Is there a easy step by step guide on how to set up and use a proxy for downloading?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
I notice that a lot of uploaders are using file hosting sites that do not let People in the States and other countries download from them.So I was wondering if there is a simple easy to follow how-to guide, preferably with step-by-step pictures and on how to set up and use a proxy for downloading preferably using free stuff if any has to be downloaded or aquired.

javhoarder

Consumer of Hard Disks
Sep 20, 2011
Just thought I'd chip in here.

I was also blocked by many hosts, but I found something out. Many of the "all-in-one" premium file host leech services operate essentially as proxies. I've signed up for one (which I won't name, to not be thought of as a shill), and have been able to download from uploaded.to, turbobit, etc. and with the bonus of not having download limits. Well worth a look into.

porkar

Apr 2, 2007
I would like to read an answer to the OP's question.:please:

javhoarder

Consumer of Hard Disks
Sep 20, 2011
Well, the only free thing I know of is Hotspot Shield.

It's a free/ad-supported VPN service with decent speeds. Last I recall, the IP address I got was out of India. It should work for hosts that filter the USA, assuming that other HS users aren't also downloading from file those hosts.

You just install their software, run it, and point your browser to where you want to go.

patton

Dec 31, 2011
I have 2 modems from different ISP. one of them has blocked this forum and similiar ones. so i have to use proxy as a workaround. you can try TOR Project. the download page is here

You can choose one of 2 download here:
Tor Browser Bundle
This includes the TOR program and firefox portable. If you just wanted to browse anonymously and downloading through the bundled browser (firefox portable), then you can download this bundle. Extract it and run Start Tor Browser.exe file. First, TOR will connect to its server, after connected, firefox portable is launced automatically and ready to use.

Vidalia Bundle
This includes only TOR program. This bundle is recommended since it can be used for all browsers you have on your system, plus for any download manager program such as Internet Download Manager. If you use Firefox, Opera, IE, or any other browser, and you want to use IDM, then you can download this bundle. After installing you need to configure your browsers and IDM to run with TOR
  1. Firefox
    Tools > Options > Network > Settings
    [hide]
    View attachment 580493

View attachment 580494
    [/hide]
  2. Opera
    Tools > Preferences > Advanced
    Click Network on the left panel, then click Proxy Servers
    [hide]
    View attachment 580495

View attachment 580496
    [/hide]
  3. IE, Chrome, and another browser basicaly have same step to configure
  4. IDM
    Downloads > Options
    [hide]
    View attachment 580500
    [/hide]

After configuration, launch the Vidalia from desktop shortcut or from Start Menu program. Wait until it's connected. You will see the vidalia icon turn to green in system tray when it's connected. After connected, you have to connect to TOR https website to check whether or not you are successful using it. to check, go to this address from your browser:
Code:
https://check.torproject.org/

If successful, your browser will show this page:
[hide]
View attachment 580497
[/hide]

Keep in mind, some websites can detect if you are browsing through TOR networks. Sometimes they block it. If it happened, you can change your identity (new IP address) by clicking Use a new identity on Vidalia Control Panel
[hide]
View attachment 580499
[/hide]