JavLuv JAV Browser

CanB1975

Oct 22, 2019
TmpGuy, Thank you for JavLuv. Now I have a way of seeing what JAVs I have without having to do a search online. I do have some questions though.

I have scanned all the JAVs I have (over 700) and noticed that only 70 Actresses show up on the Actresses tab. Of those 70 Actresses only about half of them had any data when I double clicked them. Mostly only their name and nothing else or they may have some data entered like name and cup size but nothing else. So I have been entering the data manually from doing searches online. I have been using two (2) different sites (javrave and javdatabase) to gather the bio information but mainly javrave because it usually has more information than javdatabase.

BTW, I have all my JAVs listed in individual subfolders by their ID and then all movie files (and sub files) are listed the same way. On some files I have added titles or short descriptions after the ID in the file name and actress at the end of the file name. When I did my scan in JavLuv, I scanned the parent folder of all my JAVs and had both boxes checked (Scan Subfolders and Auto Import Movies..).

My questions are:
1. What database or website is JavLuv scanning or searching to populate the Actresses Bio info?
2. Am I doing something wrong when I scanned my JAV folders?
3. Is there a way to get all the bio info entered without having to manually enter it when the regular scan doesn't gather all the information?
4. Why are the other Actresses from my other JAV movies not automatically added like the 70 that were? ( I understand uncredited actresses not being listed but others that are listed?)
5. How do I add an Actress if an entry isn't already automatically there?

Also, I have a suggestion/request. Is it possible to add a Debut and Retired field in the Actresses tab? That is something I found on javrave (Debut) that I thought would be nice to have since.

Again, thanks for JavLuv. Great job!!!

Last edited:

TmpGuy

JavLuv author, lesbian connoisseur
Jun 1, 2013
Only 70 actresses out of 700 movies seems very low. I'm not sure why so few were found. Typically, at least for mainstream movies, the success rate should be higher. JavLuv scans the following sites for actresses: JavDatabase.com, JavModel.com, and JavRave.club. I've just recently added JavBody.com too, but that hasn't been released yet.

Every actress listed in a movie credits should have an Actress page. If it's blank, by default it will not be shown unless you click the "show all actresses" option, which shows you actress pages with not enough information (like missing portrait, or too much info missing).

To add an actress, simply add her name to a movie detail page. Click the edit icon next to actresses to go into edit move, then you can add new entries. After you leave edit mode, you can double-click to jump to that entry.

If you're interested, feel free to send me your logs (look for a button down at the bottom of Settings), and I can take a look and perhaps get an idea of why so few actresses are being found.

CanB1975

Oct 22, 2019
If you're interested, feel free to send me your logs (look for a button down at the bottom of Settings), and I can take a look and perhaps get an idea of why so few actresses are being found.
Thanks for the reply. I just sent you the logs.

lock_on

Jan 22, 2023
Multiple Versions of a Single Movie
If you're not using JavLuv's automatic move.naming feature, it's very easy. JavLuv supports any number of movie files for a given movie entry. Just make sure the movie names are different, and they'll both be listed. You'll want to drop the movie in the correct folder, and on the movie thumbnail, right click and "Rescan Files".

If you ARE using automatic move / rename, you need to play nice with JavLuv so it understands what the multiple movies are:

You can pretend it's a multi-part movie. If you have a movie name and append the parts with -A and -B, JavLuv will preserve both of those.

Another way to do it is to ensure JavLuv categorizes one of the movies as an "extra" movie file. If you look in Settings, you'll see that you can configure JavLuv to recognize some names as "extra" movies, like if you have a movie trailer, or a behind the scenes scene, etc. This is listed under "Movie Exclusions", and by default has a few phrases it looks for, like "exerpt; preview; extra" etc. You can add something like "uncensored" to that list, then make sure you name your uncensored movie that way. JavLuv shouldn't rename "extra" movies.
Can you explain a little bit more about this "Movie Exclusions" feature? As I understand, this feature only used by the auto renaming movies only, is that correct? Or is there some more to it? The first time I scan my movies, a few times, JavLuv ask to override my movies because the movies are of the same code, but it is in different folder. The first one is the original and the other is the uncensored one. Is the "Movie Exclusions" feature to prevent this?

Multiple Versions of a Single Movie
If you're not using JavLuv's automatic move.naming feature, it's very easy. JavLuv supports any number of movie files for a given movie entry. Just make sure the movie names are different, and they'll both be listed. You'll want to drop the movie in the correct folder, and on the movie thumbnail, right click and "Rescan Files"..
For now, I used this way to make a double entry of my movies which have the uncensored one, so that I can categorized my own entry (without keeping the movies in the same folder). I just scanned my uncensored folder to regenerate new metadata or just copy the cover image and metadata nfo file of the movies, then I rename the titles with an "x" in front of the code (also the inside of nfo files). Is there any better option to this? Maybe with the function of mentioned "Movie Exclusions" which I still not quite undenstand yet.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Can you explain a little bit more about this "Movie Exclusions" feature? As I understand, this feature only used by the auto renaming movies only, is that correct? Or is there some more to it? The first time I scan my movies, a few times, JavLuv ask to override my movies because the movies are of the same code, but it is in different folder. The first one is the original and the other is the uncensored one. Is the "Movie Exclusions" feature to prevent this?

The "Movie Exclusions" is o a way of telling JavLuv "this is an extra movie - don't rename it". It has nothing to do with importing another movie of the same ID, which is going to override the first. Rather, if you're scanning movies and have two movies side-by-side, you can give a hint that this is an "extra" movie.

For example, if you scan two movies:

ABC-123.mp4
ABC-123 trailer.mp4

JavLuv will see that because it has the name "trailer" in it, it should be excluded as a normal movie. It goes in a separate "extra" list of movies associated with that ID.

For now, I used this way to make a double entry of my movies which have the uncensored one, so that I can categorized my own entry (without keeping the movies in the same folder). I just scanned my uncensored folder to regenerate new metadata or just copy the cover image and metadata nfo file of the movies, then I rename the titles with an "x" in front of the code (also the inside of nfo files). Is there any better option to this? Maybe with the function of mentioned "Movie Exclusions" which I still not quite undenstand yet.

Unfortunately, JavLuv doesn't support multiple movies in different locations (like a separate "uncensored" folder). So this is probably the best you can do for right now. I'll give some thought as to better solutions for the future.

Reactions: Moxy and lock_on

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I just sent you the logs.
I took a look at your logs and didn't really see anything all that unusual. I'll continue investigating, maybe next weekend if I have more time, to see why some of those actresses weren't found, especially the ones that seem to should have been.

For the time being, you can retry scanning at any time by selecting all the actress entries, right-clicking, and selecting "Update Actresses". I've added a forth website for actress scraping (JavBody.com) in the last update. You can try rescanning and see if you can pick up a few more actresses.

Reactions: CanB1975 and Moxy

mei2

Dec 6, 2018
Hi @TmpGuy , just a quick a low-priority feature request: someimes the rename/move function leaves the name of folders/files to end with multiple dots. I've noticed that naming sometimes doesn't play nice with folder search. Would be an idea to make sure names are cut to end with an alphabet or number.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Hi @TmpGuy , just a quick a low-priority feature request: someimes the rename/move function leaves the name of folders/files to end with multiple dots. I've noticed that naming sometimes doesn't play nice with folder search. Would be an idea to make sure names are cut to end with an alphabet or number.

JavLuv limits the length of path elements, which can exceed the default Windows maximum. When it does this, it lets you know by ending the folder in an ellipse, and it actually makes an attempt to do this on a natural word break. You can increase the maximum number of characters used for folder names in the folder name field, so this should happen less often. I think the current default is 80 or so. The total path must stay below 260 characters in total, so make sure you account for that if you set it to something longer.

Reactions: mei2

CanB1975

Oct 22, 2019
I took a look at your logs and didn't really see anything all that unusual. I'll continue investigating, maybe next weekend if I have more time, to see why some of those actresses weren't found, especially the ones that seem to should have been.

For the time being, you can retry scanning at any time by selecting all the actress entries, right-clicking, and selecting "Update Actresses". I've added a forth website for actress scraping (JavBody.com) in the last update. You can try rescanning and see if you can pick up a few more actresses.
I have been working on updating the actresses since my last post here and have tried everything including re-scanning and nothing changes. Some times I'll get another picture added but that's all. I've tried right-clicking on individual entries and selecting "Update Actress" and nothing changes. Unfortunately, the only thing that works is manually entering the actress information as they are not being entered or updated automatically regardless of how I try to scan or auto update.

I'm curious if it is working (the auto entry/update) of the actresses information for everyone else without any problems (missing information, empty data, no entries, etc..) or is it just me. Maybe I need to uninstall JavLuv and try reinstalling it. On a good note, I have been able to increase the total number of actresses from the original 70 to about 290 now. Still not even a quarter of the way thru all my JAVs yet but at least I'm getting somewhere.

Thanks for the info on JavBody. I didn't know about that one. Gives me another source to gather info from. Keep up that good work.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I have been working on updating the actresses since my last post here and have tried everything including re-scanning and nothing changes. Some times I'll get another picture added but that's all. I've tried right-clicking on individual entries and selecting "Update Actress" and nothing changes. Unfortunately, the only thing that works is manually entering the actress information as they are not being entered or updated automatically regardless of how I try to scan or auto update.

I'm curious if it is working (the auto entry/update) of the actresses information for everyone else without any problems (missing information, empty data, no entries, etc..) or is it just me. Maybe I need to uninstall JavLuv and try reinstalling it. On a good note, I have been able to increase the total number of actresses from the original 70 to about 290 now. Still not even a quarter of the way thru all my JAVs yet but at least I'm getting somewhere.

Thanks for the info on JavBody. I didn't know about that one. Gives me another source to gather info from. Keep up that good work.

Managing actresses was actually one of the hardest things to get working right in JavLuv, and in all honesty, it's really still not where I want it. There are three fairly substantial problems:
  • Japanese names don't have 1:1 corresponding English names (Hibiki Otsuki / Hibiki Ootsuki / Hibiki Ōtsuki). Computers are very literal, so it doesn't intrinsically understand these are the same names.
  • JAV actresses often have multiple aliases, each with their own English spelling variations, which compounds the problem
  • Many JAV actresses, especially former or less famous actresses, are unlisted or have missing data, and there are fewer reliable sources for scraping than for movies.
One thing to try... if you see a name like Saitou, try an alternate name like Saito, and see if you get a hit. I've seen this enough that I always try it myself.

Anyhow, as I said, I'll do a bit more analysis when I have more time. For now, I'm afraid it is what it is.

Reactions: CanB1975

CanB1975

Oct 22, 2019
Managing actresses was actually one of the hardest things to get working right in JavLuv, and in all honesty, it's really still not where I want it. There are three fairly substantial problems:
  • Japanese names don't have 1:1 corresponding English names (Hibiki Otsuki / Hibiki Ootsuki / Hibiki Ōtsuki). Computers are very literal, so it doesn't intrinsically understand these are the same names.
  • JAV actresses often have multiple aliases, each with their own English spelling variations, which compounds the problem
  • Many JAV actresses, especially former or less famous actresses, are unlisted or have missing data, and there are fewer reliable sources for scraping than for movies.
One thing to try... if you see a name like Saitou, try an alternate name like Saito, and see if you get a hit. I've seen this enough that I always try it myself.

Anyhow, as I said, I'll do a bit more analysis when I have more time. For now, I'm afraid it is what it is.
I found that out with the names and aliases when I was manually entering them. I did figure out trying the alternate names when I was searching. Wanted to also give you an update of what I found out.

I removed all the movies from the Library in JavLuv v1.1.24 but left all the actresses (about 290) alone. I then downloaded the new v1.1.25 in Zip form, unzipped and placed it in the Program Files folder (where I had v1.1.24) and then re-scanned all movies again. Unfortunately, that still didn't add any new actresses. So I removed all movies again and deleted JavLuv v1.1.25. I then downloaded v1.1.25 in MSI form and installed it that way. Re-scanned all the movies again... and I now have almost 900 actresses. Woohoo!!!

Not sure why the difference but for some reason using the windows install file instead of the zip file appears to have fixed the issue. I still have the same number of movies (just over 700) but now I have almost 900 actresses.

Reactions: Moxy

Not2srius

Jul 5, 2022
I have a question. Used to be, if you were missing a cover you could manually add the art. How do you do that now?

Moxy

JAV Archiever
Dec 22, 2009
I found that out with the names and aliases when I was manually entering them. I did figure out trying the alternate names when I was searching. Wanted to also give you an update of what I found out.

I removed all the movies from the Library in JavLuv v1.1.24 but left all the actresses (about 290) alone. I then downloaded the new v1.1.25 in Zip form, unzipped and placed it in the Program Files folder (where I had v1.1.24) and then re-scanned all movies again. Unfortunately, that still didn't add any new actresses. So I removed all movies again and deleted JavLuv v1.1.25. I then downloaded v1.1.25 in MSI form and installed it that way. Re-scanned all the movies again... and I now have almost 900 actresses. Woohoo!!!

Not sure why the difference but for some reason using the windows install file instead of the zip file appears to have fixed the issue. I still have the same number of movies (just over 700) but now I have almost 900 actresses.
I had issues with the zip only version and my AV deleteting files. When I use the MSI version, I still get alerts as its not digitally signed but I don't get file deletion.

CanB1975

Oct 22, 2019
I had issues with the zip only version and my AV deleteting files. When I use the MSI version, I still get alerts as its not digitally signed but I don't get file deletion.
I got that alert also when installing the MSI version but I just ignored it.

@TmpGuy I have noticed that all the information still isn't being downloaded for the actresses like all the Pictures from a peticular site (Javrave) and the Alternate Names, Date of Birth (DOB), Height, Measurements, etc.. Not sure if it's because of format issues or not as I've noticed that on some sites the format is different than on others. Even on Javrave the Measurements for different actresses are in different formats. Examples 85-60-85 or B82(C Cup) / W54 / H84 or 83 - 57 - 86 cm

Attached is an example of what I see on some actresses in JavLuv and what I see online. Usually it's the Date of Birth, Height and Measurements that is missing for some reason.

Attachments

• An Himeno1.jpg
    An Himeno1.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 60
  • An Himeno2.jpg
    An Himeno2.jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I got that alert also when installing the MSI version but I just ignored it.

@TmpGuy I have noticed that all the information still isn't being downloaded for the actresses like all the Pictures from a peticular site (Javrave) and the Alternate Names, Date of Birth (DOB), Height, Measurements, etc.. Not sure if it's because of format issues or not as I've noticed that on some sites the format is different than on others. Even on Javrave the Measurements for different actresses are in different formats. Examples 85-60-85 or B82(C Cup) / W54 / H84 or 83 - 57 - 86 cm

Attached is an example of what I see on some actresses in JavLuv and what I see online. Usually it's the Date of Birth, Height and Measurements that is missing for some reason.

Yeah, I'm wondering if a recent change in presentation format on some of those sites may be causing the current scrapers to fail. I'm going to make some architectural changes that will allow me to set up a battery of automated tests against all the scraping sites. At the moment, it's not obvious enough if things are failing, or even selectively failing. The different data and layout formats you see are why it takes a while to write a custom scraper for each new website - they're all formatted slightly differently, so they each need a dedicated parser.

Anyhow, bear with me for a bit as I make these improvements. It'll probably take a little while, but I think it'll have longer-term payoffs in functional stability.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Just published a new release. Actress scrapers should be fixed, and I've added a set of automated tests that should let me catch and fix these issues more easily in the future.

If you'd like to rescan actresses, go to Actress browser view, select actresses to update, and use the Update Actress context menu item. This will rescan selected actresses and update any missing data if available.

The following websites should now be scraped properly for actress data:
JavDatabase.com
JavModel.com
JavRave.club
JavBody.com

If you notice any issues with actresses on these sites being scraped incorrectly, let me know and I'll look into it. I've tried to account for the various measurement formats I've seen on some sites (looking at you JavRave.club), but there are probably still some wacko formats I haven't seen yet.

Note that I'm not even bothering to try to parse the unholy mess of alternate names on JavRave.club.

Reactions: Moxy

Moxy

JAV Archiever
Dec 22, 2009
The "Movie Exclusions" is o a way of telling JavLuv "this is an extra movie - don't rename it". It has nothing to do with importing another movie of the same ID, which is going to override the first. Rather, if you're scanning movies and have two movies side-by-side, you can give a hint that this is an "extra" movie.

For example, if you scan two movies:

ABC-123.mp4
ABC-123 trailer.mp4

JavLuv will see that because it has the name "trailer" in it, it should be excluded as a normal movie. It goes in a separate "extra" list of movies associated with that ID.

Unfortunately, JavLuv doesn't support multiple movies in different locations (like a separate "uncensored" folder). So this is probably the best you can do for right now. I'll give some thought as to better solutions for the future.
I have a similar request. I have a lot of movies and I extract decent scenes from whichever and convert them to 60 FPS and I label then lets say VTRM-10 (60FPS) so I don't get confused with the original ofc and If its just a scene then VTRM-10 Scene 01 (60FPS).

Issue is that unless all the files are within the folder of the original scanned file (VTRM-10) then they will not ever be scanned or included in the list of files under the listing for VTRM-10

I know its may seem strange but over the years I've build a lot of custom folders and files on multiple HDs and so If that could be made a possibility then that would be my number 1 request. I know a lot of you have been collecting as long as I have. Im at almost 7k movies. I like to hold on so future people can watch the classics and they dont go away to the voids of obscurity.

Moxy

JAV Archiever
Dec 22, 2009
Just published a new release. Actress scrapers should be fixed, and I've added a set of automated tests that should let me catch and fix these issues more easily in the future.

Note that I'm not even bothering to try to parse the unholy mess of alternate names on JavRave.club.

Thanks for this. Im rescanning actresses and soon movies so ill let you know how it goes.

All seemed to have gone well with actresses. Moving on to movies soon. Ive renamed a lot so doing a re-scan.

Last edited: