Look what I got! :D

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Look at the attachments first. Then you can read this post. :bow-pray:

I've wanted one of these ever since I first saw one about 2½ years ago. I thought, "Every hentai enthusiast has got to have one of these!" And now I finally have my own.

:sleeping:​
And yes, this makes reading hentai SO much better!
  1. Because the entire page can occupy ~the entire screen space w/o any image cropping, I can instantaneously glance from cel to cel -- NO MOUSE, NO KEYBOARD NECESSARY! -- and the characters are all legible now without any need for magnifying the page to try and identify what an unfamiliar and scrunched-up kanji is.
  2. The monitor tilts at just the right angle to make it feel like I'm reading a super-sized doujin that is resting on a musical stand (i.e. the place where instrumentalists place their sheet music). It's the perfect viewing angle while standing up.
I am so, so happy with this purchase. The honeymoon might not last forever -- I did only just get the monitor 6 hours ago ^^; -- but so far I'm lovin' it! :D

I highly recommend fellow fans of H-manga (doujinshi, magazines, tankoubons) to invest in a portrait-orientation-swiveling monitor!

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
Grrrrrr

I recently bought a 22" monitor, but because of the basic stand it doesn't rotate for vertical viewing, which is very annoying!!

:crash:

I'm gonna have to buy a new VESA mount so I can rotate, because at the moment I have about 60% wasted space when viewing vertical images...

Happy for you though!

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
just like the old apple monitors where documents could be handled vertical full size.

For me more busy with animations 16:9 horizontal is the better chioce, for Sakun as a manga lover that format truly is better, but although most of my screen is wasted when looking mangas the size on a 37´´flatscreen still is big enough.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Very nice. I actually got this VESA arm for my LCD last year when I found it on sale:
45-179-195.jpg

The excitement of being able to rotate the screen and adjust the angle wears off after a little while, but I've gotten so used to it that I can't imagine myself going back.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I have a question for you then, guy: maybe you can help me? :(

I uninstalled Samsung's MagicTune and MagicRotation software because it was interfering with my ATI VisionTek X1550 graphics card. My ATI card is capable of rotating angles on its own just fine; and I don't think my monitor came with any built-in accelerometers anyway so it's not like I'm missing out on AutoRotation. I just hit an ATI-determined hotkey on the keyboard to rotate the screen and then I physically rotate it as well.

Here is my question: is there any risk of damage to either my graphics card or my monitor if I switch the rotation a lot? For now, let's define a lot to be like this realistic scenario:
  1. I wake up and turn on the machine. It's in 1440 x 900 (widescreen) mode because I had shut it down after watching a widescreen J-drama before bed.
  2. I tell ATI, "Switch the resolution to 900 x 1440! :D" And it does. I then rotate my monitor to the vertical position. I read several H-magazines and then shut down the computer to go to school.
  3. I come back from school, turn it on, and the resolution is still at 900 x 1440. But I feel like watching anime, not reading more hentai, so I tell the ATI card to rotate once again. And it does, taking me to 1440 x 900 (widescreen). And I then rotate the monitor physically to the horizontal position.
  4. Later that night, I decide I want to read some hentai. Rotate back to 900 x 1440 ...
  5. And then I decide I want to watch J-drama before going to bed. Rotate back to 1440 x 900.

I performed, in that realistic scenario, 4 rotations in one day. My question is, is that safe or is that harmful for my GPU? and is it safe or is it harmful for my monitor? Keep in mind, I'm asking if it's safe given that I would be doing this 365 days a year for the next 2-3 years before replacing the graphics card.

Sorry if this sounds like a retarded question, but a computer engineer I am not. :bow-pray:

RickyDicky

Dec 27, 2007
Did I miss it? What kind of monitor is it? I have been shopping a 22" HP (HP2207h.) Have seen it for as low as $220 USD. It is one of the few that swivels (reason I like it the most) and has software that allows you to do it automatically. Does any one have one?

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
The software instruction manual got my hopes up suggesting that it supported AutoRotation, but it turns out that this is not one of the models that does. But that's fine by me: my friends all think of me as "the keyboard shortcuts guy" because I'll always use keyboard shortcuts whenever I can in place of mouse clicking around in the GUI, so for me it's not all that big a difference between:
(1) auto-rotation, and
(2) rotation followed by pressing three keys on the keyboard :)

My model is a Samsung SyncMaster 943BWX. I read recently that the model was discontinued and I don't see any mention of it on Samsung's website except for a barebones product page that every one of their monitors has, so *shrug*. All I'll say is, for $130 at 19", I'm pleased. I originally bought this to be a widescreen monitor for my Linux box that I'm building one step at a time, but on arrival I became so enamored with the vertical orientation that I think it'll become my main PC's monitor and my old monitor will become the Linux box's.

The only concern I have for the future is a few people who have said that their monitors died on them after 4 months. They said, "I loved this monitor too! But then it died on me. D:" So check back with me in a couple of months and we'll see how the love affair's holding up. The good news is, Samsung has a 3-year warranty and those same people who complained of monitor woes all said that Samsung was very cooperative at replacing their monitors free of charge.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Damage to your graphics card? No, rotation is just a software thing so you can't harm it physically (unless you're yanking on the video cable every time you rotate). But remember that there might be some side effects, such as VLC or MPC not being able to play videos correctly in portrait mode, or certain apps have trouble displaying, because 900x1440 is technically a non-standard resolution.

On the other hand, damage to your monitor is certainly possible, but not to the LCD itself, rather the stand and the rotating mechanism. But it isn'y very likely since the display is pretty light and doesn't cause too much stress to the stand, and they're designed to be rotated after all.

Still, some stands aren't really easy to rotate (on some monitors, you need to use both hands to lift the monitor first then rotate, which might be tricky since the stand isn't attached to the desk), so after a while you might actually find it annoying. Luckily you can always buy a VESA mount like this one which lets you move/rotate it with just one finger.

Amerikajinmusume

ヽ(´ー`)人(´ω`)ノ
Jun 25, 2008
Whoops sorry, I missed that post. D= That's cool that you're building a Linux box BTW, what flavor? Before getting into FPS games I used to run Slackware with Blackbox.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
...My model is a Samsung SyncMaster 943BWX....

After doing a serch for that model, I came accross this. Now I might have to buy it.

It's 24" widescreen which is enough for me and it looks like you can adjust the dislpay position's height, pivot (rotation), swivel, tilt. Fully HD, Contrast: 20000:1 (dynamic), slim design...

Trouble is it seems to be selling pretty fast. But it's the pricee that seems to make it great value. I've found it for under £200!

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Considering I paid $130 (£180) for my 19", yeah, I'd say that getting a 24" for only £20 more is a fantastic deal. I was not able to find it though. Amazon is sold out, and I don't know if it even came up on TigerDirect. NewEgg also says that they either don't have the item in stock or that it's been discontinued (one or the other). Seems hard to find. I also didn't see any hint for the price you just mentioned. Amazon seems to suggest that this would normally go for around $400 which is over three times the cost of a $130 monitor.

If you can find it for $180 (£200), awesome for you. :D I'm rooting for you!! Best of luck! :)