So I really want an anime with a great story...

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

snowrelicz

Apr 9, 2007
Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto is not bad. the only problem I have with this show is that it gets quite confusing with the names in the show, be it the places or the characters. also, IMO, it tends to get a little too factual. soo... I don't think much people will like this much.

bossman

Apr 3, 2007
Texhonolyze.

And I'm about half way through Ergo Proxy and its great, its the best series I've watched in a while.

Dmitri

LOLIPLZ
Apr 5, 2007
Go for Deathnote, it's one of those ingenious things that you won't want to stop watching.
2nd recommendations,
Ghost Hunt is great even though it is not made up of a single story line but rather short arcs. I really enjoyed that one.
Shakugan no Shana, although it has slow points i personally found it to be memorable, very rare among so many animes out there.
Gun x Sword wasn't entirely original in plot, but i found it enormously enjoyable.
Claymore, very cool, but also very current, only 4 episodes out.
Kanazuki no Miko - not popular, some people might trash it, but IMO i loved that series definetly one of my favorites, and a very original plot and style. The sound track kicked butt too.
Full Metal Panic is not super duper original but its got a great plot and is certainly one of the most watchable animes ever.
Darker than Black - also looks spectacular, but only about 4 episodes subbs do far.

What *not* to watch:
Erementar Gerad, Black Cat, Jigoku Shoujo, Tsubasa Chronicles

these seem popular but im luke-warm to them:
Fate/Stay Night - Good anime, fairly flat plot originality
Speed Grapher was certainly original, but i found parts of it sequential, and rather unsatisfying in general.

You may want to get recommendations on these, i plan to see them but have not yet, they look very good:
Mushishi
Basilisk
Gilgamesh
Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto

DEATH NOTE is WIN.
Of course, you follow it with a chaser of CODE GEASS.

FATE STAY/NIGHT
Many say it's good. I've watched until episode 6. It got a bit boring. But it still holds some promise. Will try to get back to it.

BASILISK
Now THIS is what a NINJA ANIME should look like. But the ending will drive you INSANE.

GILGAMESH
First episode bored me, so I didn't continue anymore.

BAKUMATSU KIKANSETSU IROHANIHOHETO - Yes, I've memorized the title. :3
It's good. But EXTREMELY LAGGING. Prepare yourself for a slow progressing storyline.

SHAKUGAN NO SHANA
Was disappointing. You'd think there would be more characters aside from the 5 you will be introduced to in the first few episodes.
Hope no more. For there will be none.
And good animation is only on the first episode.

GUN X SWORD
Vash the Stampede has a ROBOT! = WIN.
Didnt get far into the anime yet. Still finding the bandwidth and time.

CLAYMORE
For something made by MADHOUSE. Animation is disappointing. But ART is AMAZING.
WATCH PLZ.

KANAZUKI NO MIKO
Prepare for slight yuri, and (only) slight mecha - from what I've heard.
I've watched about 2 episodes.

SPEEDGRAPHER
Capitalism at its finest. It shows you how money can make people the most demented and disturbed of villains.

DARKER THAN BLACK
Powers that have a price. I LOVE IT. <3
No Dragonball-esque, I shoot you with a BAJILLION JOULES OF ENERGY without breaking a sweat, yo.

That's all for now.
:grassdance:​

Tamichi

Local Psychopath
Jan 24, 2007
I second Noir.

And if you think it might intrest you try tracking down a copy of the Battle Angel Alita OVA, there were only two episodes made, supposedly to promote the manga, but back when it came out it was considered one of the best animes to come to the US. My first years of anime were from when I was really young, like 5 or 6 best maybe, but I rember this was one of my first animes. It's actually faint memories of this anime that years later set me out on a hunt for the manga. (A few barely rembered sketchy details of one scene ended up costing me about $170 spent on manga once I found the series after a few months of searching. That's how much of an impression that anime left on me, though I can't manage to track down a copy of the OVA my self :p) It's out of print so expect to pay alot if you find it on ebay, or nothing if you can find a torrent that isn't dead. This would be great to revisit before the new movie version by James Cameron comes out, can't wait for 2009! :please:

Ok, wow, now that my little rant about how great the Alita OVA was let's move on to some other anime. Try the movie Metropolis is definitly worth it, don't confuse it with the 1927 movie by Fritz Lang though (though that's a good movie too). As for series, I would recoment Cromartie High, I loved that one, perhaps though it's only because I'm a delinquint myself (I looked like Hayashida last year, but my mohawk was red now it's gone and my hair is a little bit more normal. This upsets me :distressed: ). And you must see Jin Roh.

I sure you have checked out Boogiepop Phantom and Paranoia Agent btw? Or am I wrong on this? If I am wrong you missed out on a whole lot of awsomeness.

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
I've seen Gankutsuou and I seen Juuni Kokuk up to episode 8, the main character pisses me off...she gets too emo, does that go away?

She gets over it later on. You get to see her 'evolve' and mature over the course of the series.

FlashSwordIrene

Oct 4, 2007
Heres a few titles for you to check out

Starship Operators
Gundam MS IGLOO (CG animated gundam) (hmmm the huge cannon in this one looks strikingly similar to the Mako cannon in FF7)
Rozen Maiden
Rozen Maiden Traumend
Rozen Maiden OVA (Suigintou)
D Gray Man (Ghost Of Mateel arc)

Bafucin

\(o.O)/
Apr 15, 2007
(¤) Death Note.
(¤) Monster.
(¤) D.Gray-man.
(¤) Claymore.
(¤) Ergo Proxy.

Roronoa Zoro

Feb 3, 2008
Berserk, Gungrave, Ghost In The Shell, Rurouni Kenshin till the Shishio arc, Ergo Proxy, Gankutsuou, Planetes, His And Her Circumstances, Nana, Wolf's Rain, Full Metal Alchemist, One Piece, Monster, Hunter X Hunter, Aishiteruze Baby ... to list a few. There're a lot others I'm forgetting :p

Astb

Nov 7, 2007
I vote for:
Claymore
Death Note
RahXephon
Ghost in the Shell

I saw part of Paranoia Agent, but I couldn't wrap my head around it. I would probably have to watch the episodes I had seen before over again and then really mull them over in my head.

I have heard good things about Darker than Black, Jin Roh, Juuni Kokuki and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann but I haven't seen them myself.

Roronoa Zoro

Feb 3, 2008
Claymore was an utter disappointment post episode 19/20 where they screwed up the story bigtime, everything before that I loved and the manga's good too. RahXephon, GOOD PICK!

DTB, Jin Roh, Juuni K and Tengen are good series ... Tengen's SO epic, it had me in splits most of the time! You'll know why when you go past 10 episodes ... DTB is great up until you get to the end and go 'wthell ...' : p ... Death Note for me was fresh till L was alive. When it comes to the Gundam's it's gotta be MSG, MS 08th Team, Stardust Memory ... the new series is interesting though it has some parallels to the commercial lame Seed and Seed Destiny series. Shigurai's another hard to find, but intense dated Samurai series that I've come to love.

Astb

Nov 7, 2007
I didn't read the manga, so I had no comparison. It didn't disappoint me enough for me to say anything bad about it.
Yeah, I think RahXephon is often overlooked, so I had to try and bring it to people's attention.

I'll have to check them out then.

ReiRei0

Mar 21, 2007
Honey And Clover
Rozen Maiden
Tsubasa Chronicle
Mushishishishishishishi

But especially Honey And Clover

Konata Izumi

Mar 27, 2008
"Honey and Clover"
"The Girl Who Leapt Through Time"
"5cm per second"
"Genshiken"
"Kenkou Zenrakei Suieibu Umisho"
"Death Note"
"Monster"

They've got masterpiece storylines that you'll never forget.
Also try Director Hayao Miyazaki films.. lots of them have good stories.
Such as Princess Mononoke,Whisper of the Heart etc..

fightloli

May 7, 2008
Death Note and Ghost hunt,I like both of them so much~^_^

gizmogal

Nov 10, 2006
If you can take some girly stuff, I liked Emma Victorian Romance... it's historical fiction, and there is some amazing artwork in it.
I also loved Windy Tales... pretty carefree, but involved enough. For a weird story, try Zettai Shounen (sp?)... or Shadow Star Narutaru, that's got a crazy story (but the manga is great as well).

Animan

The Mysterious Stranger
Dec 31, 2006
I can also vouch for Emma and H&C those were very well done. Another good anime that's fairly recent is Kure-nai. It's story is fairly good but what won me over was really the excellent characters and the way they interacted.