So I really want an anime with a great story...

Jan 17, 2007
I've been craving for a really good story, by good story...I mean something deep, original and plain awesome. =P

Does anyone have suggestions besides the usual(EVA, Lain...etc)

Animan

The Mysterious Stranger
Dec 31, 2006
Monster
Twelve Kingdoms
Haibane Renmei
PLANETES

I really enjoyed the story in those anime, and I highly recommend you check them out.

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
I second Twelve Kingdoms, or Juuni Kokuki, as I really enjoyed that one.

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
I also recommend Juuni Kokuki.

top_scorer

Busty Lover
Feb 19, 2007
I love ghost hunt! Too bad it has already end at ep 25, hope it got 2nd season, cheers!

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
Monster is definitely worth the watch. Great story, characters and it never got boring even with all the episodes. Nice ending too.

Code Geass although still not finished.

Dmitri

LOLIPLZ
Apr 5, 2007
Great and Serious storyline.

Eureka 7
Ergo Proxy
MONSTER
Speedgrapher
Le Chevalier D'Eon

More contemporary and/or action oriented:
Mai-HiMe
Code Geass
Death Note

These are only SOME of the better animes out there recently. :cool:

anime1

Apr 2, 2007
I think Monster is great but the whole thing couldve ended in about 52 eps if they wanted to, they just kept it dragging. Smart people.

Eureka 7 is so damn boring. It has the same lame plot as most other animes. Corruption/Exploitation. GAY! The fighting between the 2 main Bots were sooo good; but nooo, they decide to make it more story orientated. Those fools.

I reccommend Gankutsuou. Original story, very original art. May be a little boring in beginning but it picks up.

About Twelve Kingdoms, the story seems a lot like China history. haha. Pretty good show.

Once you find out about the Exploitation and Corruption in the storyline for animes the show gets really lame imo. I could so enjoy many animes but now that I am actually aware (concious) about these things it doesnt work for me anymore. Even Scrapped Princess; I mean it good but the story is so concentrated on how stupid the masses are and how they are controlled by Religion. It just isnt the same anymore. Damn it!!

Jan 17, 2007
I've seen Gankutsuou and I seen Juuni Kokuk up to episode 8, the main character pisses me off...she gets too emo, does that go away?

Dmitri

LOLIPLZ
Apr 5, 2007
I think Monster is great but the whole thing couldve ended in about 52 eps if they wanted to, they just kept it dragging. Smart people.

Eureka 7 is so damn boring. It has the same lame plot as most other animes. Corruption/Exploitation. GAY! The fighting between the 2 main Bots were sooo good; but nooo, they decide to make it more story orientated. Those fools.

I reccommend Gankutsuou. Original story, very original art. May be a little boring in beginning but it picks up.

About Twelve Kingdoms, the story seems a lot like China history. haha. Pretty good show.

Once you find out about the Exploitation and Corruption in the storyline for animes the show gets really lame imo. I could so enjoy many animes but now that I am actually aware (concious) about these things it doesnt work for me anymore. Even Scrapped Princess; I mean it good but the story is so concentrated on how stupid the masses are and how they are controlled by Religion. It just isnt the same anymore. Damn it!!
Yes, Eureka 7 is boring. BUT, in closer inspection it is actually quite PSYCHOLOGICAL.

I myself compare it to EVA. Though the psychological, mind-teasing aspect is much more apparent in that series, than in Eureka 7.

Eureka 7's DREAM SEQUENCES alone should make you wonder.
Taking it at face value won't make any sense, thus you have to scrutinize it further. Find the meanings in all the imagery.

The dogfights and bot-fights are good supplements, but it's the story that brings it all together.

It really isn't supposed to be a kid's anime - though yes, it touches on teen angst, confusion and other teenager issues, but there are more issues that is aimed for a far more mature audience.

:notagain:​

anime1

Apr 2, 2007
True True, unfortunately I dont remember what happened in the dream sequences. I dont plan to scructinize such a boring anime. It wont make it any better, It will only make me get mad at it even more for wasting my time.

But I am glad someone actually posted. If you havent you should read
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Great book.

Dmitri

LOLIPLZ
Apr 5, 2007
True True, unfortunately I dont remember what happened in the dream sequences. I dont plan to scructinize such a boring anime. It wont make it any better, It will only make me get mad at it even more for wasting my time.

But I am glad someone actually posted. If you havent you should read
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Great book.
Oh. And I forgot to mention that there is going to be a Live-action, AMERICAN version of MONSTER. :runintears:

The rights have already been bought by a prominent filming company whose name escapes me at the moment.

So this could still be either a good or a bad thing. :beautiful2: / :crazed:

diomedes

OverCaffeinated Libertine
Jan 9, 2007
Go for Deathnote, it's one of those ingenious things that you won't want to stop watching.
2nd recommendations,
Ghost Hunt is great even though it is not made up of a single story line but rather short arcs. I really enjoyed that one.
Shakugan no Shana, although it has slow points i personally found it to be memorable, very rare among so many animes out there.
Gun x Sword wasn't entirely original in plot, but i found it enormously enjoyable.
Claymore, very cool, but also very current, only 4 episodes out.
Kanazuki no Miko - not popular, some people might trash it, but IMO i loved that series definetly one of my favorites, and a very original plot and style. The sound track kicked butt too.
Full Metal Panic is not super duper original but its got a great plot and is certainly one of the most watchable animes ever.
Darker than Black - also looks spectacular, but only about 4 episodes subbs do far.

What *not* to watch:
Erementar Gerad, Black Cat, Jigoku Shoujo, Tsubasa Chronicles

these seem popular but im luke-warm to them:
Fate/Stay Night - Good anime, fairly flat plot originality
Speed Grapher was certainly original, but i found parts of it sequential, and rather unsatisfying in general.

You may want to get recommendations on these, i plan to see them but have not yet, they look very good:
Mushishi
Basilisk
Gilgamesh
Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto