JavLuv JAV Browser

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

TmpGuy

JavLuv author, lesbian connoisseur
Jun 1, 2013
JavLuv now has a rename / move function. This is an experimental feature, so I would advise you use it with caution. I have tested it extensively, and believe it to be safe, but I would highly advise you to test it first on a few copies of your movies to ensure it works as you wish.

There is a default set of rename / move rules you can use if you hit the "Restore Default" button in settings. You may wish to start with that and change it to something more to your liking after experimenting with it.

For those who prefer the simplicity of keeping all your movies in a single folder (I try not to judge), simply leave the "Folder" field blank, and JavLuv will move or rename your files while keeping them in one folder, instead of one folder per movie.

Moving / Renaming
JavLuv has an automatic renaming feature. It can move and rename folders and files according to a set of rules. Metadata can be used to generate paths for filenames. They are surrounded by curly brackets and a keyword, sometimes with additional parameters.

Metadata identifiers:
* {DVD-ID} - The unique ID of the movie, often in a form ABC-123 or similar.
* {TITLE #} - Title of the movie, followed by a number that indicates how many characters are allowed. Folder concatenation attempts to break on the nearest word, and indicates this with an elipse.
* {ACTRESS #} - Name of actress(es) in title, with optional maximum number of actresses to list (default is 1).
* {STUDIO} - Name of the studio
* {YEAR} - Year movie was released
* {USER_RATING #-#="Folder1" #-#="Folder2"} - Allows substitution of multiple folder names according to the user rating (a value between 0 and 10).
* {SEQUENCE "-" ALPHA/ALPHA_LOWER/NUMBER} - Creates a consacutive set of trailing identifiers depending on the last identifier. ALPHA creates uppercase letters (A, B, C), ALPHA_LOWER creates lowercase letters (a, b, c), and NUMBER creates a sequence of numbers (1, 2, 3). If you do not supply a sequence when required, a default sequence of -ALPHA will be used.

Metadata identifiers and other path for filename data can be used in various fields used for different purposes.

Fields:
* Library Folder - Identifies the folder containing your JAV library. Metadata cannot be used in this field.
* Folder - Defines the folder used to contain all files associated with a single movie. If this field is blank, all files are stored in a single folder.
* Movie - Defines the filename used for movies. Because multiple filenames of this type may be present, this field must end with a SEQUENCE.
* Cover - Defines the filename used for cover imagas.
* Preview - Defines the filename used for preview (thumbnail) images. Because multiple filenames of this type may be present, this field must end with a SEQUENCE.
* Metadata - Defines the filename used for metadata (generated .nfo file).

The Folder field can define any terms that expand to a legal path. For instance, it can be as simple as the name of a folder, although that wouldn't be all that useful. It becomes more useful when combined with unique metadata. For example, the following folder field:

{USER_RATING 9-10="Favorites" 1-8="Library" 0="New"}\{ACTRESS}\{STUDIO}\{YEAR}\[{DVD-ID}] {TITLE 80}

will, given a movie with a user rating of 9, starring Sakura Sakuraba, a studio name of Example Studio, a release year of 2020, a DVD-ID of ABC-123, and a title of "Example Movie" will be moved or renamed as follows:

Favorites\Sakura Sakuraba\Example Studio\2020\[ABC-123] Example Movie\

Performing Move / Rename:
There are two ways to move / rename your movies. If you check the Move / Rename after scan option in the side panel, then this will be performed every time you scan a new movie. It will automatically be moved into your library folder and named according to your preferred rules.

Alternately, you can select any number of movies in the browser view (CTRL-A selects all files), right click, and select Move / Rename... from the context menu. It does no harm to attempt to move / rename files that have already had this operation performed on them. If nothing needs moving or renaming, nothing will occur.

Windows installer:
https://filejoker.net/br2xm9pplqs5/Setup_JavLuv.msi

Portable/zipped:
https://filejoker.net/l2sbmdcyqy2b/JavLuv.zip

Alternative download:
JavLuv.zip
Setup_JavLuv.msi

Last edited:

maload

Jul 1, 2008
i think i found error but in the end i think its my bad.

so it must have only 1 file in the folder ?
i check lots of folder and the folder that have 1 file have no error .

anyway thank you for keep updating.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 124

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
i think i found error but in the end i think its my bad.

so it must have only 1 file in the folder ?
i check lots of folder and the folder that have 1 file have no error .

anyway thank you for keep updating.
Hmm, it's supposed to be able to handle either case. I've tested a bunch of movies all in one directory, or each movie in it's own directory.

But it looks like there's some situation where it's getting confused, and causing that error. I'll try to reproduce this error this weekend and figure out a fix. Thanks for reporting it.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Added {ACTRESS} tag to move / rename feature.

I realized that at least a few people might like to sort their movies by actress. However, until today, I didn't really have a good idea of how to solve the issue of multiple actresses appearing in a single movie.

I've attempted to deal with this by allowing the user to specify the maximum number of actresses they wish to list, beyond which all movies are placed under a common folder. The default is 1, so if you specify {ACTRESS} in your path, any title with more than one actress goes into a folder named "(2 or more actresses)". If you specify a higher value like {ACTRESS 3}, you might see a folder like "Kotone Suzumiya, Miwako Yamamoto, & Reiko Kobayakawa". Naturally, picking a number too large seems somewhat impractical, so I'd advise against that. I'm expecting most people will stick to 1 or 2 max.

Finally, if a movie has no listed actresses, then these are placed under a folder named "(unknown actresses)".

Windows installer:
https://filejoker.net/opv43ty4bk8t/Setup_JavLuv.msi

Portable/zipped:
https://filejoker.net/vvhg2ogmoti0/JavLuv.zip

Alternative download:
JavLuv.zip
Setup_JavLuv.msi

maload

Jul 1, 2008
thank you so much .

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Fixed an issue where extra movies (like previews, excerpts, etc, defined by Movie Exclusions in Settings) were not being excluded by the move / rename feature. Added limits to number of actresses (4) and max length of title (200) for folders.

Windows installer:
https://filejoker.net/18kpdazmva51/Setup_JavLuv.msi

Portable/zipped:
https://filejoker.net/msxzgri4vnvn/JavLuv.zip

Alternative download:
JavLuv.zip
Setup_JavLuv.msi

Advanced JavLuv tip:
You can organize your library according to user ratings. One of the more complicated parameters for folder naming is USER_RATING. I added this feature mostly for my own use. I use the following Folder setting for splitting up my library according to how I rated a movie:

{USER_RATING 9-10="Favorites" 1-8="Library" 0="New"}\[{DVD-ID}] {TITLE 80}

This results in 4 1/2 to 5 star movies going into a "Favorites" folder, movies I haven't rated yet going into "New", and everything else going into "Library". I also append the DVD-ID surrounded by square brackets along with a concatenated title.

Did you know?
JavLuv takes great care to create a nice-looking title folder for you. If necessary, it attempts to cut the title length on a word boundary, appends an ellipse to let you know it's been shortened, and even preserves normally forbidden characters, such as double-quotes, question marks, and slashes. How does it do this? It substitutes Unicode lookalike equivalents for these characters, which Windows accepts as valid directory names.

Reactions: rumburack

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Any chance of there ever being a mac or linux version of this?
Not in the short term, at least. Maybe at some point I'll see if I can get it working in Wine, but I don't really have a lot of experience with that.

Reactions: zombierambo

Yorin2

Dec 1, 2019
Thank you for this! Played around with it a bit and I like it a lot. It is nice to effectively have an offline version of javlibrary.com for my collection only.

One thing that I wish JavLuv wouldn't do (or have an option not to do), is put the .jpg and .nfo files in the same folder as the video files. I would much prefer JavLuv to keep all the metadata it generates in a separate folder. I have painstakingly added cover art to all my movies and used tageditor to add most relevant metadata. This way when I open a movie folder in icon view I see the cover art and on mouse over (or in detailed list view) I see the metadata. After scanning with JavLuv the folder is now cluttered with the files that it generated. Before it was just the tidy movie files in a folder.

Attachments

• Before JavLuv 2.jpg
    Before JavLuv 2.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 78
  • Before JavLuv 1.jpg
    Before JavLuv 1.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Yorin2

Dec 1, 2019
Thanks for putting this tool out there for us to try out! I played around with it today and like it very much. It is like having an offline version of Javlibrary for just my collection of movies.

I however wish there was an option to have JavLuv store the .jpg and .nfo files that it generates, somewhere in a separate directory and not in the folder where the movie files are located.

I painstakingly added tags and coverart for all my movies with Tageditor and tweaked the Windows registry to show tags (like genre or year) on mouseover. So my movie directories are very clean, with just the movie MP4 files using a uniform naming system (in case the movie has subtitles I hide those files to maintain the clean look). If I open a folder with Explorer in large icon view it nicely shows the coverart for all the movies in that directory and when I switch to detailed view I can see the tags that I choose to display.

However after the JavLuv scan the number of files in the movie folder has tripled and the folder now looks cluttered. JavLuv is great, but I don't like what it has done to my movie folder.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Thanks for putting this tool out there for us to try out! I played around with it today and like it very much. It is like having an offline version of Javlibrary for just my collection of movies.

I however wish there was an option to have JavLuv store the .jpg and .nfo files that it generates, somewhere in a separate directory and not in the folder where the movie files are located.

I painstakingly added tags and coverart for all my movies with Tageditor and tweaked the Windows registry to show tags (like genre or year) on mouseover. So my movie directories are very clean, with just the movie MP4 files using a uniform naming system (in case the movie has subtitles I hide those files to maintain the clean look). If I open a folder with Explorer in large icon view it nicely shows the coverart for all the movies in that directory and when I switch to detailed view I can see the tags that I choose to display.

However after the JavLuv scan the number of files in the movie folder has tripled and the folder now looks cluttered. JavLuv is great, but I don't like what it has done to my movie folder.

That's an interesting idea. Would you prefer to choose a folder yourself, or perhaps store that data in a hidden folder where the other settings and cached data are located?

As a matter of fact, this sort of occurs already with the cache data. I store this information in a central repository (I describe where in a previous message in this thread), along with thumbnails of all the images, so that data can be very quickly loaded at startup and during browsing. There may be a way to make this data authoritative instead of just acting as a cache for improved performance.

No promise if or when I'd make a change like this, but I'll certainly give this some thought.

Another thought: Would you be interested in having JavLuv import / export tags using your movies as well instead of using scraped data?

Yorin2

Dec 1, 2019
That's an interesting idea. Would you prefer to choose a folder yourself, or perhaps store that data in a hidden folder where the other settings and cached data are located?

As a matter of fact, this sort of occurs already with the cache data. I store this information in a central repository (I describe where in a previous message in this thread), along with thumbnails of all the images, so that data can be very quickly loaded at startup and during browsing. There may be a way to make this data authoritative instead of just acting as a cache for improved performance.

No promise if or when I'd make a change like this, but I'll certainly give this some thought.

Another thought: Would you be interested in having JavLuv import / export tags using your movies as well instead of using scraped data?

For now I have hidden the .nfo and .jpg files manually after JavLuv finished scanning. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, since I do the same with subtitle files. As far as I have been able to test, hiding these files does not break any of the functionality of the program (update: updating metadata is not possible with hidden .nfo files) and my movie folder looks nice and tidy again. If you were to take up making this change, I think it would make most sense for JavLuv to store this data in the same folder as where the cached data is kept. As a user I see no reason to specify another folder myself.

As I was testing out the functionality yesterday I hit upon the exact thought that you mention. I would indeed be interested in having JavLuv scrape the tags from the local movie files and ideally merge them with what is scraped from online sources. Some of the genres that are displayed in JavLuv, I have manually maintained myself as tags and I typically add some custom ones as well (along with title, contributing artists, year, subtitle - yes/no and genre - the one genre that defines the movie as a whole best). Having this kind of functionality would be cool, but not having it doesn't stop me from enjoying JavLuv. It's nice to have.

One other thing I came across is mismatches due to a movie ID not being unique (mostly with ONED and MIDV). I noticed it first with CLB-001. Instead of a cover with the lovely Haruki Sato I was confronted with a dude in Speedo - imagine my surprise. Funnily enough the scraped metadata was not from the CLB-001 with the dude in Speedo or the Haruki Sato video, but from a third movie that also has the code CLB-001 (Tokyo Girls VOL.01). It would be nice if there was an elegant way to handle this from within JavLuv. Manually updating the tags and such is easy enough, but changing the cover photo isn't possible from within the tool. The only thing that worked for me was to manually copy the correct cover photo to the movie folder, clear the cache and re-scan (with overwrite deselected).

Notwithstanding, I am very impressed with the speed, functionality and ease-of-use of this little tool and will keep on using it as-is and will follow where you will take it from here. Thanks again for sharing it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shinto1337

Yorin2

Dec 1, 2019
I have a few more hours under my belt playing with JavLuv and I have made some further observations.

Some background on how I have organized my collection:
It is 800 movies in a few folders (across different drives) all named as "actress name - DVD-ID". In case of multiple actresses, I choose a maximum of the three most prominent or most well known to me and use them in the file title. In case there are more than three I add "& Others" to the file name (example: "Asuka Kirara, Kobayakawa Reiko, Hoshino Nami & Others - HODV-20951.mp4"). Everything I download gets re-encoded to MP4 so I can manually add the cover photo and metadata to the file in Explorer and with Tageditor. In the movie folders I keep only the movies, with subtitle files hidden. I typically keep the files sorted by name, but could sort on any of the maintained metadata in detailed view. In large icon view it looks like a Netflix page, but for my JAV only (just like JavLuv). I filter using the Windows search function (e.g. Genre = Solowork). With a large collection like this in Thumbnail view things do get a bit sluggish and this is where JavLuv comes in. It is a convenient alternative way to view the collection.

JavLuv initial set-up:
I let JavLuv do its initial thing and it generates all the metadata and thumbnails in about 10 minutes. I started from a well sorted collection and this resulted in a 100% hit rate. It generated coverart and metadata for 100% of my collection - also the old and obscure stuff. I was really impressed by this.

Clean-up after initial set-up:
Due to DVD-ID's not always being unique there were a handful of wrongly identified movies. I corrected the metadata in JavLuv by hand and copied the correct coverart to the movie folder. There were another handful of movies where JavLuv scraped low res coverart and I replaced that with a high res file. Getting the new coverart to show is tricky. What works is deleting the cache, exiting the program and re-scanning after opening Javluv again.

Managing the library:
The next step is finetuning the metadata. I spent hours doing this and can probably keep doing it until the end of time. Some examples. I made sure that actress naming was consistent (e.g. Shoko vs. Shouko) and deleted for instance the tag Hi-Def in case my movie file is not at least 720p. I still need to add this tag in case I do have at least a 720p version and the tag is not already there. I also changed titles in case the auto-translated Japanese is complete gibberish. I could go on and on.

Having invested this much time already in getting everything to my liking, did result in a crippling fear of accidentally regenerating metadata (re-scraping). The last thing I want is for JavLuv to overwrite my hard work. In the main screen I have "overwrite metadata" turned of. But I'm not sure what would happen if I "selected all" in the main screen and then would choose "regenerate metadata" after right-clicking. I suspect it would set off undoing all my hard work. There is also an option to "rescan files" after right clicking on the main page. I'm not sure what would happen if I clicked that. I should probably back-up all .nfo and .jpg files from my movie directories so I can sleep a little better and play around with JavLuv a bit more freely again. (edit: I backed up manually and did that not a moment too soon. Because not much later JavLuv insisted on re-downloading metadata for one of my movie folders overwriting 400+ files. I don't know what I did to trigger it, but it happened.)

Functionality that doesn't seem to work for me:
- "Show subtitles" selected on the main page results in an empty list, although I have subtitle files (unhidden) for many of my movies in the movie folders (named the same as the corresponding movie).
- Filtering from the options menu doesn't do anything. I am not sure if I misunderstand what it is supposed to do, or if the functionality is broken in the current version, or if I am using it wrong. I cannot seem to change any keywords (genre of actress) using the filtering functionality after the initial scan. Perhaps this functionality only works during the initial scan where it generates the metadata. Which I don't want to run anymore after changing so much metadata manually.

Some suggestions for further development:
- In case JavLuv does anything that will overwrite existing files (.nfo or .jpg) ask for confirmation first to avoid accidents. Perhaps it would be possible for JavLuv to keep track of those movies where the user made changes and ask for confirmation before overwriting anything.

- I'd like to be able to sort by Actress Name. Movies with multiple actresses could be handled in different ways. Either move these kind of movies to the end of the list or maybe use the first actress listed as the sorting criterium. For me sorting by actress name is the default way of looking at my library when I'm not in JavLuv.

- In case you have JAV organized in multiple directories, use the settings to maintain those folder locations. Then if you hit "Scan Movies" it goes through those folders automatically.

- Have an option to not scan any sub-directories in the folder location you choose to scan.

- Show the video resolution on the "movie details" page.

- Show the folder path on mouse over on the folder icon (left bottom) on the "movie details page"

- Tools for managing metadata. Things like "find and replace" would be great. Or something like "if - then rules" to maintain metadata. Let's say an actress has beautiful breasts and I want all movies with her in it to have this tag. Or if I want to tag any movie below 720p as Low-res (this would rely on video resolution maintained in JavLuv of course).

- Making a backup of the current JavLuv library. It could put all current .nfo and .jpg files in a zip file, from which the user could restore.

Last edited:

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I have a few more hours under my belt playing with JavLuv and I have made some further observations.

Some background on how I have organized my collection:
It is 800 movies in a few folders (across different drives) all named as "actress name - DVD-ID". In case of multiple actresses, I choose a maximum of the three most prominent or most well known to me and use them in the file title. In case there are more than three I add "& Others" to the file name (example: "Asuka Kirara, Kobayakawa Reiko, Hoshino Nami & Others - HODV-20951.mp4"). Everything I download gets re-encoded to MP4 so I can manually add the cover photo and metadata to the file in Explorer and with Tageditor. In the movie folders I keep only the movies, with subtitle files hidden. I typically keep the files sorted by name, but could sort on any of the maintained metadata in detailed view. In large icon view it looks like a Netflix page, but for my JAV only (just like JavLuv). I filter using the Windows search function (e.g. Genre = Solowork). With a large collection like this in Thumbnail view things do get a bit sluggish and this is where JavLuv comes in. It is a convenient alternative way to view the collection.

JavLuv initial set-up:
I let JavLuv do its initial thing and it generates all the metadata and thumbnails in about 10 minutes. I started from a well sorted collection and this resulted in a 100% hit rate. It generated coverart and metadata for 100% of my collection - also the old and obscure stuff. I was really impressed by this.

That's actually pretty lucky, or you have mostly newer movies. I have a number of older movies (including DVDs I encoded myself) that aren't available in any online database I've found. But the websites I scrape are pretty complete for newer movies, so credit really goes to them.

Clean-up after initial set-up:
Due to DVD-ID's not always being unique there were a handful of wrongly identified movies. I corrected the metadata in JavLuv by hand and copied the correct coverart to the movie folder. There were another handful of movies where JavLuv scraped low res coverart and I replaced that with a high res file. Getting the new coverart to show is tricky. What works is deleting the cache, exiting the program and re-scanning after opening Javluv again.

Yeah, this can be a little tricky due to JavLuv caching the cover art. I've been thinking that maybe it would be good to have functionality on the detail page to browse for and replace cover files. Like: "Import new cover art" menu if you right-click or something. This would be especially important if I add an option to store cover art in a somewhat hidden location.

I haven't figured out a good way to deal with DVD-ID collisions. That may be a long-term projects, as it will likely involve a substantial bit of reworking the web-scraping code. But for now, on those rare occasions, people can just manually edit the metadata.

Managing the library:
The next step is finetuning the metadata. I spent hours doing this and can probably keep doing it until the end of time. Some examples. I made sure that actress naming was consistent (e.g. Shoko vs. Shouko) and deleted for instance the tag Hi-Def in case my movie file is not at least 720p. I still need to add this tag in case I do have at least a 720p version and the tag is not already there. I also changed titles in case the auto-translated Japanese is complete gibberish. I could go on and on.

Note that you can set up filters specifically for actresses too.

Having invested this much time already in getting everything to my liking, did result in a crippling fear of accidentally regenerating metadata (re-scraping). The last thing I want is for JavLuv to overwrite my hard work. In the main screen I have "overwrite metadata" turned of. But I'm not sure what would happen if I "selected all" in the main screen and then would choose "regenerate metadata" after right-clicking. I suspect it would set off undoing all my hard work. There is also an option to "rescan files" after right clicking on the main page. I'm not sure what would happen if I clicked that. I should probably back-up all .nfo and .jpg files from my movie directories so I can sleep a little better and play around with JavLuv a bit more freely again. (edit: I backed up manually and did that not a moment too soon. Because not much later JavLuv insisted on re-downloading metadata for one of my movie folders overwriting 400+ files. I don't know what I did to trigger it, but it happened.)

I hear you about the anxiety of undoing all your hard work. You may notice that there's actually an automated backup system for your user ratings - something I put a LOT of time on with my own collection. I didn't want it accidentally go *poof*, since I use JavLuv on my own collection, naturally.

So I think something similar could be done for the Genre tags as well. I could store them in a backup file, and if you ever re-download metadata and there are already genre tags in that backup file, then it would replace them with the backup data.

Also... yikes... I can't think offhand of why JavLuv would re-download metadata. If you ever manage to reproduce this, please let me know. You're doing a few things out of the norm, like hiding some file types, so I'll have to experiment a bit and see how that affects things. Best to make backups manually for now, so you don't get bitten.

Functionality that doesn't seem to work for me:
- "Show subtitles" selected on the main page results in an empty list, although I have subtitle files (unhidden) for many of my movies in the movie folders (named the same as the corresponding movie).

Are your subtitle extensions listed in the Settings? I have the most common ones listed, but you may need to add support for yours. If this is the case, you'll need to re-scan files so JavLuv sees the subtitles and subsequently tracks those files. If that's not the case, I'm not sure why you're not seeing your subtitled movies. May have to investigate. Let me know, okay?

- Filtering from the options menu doesn't do anything. I am not sure if I misunderstand what it is supposed to do, or if the functionality is broken in the current version, or if I am using it wrong. I cannot seem to change any keywords (genre of actress) using the filtering functionality after the initial scan. Perhaps this functionality only works during the initial scan where it generates the metadata. Which I don't want to run anymore after changing so much metadata manually.

Filtering is only done after initial scanning and metadata is downloaded. You can also trigger it manually by selecting thumbnails, right-clicking, and selecting the "Filter Metadata" option.

Some suggestions for further development:
- In case JavLuv does anything that will overwrite existing files (.nfo or .jpg) ask for confirmation first to avoid accidents. Perhaps it would be possible for JavLuv to keep track of those movies where the user made changes and ask for confirmation before overwriting anything.

I can easily add a confirmation dialog for any destructive actions. That seems like a no-brainer. I'll consider detecting user-edits, but that's a bit more work.

- I'd like to be able to sort by Actress Name. Movies with multiple actresses could be handled in different ways. Either move these kind of movies to the end of the list or maybe use the first actress listed as the sorting criterium. For me sorting by actress name is the default way of looking at my library when I'm not in JavLuv.

Sure, that seems feasible.

- In case you have JAV organized in multiple directories, use the settings to maintain those folder locations. Then if you hit "Scan Movies" it goes through those folders automatically.

Maybe I can add a "Scan Library" button (or option) instead. I want the user to be able to "import" new movies by scanning in arbitrary locations outside the library. At the moment, JavLuv only supports a single library. I'd have to consider how to expand this, as it would cause a lot of complications with the move/rename feature.

- Have an option to not scan any sub-directories in the folder location you choose to scan.

Sure, simple enough. Is this an option you'd want to set and leave set (like in Settings)? Or do you want a toggle above the Scan button? I'd prefer not to let the side-panel get too busy, but will consider this.

- Show the video resolution on the "movie details" page.

I've got ffmpg along for the ride. I'll bet I can use it to get that info. Will investigate.

- Show the folder path on mouse over on the folder icon (left bottom) on the "movie details page"

Shouldn't be too hard to do. Why not?

- Tools for managing metadata. Things like "find and replace" would be great. Or something like "if - then rules" to maintain metadata. Let's say an actress has beautiful breasts and I want all movies with her in it to have this tag. Or if I want to tag any movie below 720p as Low-res (this would rely on video resolution maintained in JavLuv of course).

Yeah, the current metadata management is pretty basic. There's just a giant substitution table for replacing stuff, which I've filled in by detault, but long-term, I'd definitely like to do better than that.

- Making a backup of the current JavLuv library. It could put all current .nfo and .jpg files in a zip file, from which the user could restore.

Worth considering, I think. I'll think about ways to make sure JavLuv doesn't let the user accidentally destroy organizational work. And besides, shit happens, disks fail, etc.

Fantastic feedback! This is really great stuff. I tend to get a bit myopic based on the quirks of my own usage patterns collection type, and organization - kind of natural, since I really built JavLuv mostly for my own use. Thanks for the detailed write up and suggestions. No promises on any of these features, but I'll definitely consider all of them. Some of these are pretty simple and can be done fairly soon, but others may take a bit of time.

Edit: Well, dang. I seem to have broken "Show only subtitles". It's not working for me either. I'll investigate and get a fix out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yorin2

Yorin2

Dec 1, 2019
Fixed an issue preventing the "Show Subtitles Only" option from working.

Windows installer:
https://filejoker.net/akrdrjjiyzzv/Setup_JavLuv.msi

Portable/zipped:
https://filejoker.net/jzn7yxhfwt27/JavLuv.zip

Alternative download:
JavLuv.zip
Setup_JavLuv.msi

Yes, works for me now as well. Thanks!

I tried again the filtering option and it doesn't work for me. I made sure to run JavLuv as designed (with all .nfo and.jpg files unhidden), I have been doing that for all the testing I did so far.
Example:
- Added a new actress filter: Nana=Nanana
- Selected a few Nana Ogura videos on the main page
- Hit "Filter metadata" after right-clicking
- Open the detail page for the video to see nothing has happened

I expected to find the actress name on the detail page to have changed to "Nanana Ogura", but instead I find that nothing has changed. The .nfo files are also untouched (date modified hasn't changed). It's the same for the genre filters. Maybe my expectation of the filtering function to work as an on the fly find-and-replace command for genres and actress names is wrong. If so, can you explain again what it actually does?

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Yes, works for me now as well. Thanks!

I tried again the filtering option and it doesn't work for me. I made sure to run JavLuv as designed (with all .nfo and.jpg files unhidden), I have been doing that for all the testing I did so far.
Example:
- Added a new actress filter: Nana=Nanana
- Selected a few Nana Ogura videos on the main page
- Hit "Filter metadata" after right-clicking
- Open the detail page for the video to see nothing has happened

I expected to find the actress name on the detail page to have changed to "Nanana Ogura", but instead I find that nothing has changed. The .nfo files are also untouched (date modified hasn't changed). It's the same for the genre filters. Maybe my expectation of the filtering function to work as an on the fly find-and-replace command for genres and actress names is wrong. If so, can you explain again what it actually does?
Filters require exact matches. They won't work on partial matches, or else it might change what you don't expect. So you'd need to add "Nana Ogura=Nanaha Ogura" for it to work.

You also have a positive gift for finding bugs I've introduced. I had made a slight change in the filter name format for aesthetic reasons, but didn't account for this elsewhere. Another patch incoming...