JAV Stars - Reaction To Western Fans?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Hans Kowalski

Feb 27, 2007
https://twitter.com/hoshikawa_maki/status/785402127833104385

slNUdYn.png

Cool stuff.

Reactions: PK Atomsk

Hans Kowalski

Feb 27, 2007
Yo! Inertia, my man! This isn't really on-topic, but what do my eyes see? You're affiliated with Zenra.net?

I gotta ask, how do you guys go about deciding what videos to translate? I signed up twice for a month each when I saw you had a movie translated that I was interested in. The quality of the translations seems great, I mean, I can't tell how accurate they are but they read well. But most of the movie selection is a bit...eh. Lots of old stuff with more or less amateur actresses. Is there any way to influence the decision making process? Is it just difficult to get AV companies on board for their newer, high profile releases? As it is now I couldn't really justify keeping my subscription going.

Similiarily, you guys also seem responsible for this site: https://www.mydearestdesire.com/

Is there a way to influence which actress' interviews you're going to translate? Loved the long interviews with Ai Uehara and Ayu Sakurai. (And yeah, I get that the Sakurai interview translation was mostly done to advertise the then upcoming translation of her Gokkun movie.:p)

https://www.mydearestdesire.com/search?terms=ai+uehara#article/340/ai-uehara-interview-part-one

https://www.mydearestdesire.com/search?terms=ayu+sakurai+#article/321/ayu-sakurai-interview-part-one

Last edited:

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
Thanks for the comments, Hans and thanks for being an on-and-off subscriber.

Yes, I do work for them and have done most of the subtitling. Approximately 3 full movies a week.

"I gotta ask, how do you guys go about deciding what videos to translate?"
"Lots of old stuff with more or less amateur actresses."

Our goal is to showcase a variety of AV both new and old from various studios. Some updates (like our Wednesday ones) are mostly 'classic' updates filmed in the early to mid 2000's. I guess I'm a bit weird, but I love that we show these titles. Some may look old, but I feel they're really cool erotic time capsules of JAV's most successful era. However, you can always skip watching if they aren't your thing.

Monday and Friday updates consist of newer releases we directly license from the studios (whom we have met and still meet on many occasions). Some studios are iffy about letting us license brand new releases. For example, WAAP/DREAM TICKET told us we can license anything produced up to a year ago. We'll hopefully try to get them to relax this after we start featuring them in about a week (Tsubomi Dream Shower's going up very soon). Other studios are a bit more carefree and let us license anything. For example, the last time we ordered from [Redacted] we also got a title that wasn't even released for another month (!). [Redacted] = probably best not to name the studio since it was a pre-release title at the time.

Some studios have us mail them a HDD which they load with the raw production-run master tape files like WAAP and others may just send us the production-run DVD to rip and encode.

However, even if we license a brand new release, we still need to translate it and prep it for its update and when you factor in our update schedule and needing to have multiple months prepped in advance, that brand new release may not have its legal English subtitles debut for half a year or more.

Per MyDearestDesire, in the past we've just scoured the net for interviews of titles we're working on, but we're actually going to be halting the site soon (BUT NOT SHUTTING IT DOWN) as we need more time to focus on ZENRA. As I wrote in another thread, if any A-O members with decent Japanese wish to translate interviews, write editorials, or review JAV title (for example, review their favorite title and link back to R18 using their affiliate program), they should contact us on either site's contact form.

PS, noticed the sig. Yuu Kawakami's coming next year for multiple releases including one with a new studio we signed with last month whose name is still being kept a secret. :)

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
PS, noticed the sig. Yuu Kawakami's coming next year for multiple releases including one with a new studio we signed with last month whose name is still being kept a secret. :)

so next year we will see new studios ? cool, I hope more studios that spesialized in orgy :)

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
Sorry there Supmop. Zero plans for orgy titles from here on out. Way too hard and frustrating to subtitle.

2 more studios on top of the ones already listed on the site will be announced at the end of the year. One's been around since the 80's and probably everybody knows them and the other is much newer and only makes high quality drama titles.

Hans Kowalski

Feb 27, 2007
Great news hearing about your deal with WAAP, they've made some great, underrated stuff over the years.

Personally I'd love to see some of Dogma's dirty talk handjob/blowjob titles translated:

mayCXZJ.jpg

F2dtruf.jpg

lmvt3LL.jpg

81Srf3r.jpg

uHvQ7Gm.jpg

But I get that it's a hard request to fulfill, since these movies are pretty much a 2 hour stream of constant chatter.

And great to hear about Kawakami, my favorite actress. Can you at least say in what kind of genres she'll appear on your side?

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
Dogma's on our radar, but it's not a studio we work with at the moment. The problem is their titles mainly are those dirty talk ones (which we're not only fine with subtitling but already do for other makers) and really hard BDSM which is walking on a line with western billing companies.

And just to clarify for what I wrote to Supmop: we've no plans for orgy and harem titles (sorry!), but we still of course will release titles with groups of people in them. It's just when it's a situation where everyone's talking at the same time that makes subtitling extremely difficult bordering on not worth it. Trying to read nonstop text at the bottom of the screen while watching an AV may be asking too much for one-handed viewers.

Yuu Kawakami: we've at least four movies with her coming next year. Two are drama and one's lesbian and the other's somewhat public exposure-themed.

Hans Kowalski

Feb 27, 2007
Dogma's on our radar, but it's not a studio we work with at the moment. The problem is their titles mainly are those dirty talk ones (which we're not only fine with subtitling but already do for other makers) and really hard BDSM which is walking on a line with western billing companies.

Well, they do have the scat stuff which I guess could be a problem based on some of your previous comments, but that's not really my thing anyway.:p

They used to do a lot of simple "Throat fuck until the girl vomits" movies though. I don't think this should cause too many issues, you can see that kinda BDSM facefuck stuff from western makers too.

And about their dirty talk movies...I didn't think the content was the big issue, just, I can't think of any other dirty talk series where they talk *that* much throughout the entire 2 hour movie.:p

Yuu Kawakami: we've at least four movies with her coming next year. Two are drama and one's lesbian and the other's somewhat public exposure-themed.

Since you can pick from WAAP's entire catalogue older than a year, can I recommend this one?

chtWTxr.jpg

It's pretty short but one of my absolute favorites and I think one that would benefit a lot from being able to understand what she's saying. She's basically taunting the POV protagonist throughout the entire ordeal with dirty talk while making him watch her fuck two other dudes during the first two scenes. In the last scene she finally plays with the POV dude/viewer after all the waiting and taunting.

If you put this one up you absolutely got my subscription for at least another month.

Edit: And to get back to the topic a bit: Yo, what's up with this Kawakami girl? Not only does she never respond to foreign fans, she doesn't respond to *any* of her fans on twitter! I'm literally shaking with onreasonable, overblown anger right now.

Last edited:

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
Hans: I'll input your request, but I can't promise on it. We'll be licensing more from WAAP probably later this year or early next year. 64 minutes is pretty short though.

We can't show vomit either unfortunately and gagging is a gray area.

As for why Yuu Kawakami doesn't reply to fans? Probably just doesn't want to get started. Reply to one and then you may feel obligated to reply all. Don't feel upset if she doesn't acknowledge you. Some stars may just want to keep their distance.

Hans Kowalski

Feb 27, 2007
Hans: I'll input your request, but I can't promise on it. We'll be licensing more from WAAP probably later this year or early next year. 64 minutes is pretty short though.

Thanks for that. Is the 64 minutes thing an issue though? I mean, in the end, you're selling subscriptions and not individual movies, priced according to their runtime. Granted, I don't really know what current subscribers expect from you guys.

WAAP has a lot of titles with only 1 hour runtime btw. Actually, Kawakami herself had a very similiar themed 1-hour WAAP release just a couple of weeks ago.

2C72oEU.jpg

As for why Yuu Kawakami doesn't reply to fans? Probably just doesn't want to get started. Reply to one and then you may feel obligated to reply all. Don't feel upset if she doesn't acknowledge you. Some stars may just want to keep their distance.

Haha, don't worry, I wasn't really serious and it's not like I ever wrote them anything myself. I just noticed that she's pretty much the only AV actress of the ones I follow that never responds to fans.

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
We generally pay a set price per title when licensing (plus monthly revenue share based on downloads and streams). Our license offerings to them are usually based on the fact that a title is about 2 hours. We offer more for 3+ hour movies since we split them into two updates (since it takes longer to subtitle). On the other end of the spectrum a 'new release' movie only running about an hour may be too short to warrant an update on its own. I won't count out your suggestions and already made notes. When the time draws nearer for when we make our next order, we'll look over the titles more and make a decision.

StageNinja47

Sep 21, 2013
I think that if Japan where to open up the JAV industry to foreign markets. it would actually help JAV idols acknowledge and maybe even interact with foreign fans more. Espcecially if they find out that they have a large following out side japan. I know that R18.com is up and running, but I thing that JAV idols would take more notice if people and fans bought their videos in physical media like dvd and blu-ray. In particular limited and special edition dvds. I think that the most viable option would be if amazon.co.jp. I order things from japan through it in the past and its actually quite affordable and super fast. I order some books, dvd and figures and the shipping has alwasy been around $10-15 and shipping takes two days. The only thing that sucks is that they are not allow to sell any adult items whether it be gravure or jav outside of japan.

silent1one

Dec 10, 2016
Some av actress attend the avn, so they know they got a niche group of fans, but they mostly focus on Japanese + Chinese as their major target audiences. China/Taiwan paid them a lot to dance at their clubs. Yui hatano and anri okita began to learn mandarin a few years ago like sora aoi did in the past. Despite all the government censorship there, they are still hired to film game promos and stage shows.

Last edited:

Hans Kowalski

Feb 27, 2007
Kurea Hasumi has an official english language twitter account now.

蓮實克蕾兒KureaHasumi (@kureahasumi_eng) | Twitter

Now whether it's really herself writing the tweets or someone else is a different question. Her regular, japanese twitter is mostly herself I'd assume, with all the random stuff and frequency she tweets. This one is mostly just event announcements, but she only opened it a couple of days ago, so who knows.

Hans Kowalski

Feb 27, 2007
Oh, okay, that's what I assumed at first, but then you wrote our twice.

Yeah, she did, that's how I found it in the first place. She even has it linked in her Twitter bio.

蓮実クレア@24日クリスマスイベント (@kurea_hasumi) | Twitter

So it's a lot more legit than Ruka Kanae's now inactive english account, where it says "Don't mention this to japanese fans!!", which might've very well been just be a fan posing as her and translating her tweets.

Kanae Ruka (@jpavidolruka) | Twitter

Reactions: Inertia