Keanu Reeves as Spike Spiegel and Will Smith in Hollywood Oldboy remake

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

ane-san

snow queen
Sep 25, 2008
I don`t know if you`ve heard any of these, I guess some of you have, to me it`s more of a shock than good news. So here are articles about it:

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/01/16/keanu-reeves-confirmed-for-cowboy-bebop/

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/06/25/the-latest-on-live-action-cowboy-bebop-and-robotech-movies/

keanu_spiegel.jpg

It was just last week that anime fans the world over breathed a sigh of relief that Leonardo DiCaprio's live-action Akira was no more. But, that doesn't mean Hollywood has lost its taste for anime, and there are still plenty of other reboots headed our way. So while most of them have stayed in development limbo, two of the more popular titles: Cowboy Bebop and Robotech have started to make new ground, and some of the people involved are starting to talk.

Cowboy Bebop:
When the live action film of the beloved anime was first announced, fans were not thrilled with the idea. Plus, it probably didn't help that Keanu Reeves was taking the role of Spike. But, maybe we shouldn't count out the film yet, because when it comes to the film's screenwriter, there is good news and some bad news. But, let's start with the good news. In an interview with Anime Vice, Craig was asked about whether or not he was familiar with the series, and to his credit, Craig went into full fan-boy mode, telling them about some of his favorite episodes and that both he and Reeves have been meeting with Sunrise studio (the creator of the anime) to make sure that the original 'feel' of the show remains intact. According to Craig, "they [Sunrise] were very specific about their vision for the series, and how it might convert to a live-action film." -- sounds promising, right? Well, the bad news is that Craig has zero experience with sci-fi, and made his name writing about con-men and dysfunctional families. But, I'm going to remain hopeful that with Sunrise watching over the flick, there might be a chance we get something a little better than expected.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/11/06/steven-spielberg-and-will-smith-to-remake-oldboy/

oldboyspielberg.jpg

Steven Spielberg and Will Smith are in talks to collaborate on a remake of Chan Wook-Park’s Oldboy. Spielberg has been looking for an opportunity to work with Smith for a few years now, and this just might be the project. DreamWorks is in the process of securing the remake rights, and Spielberg is on the search for a screenwriter to develop the project. The project was originally set up with Fast and Furious director Justin Lin.

In the 2003 South Korean film, a man named Dae-Su is locked in a hotel room for 15 years without knowing why or who is holding him captive. He is suddenly released, given money, clothes and a cellphone and is sent on journey for revenge. The film won the Grand Prix at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival and was highly praised by Jury President Quentin Tarantino. Roger Ebert called Oldboy a “powerful film not because of what it depicts, but because of the depths of the human heart which it strips bare” … “We are so accustomed to ‘thrillers’ that exist only as machines for creating diversion that it’s a shock to find a movie in which the action, however violent, makes a statement and has a purpose.”
Praised for it’s intense visuals and twisted story, Oldboy was met with positive reviews in the States, and is currently getting an 82% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and an 8.3 user rating on IMDB, for a #117 placement on the top 250 films of all time. The film is also the subject to some controversy for having a strong similarities to Zinda, a Bollywood film directed by Sanjay Gupta.

While Will Smith is not in the list of actors I would like to see star in American-language remake, I can see why Spielberg might want him for this film. I feel that the originally film is as good as it is because of the intense cinematography, and Speilberg also wouldn’t be on my list of American directors to helm such a remake. Maybe Aronofsky, Fincher or Chris Nolan. But for the record, neither would Justin Lin (that guy has done nothing but disappoint me, since he made a name for himself with Better Luck Tomorrow). That said, this is a much more interesting project than The Trial of the Chicago 7.

And before everyone starts leaving angry comments about how this film shouldn’t be produced… know this:

Hollywood is going to remake Oldboy NO MATTER WHAT.

newsn

Nov 1, 2007
NoOoOoOoOoOo!!! :petrfied::defeat::murder::death: This is by far some of the worst news I've heard in awhile. I'd rather see the live action films never made if this is how they plan to cast.

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
Heh.. That's not the worst news yet.. Hollywood producers plan to make a live-action Evangelion trilogy with a cast of European descent! They even plan to change the name of the protagonists [NOT FINAL - "Kate Rose" (in lieu of Asuka Langley), "Ray" (Rei Ayanami), and "Susan Whitnall" (assumed by some to be Misato Katsuragi)]. Go to the Eva wiki page for more details. Only one person voiced out that the cast should be consist predominantly of Asians. I sure hope they stick to a mostly Asian cast.

newsn

Nov 1, 2007
Someone needs to start raging and protest lol.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
I think Keanu Reeves could play as Spike Spiegel. I am not going to knock a movie because of a actor,unless its Jane Fonda.

As for Will Smith playing in Old Boy, I don't know. I never seen Old Boy but judging by the the plot it sounds like the protagonist might be a very violent and severely pissed off person. I do not know if Will Smith can play such a character convincingly. I think Ray Stevenson(punisher war zone) or some other actor could pull off that role real easy.

One movie I am looking forward to is Battle Angel Alita, James Cameron is supposed to be directing and producing the movie.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
NoOoOoOoOoOo!!! :petrfied::defeat::murder::death: This is by far some of the worst news I've heard in awhile. I'd rather see the live action films never made if this is how they plan to cast.

After watching the live action drama and movie of GTO, live action movie of Higurashi No Naku Koro ni. I would have to say the Japanese film makers are just as guilty as Americans are of changing characters or a crappy job of casting actors.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
After watching the live action drama and movie of GTO, live action movie of Higurashi No Naku Koro ni. I would have to say the Japanese film makers are just as guilty as Americans are of changing characters or a crappy job of casting actors.

Maybe, but do they change the stories as much as the americans like to do, to "adapt" them in occidental tastes ...

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I didn't care much for the live-action GTO either (and I hated the movie), but apparently Japan loved it. Ditto for HERO: it remains the most-viewed J-drama of all time iirc, but I thought it was rather boring compared with our (American) legal dramas.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
Heh.. That's not the worst news yet.. Hollywood producers plan to make a live-action Evangelion trilogy with a cast of European descent! They even plan to change the name of the protagonists [NOT FINAL - "Kate Rose" (in lieu of Asuka Langley), "Ray" (Rei Ayanami), and "Susan Whitnall" (assumed by some to be Misato Katsuragi)]. Go to the Eva wiki page for more details. Only one person voiced out that the cast should be consist predominantly of Asians. I sure hope they stick to a mostly Asian cast.

This has actually made me pretty angry. Do you have a source for this information so I can know the truth of it please?

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
This has actually made me pretty angry. Do you have a source for this information so I can know the truth of it please?

Other than trying to make it have a wider appeal, One of the other reasons I can think of for them changing the names is if they are make the movie take place entirely in the USA instead of Japan.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
Other than trying to make it have a wider appeal, One of the other reasons I can think of for them changing the names is if they are make the movie take place entirely in the USA instead of Japan.

Please stop now

:angrygirl:

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
That an actor or director is a big fan of the source material is never convincing evidence to me that a film adaptation of a video game, comic book, or television series is going to be good.

Why? Well, I can sum it up for you in just one word: fanfics.

newsn

Nov 1, 2007
Did anyone else see the preview for the live action Blood the last vampire film? I guess it comes out this Friday, I doubt I'm not the only one who thinks this will be full of fail.

newsn

Nov 1, 2007
I want to see Will Smith eat a live octopus!

I think you and me both know Will doesn't have the balls to down one of those, here comes the CG :XD:.

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
http://www.411mania.com/movies/colu...ew-with-Richard-Taylor-and-Martin-Baynton.htm
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2008/anime-expo/adv-films
http://supanova.joffrestreetproductions.com/2006/08/17/richard-taylor-podcast-2/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_franchise

It's pretty much a done deal but the real question is: will it be a success? or will it fail so hard that otaku and anime lovers alike will cry buckets of tears (caused by mixed emotions of anger and disappointment combined) when they watch it? The project was announced 2003 though it still a mystery when they'll reveal any previews/promotional ads.

Release date is still not final. It's pretty etchy. Sources say it can be as early as 2009 or it can take as long as 2015. They plan to make it a trilogy, which is somewhat of a relief. We all know what can happen when they compress the story in one full swing of an hour long (or more) movie. Frankly, I think they shouldn't even try making a live-action movie out of Eva. It would take a lot of funding to make it a success. So either they take a big risk by raising an insanely huge amount of money for production or they should just back off from our dear Evangelion. I'll be pissed if they make a Western adaptation of the story!

Did anyone else see the preview for the live action Blood the last vampire film? I guess it comes out this Friday, I doubt I'm not the only one who thinks this will be full of fail.

It sucked.. Having a Western play an important role in the movie was a wrong move (no offense to Westerns). The focus of the movie was somehow divided between Alice and Saya. And then there's the cheesy special effects and Chiropterans who look smaller than how they were portrayed in the anime. Maybe the movie was underfunded? Who knows? It's still a must see for Gianna Jun if you were charmed by her after you watched "My Sassy Girl" and "Windstruck" (an obvious fan here lol). The rest of the cast had some awkward acting. Gianna still had an accent when she speaks English but Koyuki nailed it almost perfectly.