Request for Comments: major changes coming to the Idol DVD & Bluray Downloads section

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Hi guys,

We're planning some major changes to this "Idol DVD & Bluray Downloads" subforum. The objective is to cut down on the heavy reposting going on in here, and to help make never-before-shared videos more prominent. Our current plan of action is:

1) All videos that don't have a DVD/Bluray code will be moved to the new "Idol Video Clip Downloads" subforum.

2) Existing megathreads will be closed, and new ones will not be allowed.

3) A "One thread per title" rule will be instituted, after staff have completed extensive cleanup operations. That means a filehost mirror or re-encode will be posted as a reply to an existing thread, never as a new thread. In other words, every DVD/Bluray code will have one thread, and one thread only.

#3 (in particular) is a pretty big change. I'd be interested to hear comments by the regular users. Also, if any of you wish to assist in the cleanup efforts (moving, renaming and merging threads) please contact me or Chompy! We could really use your help.

grisa

Akiba Citizen
Mar 5, 2007
Thank you for the hard work. BTW what about different size releases of the same title? Should they be in the same thread as well?

diomedes

OverCaffeinated Libertine
Jan 9, 2007
I've been using the Dl forum much more recently in the past few months. I think a big cleanup would help a lot, it has been getting out of control recently.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
BTW what about different size releases of the same title? Should they be in the same thread as well?
There is no new rule yet. What's your opinion on putting all uploads of a title in a single thread, including different-sized ones?

I've been using the Dl forum much more recently
What's the "DI forum"?

diomedes

OverCaffeinated Libertine
Jan 9, 2007
I don't even know where that came from, the I is not even close to the D so i can't make an excuse of a slip.... That's pretty bad. I meant DD. Srry.

Reactions: heaven hut

grisa

Akiba Citizen
Mar 5, 2007
There is no new rule yet. What's your opinion on putting all uploads of a title in a single thread, including different-sized ones?

I think it's not good to put together ISOs, AVI rips and small size encodes all together.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I think it's not good to put together ISOs, AVI rips and small size encodes all together.

may I ask why you think it is not good,

Why I say it is good
after all if you want everything in there own thread, instead of nearly 400 threads, you would have over 2000 threads to go through, and you will spend more time looking for the size of file you want, because in some of the extreme cases, threads has got over 25 different files sizes and hosters, and lastly there are a lot of codes that are wrong,

winodano

Akiba Citizen
Dec 31, 2007
My 2 cents -

1. There are alot of new people re-posting the same things from 1-3 years ago, I think posts with the same title should ALL go in the same thread (torrents & DDL seperate though) - easier to find and if it has been posted before we would know and if the links are dead or not too.

2. pictures should be also required to be posted on Akiba only - no hyper linking to some other place, most of them die out after time.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
My 2 cents -

1. There are alot of new people re-posting the same things from 1-3 years ago, I think posts with the same title should ALL go in the same thread (torrents & DDL seperate though) - easier to find and if it has been posted before we would know and if the links are dead or not too.

2. pictures should be also required to be posted on Akiba only - no hyper linking to some other place, most of them die out after time.

Your 2 cents are valid

I forgot to mention those who was posting stuff from the originals, Thank You

I agree with the pictures as well

grisa

Akiba Citizen
Mar 5, 2007
Maybe I'm strange, but for me it's easier to search through the thousands of threads then through thousands of posts within thread to look for single release. Also it's easier for the poster (at least for me) to keep track of separate threads he started than posts on x-th page of someone elses thread.

Cleaning can be acchieved by creating separate sub-sub-forums for each release type eg:
1 with code
- ISOs
- HD Rips
- DVD Rips
- LQ Rips
2 without code
- full lenght
- short clips

Also I disagree with placing pics on Akiba only (sorry guys, but that's what discussion is about, right?). I have two reasons:
1) Akiba server = slow, not so stable. Even creating posts sometimes requires lot of patience.
2) Convenience. It's much easier to manage your albums at other places than here. Also I'm afraid that major posters who contribute to other sites too (and that's majority I guess - at least Akiba + personal blog) wouldn't want to upload the covers separately for Akiba only.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
Convenience, for the poster who spams the board, that wants to auto post to every single board out there, just because one member, wants to post on many boards, it is easier for him, for me the best posters upload, (that means the one I mainly download from), do post directly to Akiba, and I have found many posters who multi post do not really care for Akiba, and post what they like when they like, I also find that those who post to external links, it takes longer, as there are several ads that get loaded, and the ad blocker gets over loaded

At certain peak times there is a slow down, as for the rest of the time, we are very competitive with our speeds, unless you want 200 pages loaded in under a second, we are looking at ways to speed up things in peak hours

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Re: cover images
You could use a temporary solution by promoting that covers be uploaded to AO, but still allowing authorized picture hosts, namely the ones that are safe and reliable (similar to the policy on allowed/banned filehosts).

You should still heavily underscore two important things:
1) image hosts usually stipulate in their TOS that they reserve the right to delete any and all images they want for whatever reason, so even though an image host's service may be reliable, there's no telling when they might randomly decided to begin deleting photos (at AO that wouldn't happen).
2) direct hotlinking from specific sites (eg: hotlinking cover images from DMM) means those sites will be able to spot AO as the referrer, and the more this happens, the more likely AO will get hit with cease-and-desist (aka: Do not upload!) letters.

Edit-- a third consideration:
Give the people some power to keep posters in line. If a user finds a thread where the cover image does not work (due to bad image host), give them the incentive to click the Report button. Then mods can give posters a grace period to fix the problem, after which they risk closure or removal of the thread. That way responsibility lies with the poster.
--

As for combined/separate threads for different versions/formats of the same file, I have no specific opinion. But do consider:
If all different formats are kept within one single thread (posted as replies), it reduces the amount of searching necessary for a user to find a specific format, and also eliminates any need for posters to cross-reference each others' posts (eg: "Go to this thread for the ISO/AVI version").
However, any discussion about a specific format (eg: "I can't get the AVI to play in VLC, any help?") will apply to the entire thread, in addition to different format and/or filehost requests.

I will say that I am leaning a bit towards the combined thread option, if only for the reason that it will make thread title formatting significantly simpler ("[DVD Code] Idol - Title (Release Date)") without having to additionally include format, file size, etc.

If posters are worried about not getting their share of "thanks" because they arent the "first post", you could consider another rule where the first post should be information only (cover image, DVD code, release date, extra information), and that all download options (filehost links, mirrors, torrent file downloads, etc) should be posted as replies.

I should also say: for any posters who simply spam the board with their cash links, AO doesn't lose anything if they decide to leave (or are banned) because of the new posting rules. There will always be someone else at AO to upload the files while following the rules, and for spammers there's always other places on the internet to earn clicks.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
That is a good idea Guy, if the first post has all the info, including pictures posted to Akiba, ie cover and screenshots, there is no need to post picture or its links several times, and all the added formats and sizes do not require pictures, unless some members like to add some other screen clips or even better cover pictures

grisa

Akiba Citizen
Mar 5, 2007
Huh? Why suddenly talk about spammers?? That's not really what I had in mind ... :dunno:

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
Huh? Why suddenly talk about spammers?? That's not really what I had in mind ... :dunno:

you might not have had that in mind, but unfortunately it happens, you have been here as long as I have, and we have seen the changes in the last year, there was more etiquette and easier to navigate without going through masses of double posts

javr

Dec 3, 2009
Here's some of my opinion on the subject.....

1) All videos that don't have a DVD/Bluray code will be moved to the new "Idol Video Clip Downloads" subforum.

This is pretty straight forward. Shouldn't have any problem.

2) Existing megathreads will be closed, and new ones will not be allowed.

I find a Collectors/Mega threads valuable. Provided the original poster is committed to maintain/update the links, info, etc.
But, of course, only one thread per Idol or Series(New Kiss, Miss Magazine) is allowed. In alot of cases, I'm tempted to start one for one of my favorite idol.

3) A "One thread per title" rule will be instituted, after staff have completed extensive cleanup operations. That means a filehost mirror or re-encode will be posted as a reply to an existing thread, never as a new thread. In other words, every DVD/Bluray code will have one thread, and one thread only.

This rule works for me. However, I wonder if this will hinder search results because of different translation of title and/or spelling of idol's name.

In addition, I'd like to add my thought on the NO mirrors rules.
I understand that the original contributor want to earn credits from their respective filehosts(and deservedly so), but NOT all filehost works for everyone(depending on your regions/ISP/etc).
How about setting a period, say 6 mths from the original "NO Mirrors" post, before mirrors are allowed.
I for one know not all mirrors are out to earn credits. Some just want to share and help the community.

Another thought(that most likely be ignored), I think Requesting threads should be in their respective "Request" sub-forum(in this case, Idol Direct Downloads). I feel like it's more likely to be answered and easier to answer(especially older videos). Also a good place highlight request of re-upload of old dead links.

Regards.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
We're now looking at an alternative to adding a "One thread per title" rule (which would add moderation duties to our over-burdened staff.)

The idea is to find and pay a developer to modify the forum so that DVD codes are required input when creating a new thread. If the software detects that a DVD code already has been posted, the new thread gets posted as a reply to the existing thread.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
rule 10. Do not double post. If a title has already been posted on a particular filehost, you may not re-post it on that same filehost. Always search the forum for the DVD code (i.e. "MIDD635" and "MIDD-635") before uploading a DVD rip or .ISO. Encodings of different sizes are exempt from this rule. Videos by Exclusive Uploaders (the guys with the blue usernames) cannot be re-posted at all, unless your encoding is of a different size.

it looks like I have been very lenient with those who have posted [COLOR="Blue"[B]][COLOR="Blue"]exclusive uploaoder[/COLOR]s[/B] [/COLOR] material, in the past, I have removed the problem posts, but because the violations are increasing and the complaints are increasing, I WILL ISSUE INFRACTIONS so to make it easier for everybody SEARCH FIRSTplease, I do not want to delete posts, and I do not want to issue infractions, and please thank the by using the thanks button posters and enjoy what is posted, after all, they are really helping this board, so use your sense if you want to enjoy your stay here

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Man there are so many small places here at akiba that I just never get to make it to. I'm all for this clean up! The code sounds like a killer idea. I hope that it can be easily and cheaply implemented. I also stand by the original rule of one title per thread, regardless of uploader. Keeping it simple and clean. If there's any extra help needed please let me know and I'll do it. Manually moving threads, editing, etc…

abdul.fig

Oct 22, 2010
rule 10. Do not double post. If a title has already been posted on a particular filehost, you may not re-post it on that same filehost. Always search the forum for the DVD code (i.e. "MIDD635" and "MIDD-635") before uploading a DVD rip or .ISO. Encodings of different sizes are exempt from this rule. Videos by Exclusive Uploaders (the guys with the blue usernames) cannot be re-posted at all, unless your encoding is of a different size.

it looks like I have been very lenient with those who have posted [COLOR="Blue"[B]][COLOR="Blue"]exclusive uploaoder[/COLOR]s[/B] [/COLOR] material, in the past, I have removed the problem posts, but because the violations are increasing and the complaints are increasing, I WILL ISSUE INFRACTIONS so to make it easier for everybody SEARCH FIRSTplease, I do not want to delete posts, and I do not want to issue infractions, and please thank the by using the thanks button posters and enjoy what is posted, after all, they are really helping this board, so use your sense if you want to enjoy your stay here

These rules are really useful. In the last few Weeks allot of Uploaders (who aren't exclusive uploaders) appeared posting their own Videos in this forum, what I discovered is that it's often a matter of hours (or even minutes) until someone else posts mirrors on different filehosts, (the reason is that most filehosts nowerdays have a feature called remote-upload so they just have copy and paste the links and after a minute or two you get the mirrored links on the filehost you remotely uploaded them too.)
In my opinion thats very unfair towards the original uploader, (who not only have to buy these DVDs but also have the ripping and uploading work to do) because they make money of the work of others and take away part their profits.

Two examples:
http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949260
http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949258

Maybe a new rule could be introduced that posting links of other Filehosts is only allowed if someone asks for a particular host or if the original posters links are offline.