Megaupload Down

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Steel-Angel

Jul 2, 2011
I imagine a tons of people, as some news reports have said it was in the millions of accounts that were all signed under Megaupload

Now my concern is this was done before SOPA nor PIPA were even set into play, if the FBI made this drastically uncalled move to one of the most popular and most reliable Direct Downloadable websites of all time, whats to stop them from hitting the other sites? Rapidshare, Filesonic, whats gonna happen when they're all gone? I know I sound probably very exaggerated and almost paniced by mentioning it, but seriously whats to stop the Government from ceasing these shut downs? Anonymous did something really brave, and cool to pay back the Dept of Justice by screwing with they're homepage, but remember they're just hackers, something like that isn't gonna make a really big impact to say we want MU back

What about the Anime, the Manga? Whats gonna happen it? to us that have downloaded like thousands of series be it licensed or unlicensed in the states, do we all go to prison now or what?
:defeat:

I seriously hope things don't get worse as I mentioned though

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
yup, and some others are blocking uploads coming from US IPs and/or mass-deleting files and accounts (mainly warez uploaders)

now that the big boy has fallen, all the smaller fishes are crapping their pants

sgirl

May 10, 2007
They've all gone down now too. Fileserve, Filesonic, you name it. Everything is shut down now.

Saissecap

Banned
Jul 16, 2011
This is a surprisingly big deal considering they were among the top 3 file hosting sites for pirated material. Having skim read through the 72 page legal document about it, it seems like theyve tried to pin as many things as they could... but got bored. Its as if they were like "Well, theres more than a hundred points, but more would be a bit pointless".
Really, I think theyre kinda of screwed, but I really cant see much coming from it given that essentially theyre targeting such a broad area. The legal document mentioned many cases which the owners themselves promoted pirating Biggest I saw was the attempt to 1:1 copy youtubes video archive.

The thing is, essentially megaupload has very few physical business assets. Almost everything was rented, other payment platforms were used, etc. So all they really owned that was of substantial value was digital domain names, links, the software platform they used to run it. Besides the particular incidents noted in the document, which can easily be avoided, there isnt really much they can say.

Question really is, whats the minimum amount of effort towards fighting piracy these kind of businesses can get away with? You can programmatically analyse music/videos and potentially software, but most of it can be masked and even if its taken down, its re-uploaded. If this type of business shows reasonable effort to combat it, you cant directly prosecute them without attacking the foundations of file hosting.

ace71

Ninja Pig
Jan 15, 2009
Now there many new ones. But based in HONG KONG. US resident will not be able to view, download. The blocking of US IP ADDRESS.

z1p2h3ll

Nov 17, 2010
In my humble opinion, there are steep prices for what American had done to Megaupload:

1. Many file hosting site will block US IP Address.

That means, All Americans, must buy the service from other countries, they will have to pay extra cashes and walk extra miles [transportation, accomodation, other countries' internet usage fees, etc] just to receive sharing facility.

2. Many File Hosting companies will placed their servers in other countries.

That means, more money invested in other countries, lesser and lesser money for stupid American government. Cash Flow in other countries = Americans' Empty Pockets

3. American movie can only be sold and enjoyed in their own jurisdiction.

Nobody wants to talk about American Movie and share the screenshot pics on their blog,
Nobody wants to talk about American Music and share the sample song on their blog,
Nobody wants to talk about American Novel and share a fascinating dialog on their blog,
Because in America: Share = Jail!

I like to see what happen next when all other countries ban all American products from any sight because they don't want to risk their own freedom.:pandalaugh:

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
Now there many new ones. But based in HONG KONG. US resident will not be able to view, download. The blocking of US IP ADDRESS.

can you share the name of the new hosts with us, non-americans freedom haters :tehheh:

LawRayLiet

LowRayLight
Aug 4, 2011
Megaupload was always great for downloading anime because they kept the links around forever.
I was never able to get into using torrents, all of the less popular or old content, be it anime or else media, always seem to have only one or two seeders.
All of the premium torrent sites require you give back or seed.
I didn't have to worry about such things with MU.
I've downloaded a ton from MU and have never ran into a cap on my downloads.

I'll be missing you MU...