Lack of HD titles as of late

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

needs more loli

Don't underestimate lolis!
Apr 30, 2015
The reason is that most of those HD releases you find on other sites originate from Yipman. Unfortunately his last post was on Jun 20, 2015 and hes gone dark ever since.

On the plus side my hard drive isn't filling up as fast :swt:

evilwelshman

Feb 9, 2014
Just speculation here but if it's from the production side, it could possibly be due to makeup. Specifically, standard makeup looks bad on HD due to the increase in resolution picking up extra details, making it look caked up. Meanwhile, "HD makeup" requires different techniques and products.

Reactions: Casshern2

needs more loli

Apr 30, 2015
The answer is DRM.

JAV is distributed using several methods: DVD, BluRay, download, and streaming all protected by some form of DRM. In order to get those movies to people like us for free the DRM must first be dealt with, there are 2 ways: DVR it or remove the DRM from the original file.

The DVR method involves that you screen record the movie as it plays in real-time therefore taking a very long time (the duration of the movie) and encode (lossy) to an output file. The higher quality you output to the more computer resources are needed. But the best thing about this method is that this works with all formats, DVD, BluRay, download, streaming, etcc. DRM or not, as long as it can be displayed on your computer screen it can be recorded.

The other method is to remove the DRM from the original file. This is the ideal way because it produces a lossless output and the process is very fast.

Removing DRM from physical copies (DVDs and BluRays) is easy. The specifications are standardized to be compatible with DVD/BluRay players (read: not proprietary) so once you figure out how to crack one you can crack them all. People figured out how to crack this a long time ago and so if someone has a physical copy, decrypting the movie is quite easy.

But nowadays JAV is primarily distributed through downloads and streaming. In order to crack the DRM on a downloaded file it requires you to connect a server and/or use a proprietary media player so its a bit tougher. But as with all DRM, time is the answer and eventually people figured it out. This is why even though HD has been available for a long time HD rips have only became available relatively recently. Yipman and others operated in this way, decrypting HD video downloads from DMM then distributing them DRM free to the public. But there has been some DRM implementation changes recently (about a month or two ago), putting people like Yipman at full halt until it is cracked once again.

In effect we been thrown back into the stone-age, before DMM’s DRM was cracked, leaving left only the low quality DVR rips and the occasional high-quality DVD/BluRay rips.

Well there you go. Hope that explains it.

stalker9076

Mar 8, 2015
Exactly, that took place exactly on 01/07/2015.
From that point on, DRM removal from DMM is no longer possible with the previous method.
However, I'm not sure is that the case for other sources like Sokmil, etc.

Reactions: Casshern2

Zen10101

Aug 20, 2008
Just speculation here but if it's from the production side, it could possibly be due to makeup.

For the most part it's still ok. However low lighting+extreme closeups can bring out the worst even from Mayu Nozomi.vlcsnap-2015-07-19-12h53m28s168.png
This was the very first scene and nearly threw me off. Thankfully the rest of IPZ-170 isn't half as bad for the most part.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
For the most part it's still ok. However low lighting+extreme closeups can bring out the worst even from Mayu Nozomi.View attachment 451745
This was the very first scene and nearly threw me off. Thankfully the rest of IPZ-170 isn't half as bad for the most part.
I guess it's not only the lighting & extreme close-up. The skin reacts on stress and so on. While the skin of some people doesn't react that much it does for others. Means if they had shot that movie maybe 2 days earlier or 2 days later she maybe would have looked different.

Gitarooman

Apr 25, 2008
I thought they would have to re encode stuffs since all the newer HD release are now mkv. If they have to go screen capture DVR method from now on.... hope they can start using H.265 compression to further reduce the size.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Seems there aren't only not many HD titles now, but also a lot with very big watermarks. And SD + big watermarks = not much pleasure watching it. :(
And as far as I can tell Chinese (or at least Chinese speaking) groups are the one with low quality and big watermarks.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
We leechers have NO right to whinge...
Yes, I totally agree. But still it's a fact that the number of HD releases is going back and the quality of SD releases is also going from bad to worse thanks to watermarks and other modifications.

needs more loli

Apr 30, 2015
Nice, but premium only :sight:
Well at least we know there's still HD stuff floating out there somewhere