Offer to down-convert videos?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Ship-Shape

Aug 26, 2015
Recently, more and more 1080p content is becoming available. That's great, but it causes stress for some viewers with slow internet, low-power hardware, and low HD space (like me).

Seemingly, most often there is not a high-quality SD, or lower-quality HD version (like 720p), made available alongside the full HD version.

Would it be interesting if I convert some of these 1080p movies to a lower spec. and make them available ? Or, is somebody already doing this?

axeon73

Jun 24, 2015
smalljav[dot]us does this for some videos. they encode with HEVC, though, which requires more computation to decode.

Ship-Shape

Aug 26, 2015
Oh, I see. Well, if they only do some videos, then it sounds like we could use more, right?
540p is exactly 25% or 1/4 the data of 1080p.

axeon73

Jun 24, 2015
Ya, I could see there being demand for it. Encode to 540p or 720p AVC or HEVC so you get a 1GB file instead of 6GB 1080p. Just get a watermark free source and you'll be loved.

Ship-Shape

Aug 26, 2015
Okay, sounds interesting.

There's at least one problem though: I don't have an FJ account, and I'm quite literally not allowed to spend money for that. Would it be possible to piggy-back off of somebody else's account in order to upload? Sorry, I'm not familiar with how FJ accounts work. Maybe there's a lock-out if this is attempted? :confused: