Non-English Thread Titles

compulsory

Obsessed
Sep 30, 2010
Increasingly, the JAV Downloads section has been flooded with thread titles which are only in Japanese. This didn't used to be so common, as the majority of posters did their best to at least half-heartedly translate the titles, or pull the translation from somewhere. I think it's a problem because most users have no idea how to read Japanese or what the studio codes are, and personally I don't feel like clicking every single link to see what kind of content it is (especially in the Fetish section, where the results can be...unwanted).

Anyway it's just my opinion, but I wouldn't mind seeing an enforcement of some descriptive English in thread titles, or some kind of thread snapshot upon hovering over them, or anything to make the content more obvious.

kraidazen

Death Emperor
Feb 12, 2009
we really don't need to enforce english in the thread titles because such titles are limited per uploader's choice of words and it really be prejudicial to non-native english speakers

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Enforcement of such a rule would see a sharp decline in the number of posts. Who wants to be forced to do something that isn't necessary? I understand your frustration in not being able to read Japanese. However that is something you'll just have to get used to.

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
Perhaps we could implement tags such as Teen, Mature, OL, Soap, Fetish, BDSM etc that must be selected to post a thread. A couple of European forums I visit actually have the cover next to the title which you can hover over to expand it for a preview without having to open the post itself!

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
wonderful things tags, pity more was not used from them, but still,

I have the same problem, but if the poster has a problem in translating, you could get anything, and if like me you use a few translators, you will get many different answers

Gir633

Señor Member
Oct 28, 2008
wonderful things tags, pity more was not used from them, but still,

I have the same problem, but if the poster has a problem in translating, you could get anything, and if like me you use a few translators, you will get many different answers

I use the ImTranslator add-on in Firefox, which gives you Babylon, Microsoft, and Google translations, and they always are different from each other. The funny thing is one is not always right or wrong. So I end up comparing the 3 and picking the one that is the least gibberish, and still end up kind of making up my own title out of the translation many times.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
desioner has the right of it, of course, but he may have been sugarcoating it a bit. There is a good reason a poster uses a non-english title, he is targeting a non-english speaking audience. Akiba-Online has a much larger fan base in Japan than in any other country. We are actually privledged that these posters choose to post here and share with us at all.
They have plenty of guidelines to follow already and that has likely caused a few good posters to go somewhere else, no sense in aggravating the situation.

Akiba-Online has a few rules in place which they do enforce, (last time I checked), and these well have to do. DVD Covers and the DVD Code must be included so this way you get a preview of the contents and a way to reference them. So while Rule #7 is in question here Rule #6 is there to save the day and keep a modicum of order.

Remember that our Japanese visitors keep Akiba-Online popular and current so if you have a Japanese title it is helpful to include it in your post. I don't post in the JAV sections as a rule, (though I have a few rare posts in the JAV torrent section), but when I make post of a Japanese movie or anime torrent I always include the Japanese title if I have one....and usually put it before the English title.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Adding my two cents to the pile. For japanese DVD releases or mangas or anything, the only official title IS the original one with kanjis.
It is possible to transliterate the words into the so-called romaji (the same text with our latin alphabet), but results are often getting wrong. And full translation can give also some funny results...
What you would need is a site similar to aniDB for JAV, which provides all kind of information about a given title, including english names. But this would require 1000 times the amount of work used to set up that site.

Jul 1, 2009
I personally would be happy with just the actress's name in English.

Google Chrome makes it fairly simple to machine translate every page on a site and I have used this function on Russian sites but I have not tried in the mixed environment here.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Coolkevin hit another nail on ht head. You can find so many more thins to your liking if only the members posting them would simply tag them. Unfortunately even if we enforced the use of tags there would still be a sharp decline in the number of posts. People usually do not like to have so many rules regarding what they can post.