Many torrents stuck at 99%

mojo

Feb 11, 2007
I've noticed that a lot of torrents are getting stuck at 99%, even though they claim to have seeders. It looks like anti-torrent companies are deliberately seeding files to 99%, often with the missing 1% being the critical part of the video file needed to play it or to get sound.

Anyone else noticing this?

Reactions: 1 person

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
First: That doesn't have anything to do with the forum (means the forum software or organization of the forum). So it's the wrong sub-forum.

And second: I don't think so. It's more the egoism of some lechers. The moment they have 100% of the file they take the file offline instead of seeding it. And the few ones who are seeding loose motivation because they get the impression that they are the only ones who are seeding. That's the problem. I don't think that it helps much to blame some companies for that. It's the community, not them.

mojo

Feb 11, 2007
Apologies for posting in the wrong section. It's more than just seeders not seeing though. There are multiple seeders, just none of them really have the last 1%.

It's too suspicious. Previously you had torrents with thousands of fake seeders on. Now they have given up doing that and instead just have a few. It's always the vital 1% you need to play the file properly too, not just a random glitch in the middle somewhere.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I don't know about all of that. I wouldn't read too much into it at all. I have been downloading torrents for awhile now myself and usually those stuck at 99% are due to old or badly shared torrents (repost torrents you like, it keeps them healthy). Then you have a bunch of people waiting for someone to share that last 1% because the intial seeder either couldn't afford a seedbox or doesn't go through his torrents and reseed on occasion. Another thing about seeders, sometimes when I am not downloading I seed a bunch of torrents but I don't choose who I upload to and who I do not, my torrent client (utorrent) does. So it may honor requests on some seeds and ignore requests on others, I couldn't tell you why. Usually 99% is perfectly fine to view a video, ( I have viewed a videos with only occasional static at 70% before), and I am sure it is frustrating when that last percent prohibits you enjoying the vid. Try VLC, if you are not using it already, it can sometimes fill in the gaps other players need to play a broken video properly.

A note on "antis": there are none. What we have is a bunch of money hungry bastards who don't like people sharing for free and them not getting any money out of it. They don't want to stop you from downloading torrents, they want you to pay them for what you are downloading. Almost all anti-piracy firms are money orientated in one form or another. If no one is trying to get money of you, it might be a hacker but it isn't an anti-piracy firm. They might go after torrent sites, as long as someone is paying them to, but they likely are not going to try to stop you from downloading a torrent. There is just no money in it for them.

Gir633

Señor Member
Oct 28, 2008
Another reason for this is that a lot of torrents have a ton of crap files (hyperlinks, site pictures, and the like) along with the video, and down loaders skip these and then when they switch over to seed they only have 99%. So when full 100% seeders drop off that's what is left. Sometimes it's OK, other times the last piece of the video file is shared with one of those files and it screws things up. This is why some of the privet tracker sites only allow the video file in the torrent.

Reactions: 2 people

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
well siad, I should have but I didn't. Nicely said and very true.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
Another reason for this is that a lot of torrents have a ton of crap files (hyperlinks, site pictures, and the like) along with the video, and down loaders skip these and then when they switch over to seed they only have 99%. So when full 100% seeders drop off that's what is left. Sometimes it's OK, other times the last piece of the video file is shared with one of those files and it screws things up. This is why some of the privet tracker sites only allow the video file in the torrent.

I agree, that is what I found with 99%, for me the biggest problem was those at 90%+ usually 96/97%
For all those that get to 99% check first to see if you can play it, and if it does play, what would be really helpful, if you can go to the thread, and state it is fine at 99% and less

but the main reason for my response,

we do not have any control over the torrents, and mainly no control over seeders

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
we do not have any control over the torrents, and mainly no control over seeders

No one does who has not downloaded the whole torrent. This would seem to be the wrong section for this thread.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
This would seem to be the wrong section for this thread.

yes I agree, but there is not a cross platform for this type of post