Offer to down-convert videos?

Ship-Shape

Aug 26, 2015
Recently, more and more 1080p content is becoming available. That's great, but it causes stress for some viewers with slow internet, low-power hardware, and low HD space (like me).

Seemingly, most often there is not a high-quality SD, or lower-quality HD version (like 720p), made available alongside the full HD version.

Would it be interesting if I convert some of these 1080p movies to a lower spec. and make them available ? Or, is somebody already doing this?

axeon73

Jun 24, 2015
smalljav[dot]us does this for some videos. they encode with HEVC, though, which requires more computation to decode.

Ship-Shape

Aug 26, 2015
Oh, I see. Well, if they only do some videos, then it sounds like we could use more, right?
540p is exactly 25% or 1/4 the data of 1080p.

axeon73

Jun 24, 2015
Ya, I could see there being demand for it. Encode to 540p or 720p AVC or HEVC so you get a 1GB file instead of 6GB 1080p. Just get a watermark free source and you'll be loved.

Ship-Shape

Aug 26, 2015
Okay, sounds interesting.

There's at least one problem though: I don't have an FJ account, and I'm quite literally not allowed to spend money for that. Would it be possible to piggy-back off of somebody else's account in order to upload? Sorry, I'm not familiar with how FJ accounts work. Maybe there's a lock-out if this is attempted? :confused: