in the upper menu (tabs) and only included those 100 movies. Other category might be "Watched", "Not yet watched", or others depending on the user. It will be much more easier for the user rather than using the Search Collection box or sort it by rating all the time.
Of course it's just a suggestion from me, or maybe it's already on the wishlist.

I've got a few ideas for customizing views in JavLuv, but nothing definitely designed yet. One slightly vague idea I have is the ability to save and recall search / view settings, and put those in a customized menu for easy access. There are actually a lot of ways to customize the current view, but most of them require typing in the search bar, and of course there isn't currently a way to make shortcuts of those searches.

In the meantime:

For starters, you can customize genre tags yourself, or add new tags. I mark any of my own movies that have an annoying 3rd party watermark with a genre tag so I can find them more easily. I've also added some other genre tags of my own for movie themes I particularly enjoy. There's nothing preventing you from using the existing Genre field for this.

Or if you want to keep custom tags separate, and if you're not using the Notes field for anything else, you can type whatever you want in there and search on those words. So you can think of that as a separate field for tags, and it's completely searchable as well.

Another trick you can use is to filter based on folder names. If you put your favorites in a folder called \Favorites, you can just type "Favorites" in the search to show only movies in that folder.

lock_on

Jan 22, 2023
I've got a few ideas for customizing views in JavLuv, but nothing definitely designed yet. One slightly vague idea I have is the ability to save and recall search / view settings, and put those in a customized menu for easy access. There are actually a lot of ways to customize the current view, but most of them require typing in the search bar, and of course there isn't currently a way to make shortcuts of those searches.

In the meantime:

For starters, you can customize genre tags yourself, or add new tags. I mark any of my own movies that have an annoying 3rd party watermark with a genre tag so I can find them more easily. I've also added some other genre tags of my own for movie themes I particularly enjoy. There's nothing preventing you from using the existing Genre field for this.

Or if you want to keep custom tags separate, and if you're not using the Notes field for anything else, you can type whatever you want in there and search on those words. So you can think of that as a separate field for tags, and it's completely searchable as well.

Another trick you can use is to filter based on folder names. If you put your favorites in a folder called \Favorites, you can just type "Favorites" in the search to show only movies in that folder.
Yes, I have tried those 3 options of sorting or customizing you mentioned after using JavLuv for the past few weeks, and I think that is already good. It's just that when I use those options, I need to remember the keyword or tag used. It is not internally "saved" in the JavLuv. Using genre as keyword also looks quite troublesome cause we need to edit/write our tags manually one by one. As for filter the movies by folder, I can't use it as I arrange my movies folder based on the released date only and will keep it this way beacause it's comfortable for me.
I am not a programmer myself, and I can only give suggestions and feedbacks in using Javluv so that it will be better and user friendly for everyone who uses it.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Yes, I have tried those 3 options of sorting or customizing you mentioned after using JavLuv for the past few weeks, and I think that is already good. It's just that when I use those options, I need to remember the keyword or tag used. It is not internally "saved" in the JavLuv. Using genre as keyword also looks quite troublesome cause we need to edit/write our tags manually one by one. As for filter the movies by folder, I can't use it as I arrange my movies folder based on the released date only and will keep it this way beacause it's comfortable for me.
I am not a programmer myself, and I can only give suggestions and feedbacks in using Javluv so that it will be better and user friendly for everyone who uses it.

One of the ideas I had was to allow the user to save all their search parameters (search line + all options) and assign it to a single entry in a list with a custom label. That might be an appropriate use of the space under the "Search Options" on the sidebar. Then it's just a single click to recall those search parameters. So, you could essentially create a number of buttons that act as "hotkeys" for different types of searches.

Another upcoming feature is going to be a Genres tab. So, you'll be able to list all genre tags, sort them alphabetically or by popularity, easily delete or merge them, modify and set up import filtering, and so on. I think this will make customizing Genre tags a lot more attractive in general. Combine that with a proposed batch editor, and I think managing genre tags should be much nicer.

JohnJr

Sep 10, 2022
First thank you for this program, just realized I had no idea what I had on my external hard drives, this is a great program.
It doesn't seem to recognize iso files in a folder? I created a fake mkv file just so it would create an entry, and am editing it manually. Just thought I'd mention it. I didn't see anything listing what kind of video files it scans.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
First thank you for this program, just realized I had no idea what I had on my external hard drives, this is a great program.
It doesn't seem to recognize iso files in a folder? I created a fake mkv file just so it would create an entry, and am editing it manually. Just thought I'd mention it. I didn't see anything listing what kind of video files it scans.

Glad it's working well for you. I've got iso support on the to-do list for upcoming updates. Thanks for the heads-up.

mei2

Dec 6, 2018
Hi @TmpGuy , some time ago you wrote an excellent script (.exe) to find all videos that are missing a sub. Would it be possible if you could add to that script the ability to search in a specific path/directory --given as an argument from command line?

For the life of me I have been trying to use GPTChat to write up a script to do that but it has so much errors :)

Thanks

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I guess GPTChat isn't putting me out of a job quite yet, eh? I made the modification over my lunch break, and the new version is published here:

Just type in a path as an optional command-line param (no switches). Remember to add quotes to the path if it has any spaces. It will try to use an absolute path if it's fully qualified, or will create a relative path from the current working folder otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: mei2 and Moxy

Not2srius

Jul 5, 2022
I guess GPTChat isn't putting me out of a job quite yet, eh? I made the modification over my lunch break, and the new version is published here:

Just type in a path as an optional command-line param (no switches). Remember to add quotes to the path if it has any spaces. It will try to use an absolute path if it's fully qualified, or will create a relative path from the current working folder otherwise.
I wish you would write that for computer dummies like me. And please give an example. Also, I note that you can check a box for hard subtitles. How about a box for .srt files? Once you have that file, you could check the box to remind yourself that an .srt file is available. Keep up the good work.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I wish you would write that for computer dummies like me. And please give an example. Also, I note that you can check a box for hard subtitles. How about a box for .srt files? Once you have that file, you could check the box to remind yourself that an .srt file is available. Keep up the good work.

Are you talking about support in JavLuv? JavLuv automatically detects if you have subtitles in external files (like srt), and displays a special icon in the lower right corner under the movie cover. If it's not there, you may need to right-click on the movie thumbnail and "Rescan files".

1682019033206.png

I guess the one thing you can't technically do right now is to show only movies without subtitles (which that one-off script does). I've kind of resisted adding that feature because it didn't seem all that useful, and I'd have to turn a simple checkbox into a three-option dropdown instead. As a general principle, I've tried to keep the UI as simple and friendly as I can. But if enough of you really want that option, let me know. No promises, but I do try to listen to people's opinions on stuff like that.

Last edited:

mei2

Dec 6, 2018

Haha -- so true about GPTChat :)
Thanks a lot for this. I'll test and let you know. I see that you have published the code too. That's very helpful. Cheers!

Reactions: TmpGuy

Not2srius

Jul 5, 2022
Are you talking about support in JavLuv? JavLuv automatically detects if you have subtitles in external files (like srt), and displays a special icon in the lower right corner under the movie cover. If it's not there, you may need to right-click on the movie thumbnail and "Rescan files".

View attachment 3212157

I guess the one thing you can't technically do right now is to show only movies without subtitles (which that one-off script does). I've kind of resisted adding that feature because it didn't seem all that useful, and I'd have to turn a simple checkbox into a three-option dropdown instead. As a general principle, I've tried to keep the UI as simple and friendly as I can. But if enough of you really want that option, let me know. No promises, but I do try to listen to people's opinions on stuff like that.
Ok, I understand that now. I downloaded a big subtitle file that contains a lot of subtitles. That's what it sees, right? Another question: sometimes I would like two versions of a movie. One subtitled and the other uncensored, for example. But I'm getting errors when scanning new movies and both don't appear. Should I not "overide resolution" to accomplish that?

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Ok, I understand that now. I downloaded a big subtitle file that contains a lot of subtitles. That's what it sees, right? Another question: sometimes I would like two versions of a movie. One subtitled and the other uncensored, for example. But I'm getting errors when scanning new movies and both don't appear. Should I not "overide resolution" to accomplish that?
Subtitles
JavLuv recognizes subtitles when scanning movies. It looks for a subtitle file named the same as the movie, which is typically what you need for those to be played by a media player anyhow. There are a few advanced features in JavLuv for finding subtitles for movies in your collection, but it's sort of a complex procedure, and I've described it in detail elsewhere.

Override Resolution
The "Override resolution" option is for when you want to replace an existing movie with a higher resolution movie. It will show you a dialog and let you know what the old and new resolutions are, and ask you to confirm that you want to replace the old movie with the new one.

Multiple Versions of a Single Movie
If you're not using JavLuv's automatic move.naming feature, it's very easy. JavLuv supports any number of movie files for a given movie entry. Just make sure the movie names are different, and they'll both be listed. You'll want to drop the movie in the correct folder, and on the movie thumbnail, right click and "Rescan Files".

If you ARE using automatic move / rename, you need to play nice with JavLuv so it understands what the multiple movies are:

You can pretend it's a multi-part movie. If you have a movie name and append the parts with -A and -B, JavLuv will preserve both of those.

Another way to do it is to ensure JavLuv categorizes one of the movies as an "extra" movie file. If you look in Settings, you'll see that you can configure JavLuv to recognize some names as "extra" movies, like if you have a movie trailer, or a behind the scenes scene, etc. This is listed under "Movie Exclusions", and by default has a few phrases it looks for, like "exerpt; preview; extra" etc. You can add something like "uncensored" to that list, then make sure you name your uncensored movie that way. JavLuv shouldn't rename "extra" movies.

In either case, the procedure is the same. Manually place the movie in the folder with the current movie, then from the movie thumbnail view, right click and select "Rescan Files".

Note: Yeah, I'm aware it's sort of inconvenient to have to jump to the thumbnail view just so you can rescan files. I should probably add that as a right-click option on the Movie Details page.

Last edited: