Keanu Reeves as Spike Spiegel and Will Smith in Hollywood Oldboy remake

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

newsn

Nov 1, 2007
http://www.411mania.com/movies/colu...ew-with-Richard-Taylor-and-Martin-Baynton.htm
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2008/anime-expo/adv-films
http://supanova.joffrestreetproductions.com/2006/08/17/richard-taylor-podcast-2/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_franchise

It's pretty much a done deal but the real question is: will it be a success? or will it fail so hard that otaku and anime lovers alike will cry buckets of tears (caused by mixed emotions of anger and disappointment combined) when they watch it? The project was announced 2003 though it still a mystery when they'll reveal any previews/promotional ads.

Release date is still not final. It's pretty etchy. Sources say it can be as early as 2009 or it can take as long as 2015. They plan to make it a trilogy, which is somewhat of a relief. We all know what can happen when they compress the story in one full swing of an hour long (or more) movie. Frankly, I think they shouldn't even try making a live-action movie out of Eva. It would take a lot of funding to make it a success. So either they take a big risk by raising an insanely huge amount of money for production or they should just back off from our dear Evangelion. I'll be pissed if they make a Western adaptation of the story!

It sucked.. Having a Western play an important role in the movie was a wrong move (no offense to Westerns). The focus of the movie was somehow divided between Alice and Saya. And then there's the cheesy special effects and Chiropterans who look smaller than how they were portrayed in the anime. Maybe the movie was underfunded? Who knows? It's still a must see for Gianna Jun if you were charmed by her after you watched "My Sassy Girl" and "Windstruck" (an obvious fan here lol). The rest of the cast had some awkward acting. Gianna still had an accent when she speaks English but Koyuki nailed it almost perfectly.

Thanks for the heads up on Blood the last vampire. Maybe this weekend if I have nothing better to do I'll drop by the theater and watch it.

ane-san

snow queen
Sep 25, 2008
That an actor or director is a big fan of the source material is never convincing evidence to me that a film adaptation of a video game, comic book, or television series is going to be good.

Why? Well, I can sum it up for you in just one word: fanfics.

I agree with you.
I must say that even "third-rated" fanvideos make me want to send those to world known script makers just to show them how real fans make it :perfectplan:
http://vimeo.com/2740962:inlove2:
maybe it`s not hollywood material but I`d rather watch sth like this for hour and half than some actors who dont know their role unless it`s for big amount of $$

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
Please stop now

:angrygirl:

I could be wrong they could just change the names and keep the location the same. Just like when they made the American version of the Ju-On,which was still pretty good.I didn't think it made any sense in keeping the location if they were going to rename the main characters and replace them with mostly Americans. Hopefully Shenji character isn't a little bitch like in the anime.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Just to make sure we're on the same page ... I wasn't trying to suggest that fanfics are better than Hollywood's films. I was pointing out that fanfics, 99.9% of which are abysmally awful, tell us that fandom does not make somebody qualified to write, act in, or otherwise produce a film adaptation of a book, video game, comic, etc. Being a fan begins and ends with itself: being a fan. If I'm a fan of Go, it doesn't make me skilled at it. If I'm a fan of Beethoven, it doesn't mean I can perform his pieces, much less compose some of my own which rival his. If I'm a fan of Cowboy Bebop, it doesn't mean I can write a script for a 2nd Bebop OAV so well that I'd have the fans busting down my door just to get my autograph.

Your reply left it unclear to me if you understood that. Maybe you did? Probably you did. But just in case ...

I'm not a fan of fanfics, and would be just as unenthusiastic about learning that some fanfic writer's Cowboy Bebop fic was being turned into a movie as I am about learning that Keanu Reeves is a self-professed huge Bebop fan.

Reeves may 100% not be lying and be a huge Bebop fan, but he's still a terrible pick for Spike Spiegel.

Let me put it to you another way: say James Earl Jones was verifiably the world's #1 fan of Cowboy Bebop. Would it make sense to cast him as Edward? An elderly, deep-voiced black man playing a spunky, limber, androgynous child? It wouldn't work, no matter how big a fan good ol' James Earl Jones might be.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
Reeves may 100% not be lying and be a huge Bebop fan, but he's still a terrible pick for Spike Spiegel.

I think he comes close to looking like Spike Spiegel. If you slap on Spike suit on Reeves,had him grow his hair out a little more and as long as they do not do any of the slow motion crap like they did in the Matrix movies it could work out really.
Let me put it to you another way: say James Earl Jones was verifiably the world's #1 fan of Cowboy Bebop. Would it make sense to cast him as Edward? An elderly, deep-voiced black man playing a spunky, limber, androgynous child? It wouldn't work, no matter how big a fan good ol' James Earl Jones might be.

I agree that notion.Sometimes it does work out if they do not exactly cast the right actor. Sometimes it does for example Michael Clarke Duncan played the Kingpin the Dare Devil movie and the King Pin has always with a huge fat white guy in the Dare Devil and Spiderman comics and he did a good job portraying the Kingpin. D.B Sweeny played Terry Fitzgerald in the Spawn movie and Terry is a black guy in the Spawn comics. Although I didn't like Topher Grace playing Eddie Brock/Venom, because Topher was too skinny to play such a character. Eddie Brock is supposed to be a duff athletic jock. They also screwed up venom too, because venom can change shape and color like the T-1000 does in the Terminator franchise.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
It's not about the physical look. It's about the personality. When I think "Spike Spiegel," I think:
- decently intelligent
- smug roguish charm
- a good hand-to-hand combat fighter
- witty

Reeves' stoner-punk characters in all his movies (even the one where he was allegedly a cold fusion nuclear researcher -_-; ) have left me with the impression, whether it's fair or not, that the man is dumb dumb dumb. The Matrix films have left me with the impression that Reeves is anything but witty as his delivery of the Wachowski's (arguably) witty lines written for Neo's character were completely deadpan. And as for physical combat skills, sure enough, they can always use a stunt double, but it doesn't change the fact that when I see Keanu Reeves I don't think "strong man," whereas when I see Bruce Willis or Al Pacino, I do, and when I see Bruce Lee I definitely do. Spike may not have been no Bruce Lee, lol, but I always figured he was at least like a slimmer, taller version of Bruce Willis when it came to muscle.

*shrug*

It could be worse: they could have cast Angelina Jolie as Faye Valentine.