Size of JAV Downloads

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

boshu22

Sep 11, 2009
Moderators, I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this. Sorry if it isn't.

Before I begin, let me say that I'm grateful that people post download links for JAV here. I'm not complaining here. I'm just curious why it's happening.

Has anyone noticed that the file size of JAV downloads have gone up in the past month or two. Two hour JAVs used to have an average file size of 1 GB to 1.5 GB. Lately, average file sizes have jumped up to 2.5 GB to 3 GB. Some two hour titles are almost 4 GB!

I'm curious about the reason behind the jump in file size. I could understand it if there was an improvement in picture quality but, to my eyes, the picture quality of the 3 GB downloads aren't much better than the quality I used to get with 1.5 GB downloads.

Anyone know what's going on?

qwerty07

Mar 3, 2010
Look for avi files. wmv and iso files are usually higher. rmvb files are usually the lowest at around 500mb.

Nick_Wells

Jan 3, 2013
As qwerty07 noted, file type can have effect. Also, check for actual screen resolution - if you can - prior do d/l. If there are screen-caps of it, the resolution should be listed at the top with the file size, bit-rate, etc. Of course, there's no guarantee that the info is 100% accurate, but it will give you something to compare to.

On a side note, I've seen screens caps for a d/l that are for a different version of the file than the one being made available. That can be frustrating...

Anyway, most likely the reason(s) you're seeing the changes in file size are probably due to file type and/or screen dimensions. You may not perceive a difference in quality, but it might be a "step-up" in native screen size.

Hope that helps!

-Nick

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
The bitrate is a major factor.  Some of them reach up to 8000kbps which used to be standard for retail DVDs (using MPEG2).  Using that bitrate on WMV files gets you close to DVD quality, but you do pay in file size.  A good test is to compare titles in fullscreen.  The larger files, if from a good source, will look much better than the smaller AVI or 1.5GB WMV files when viewed fullscreen or even at 2x size.

Really, these newer releases have better quality than older ones.  The only thing is if they aren't broken up into scenes, which seems to be frowned upon, you have to bite the full 3GB file.

Aug 25, 2010
Some of the file sizes have been ridiculous. I've even seen someone upload some Blu-Ray that went 10GB! I don't ever touch those but that would take probably 2-3 days alone.

However, some of the file sizes have been very good as of late. Someone has been doing 400-500mb RVMB files and I really like those. These tend to come up a week after everything gets out, so you have to wait.

As I rule, I don't touch any single video over 2.5GB.