How to organize your JAV collection?

silkmaze

Aug 21, 2010
How do you start the application? I have downloaded it and unpacked the contents of the RAR file but I don't see an .exe or a .com file that I would use on windows to start it.

Samou-san

Sep 21, 2008
How do you start the application? I have downloaded it and unpacked the contents of the RAR file but I don't see an .exe or a .com file that I would use on windows to start it.
You must have Java Runtime installed.
Then you just have to execute the file with the ".jar" extension and it should run a little window. That's the software.

I've tried it here and it's just like I thought, you can't set profiles for the actresses, which is something I really need. Seems like I'll be sticking to my PVD. Next post I'm gonna show you guys how I organize mine.

Samou-san

Sep 21, 2008
Ok, the software I use is Personal Video Database, as I mentioned it before. It is a free software that was released a while ago and it's not maintained anymore, but it still works like a charm if you have the patience to manually organize your library. I like it better this way since I can control what information I can have it there and what not, such as setting my own genres (personal genres) and actresses profiles.

Here is a screenshot of how my current JAV Database is shown on the initial window of the software:
449232cb6e.jpg

Here's a screenshot of a JAV on my database with a custom genre (the AKB-48 one):
fb2ef934f8.jpg

The software itself has a statistics page, where I can check many statistics of my own database, such as what genre I have the most titles in and stuff like that. Here's a screenshot:
7d6b7c908e.png

bdc2828f57.png
774ccfeddd.png

Also, when you click on the name of any actress of any movie (or director), it opens up a profile for that actress, which I manually set (from the pictures to its profile). Here's a screenshot:
f4b4150416.png

This way, I can easily find a movie whether by actress, genre, name, ID, or anything else I'm looking for. :)

The cons about it is that everything is manually set, so it's a job that is never finnished (since I'm always downloading JAVs). Currently my collection has over 1000 titles, and yet only 390 are on the database so far. I'm planning to finnish it (as in, to make it par to the JAVs I'm currently downloading) by the end of the month, and when I do, I think it'll become easier to just update it everytime I download anything, so I think it's worth it.

Also, planning to add a custom field to the movie database (you can do that on the software aswell) to easily locate in which HDD the movie is in.

What do you guys think of it?
If you want more screenshots, just let me know and I'll provide them! Hope you like it!

Reactions: vincent_z

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
Has no one heard of JAVMovieScraper? I use it to organize a 12TB+ collection. It does all the hard work for you as it pulls in data from sites like R18 and Javlibrary, creating metadata and images for use in programs like Media Companion (recommended). It can also automatically rename the files and folders based on criteria you specify, so you can get a clean file/folder structure.

JAVMovieScraper uses Java, so it's a little slow/buggy, especially when you're working with big collections, so you have to be patient and play around with it to make it work the best for you.

I highly recommend using Media Companion as the tool to browse through your collection when the scraper is through doing its work. As you can see from the images below, you can really easily find what you're looking for, whether it's a particular actress, fetish, keyword, or brand. Of course, you can simply load up the wall and look at the posters and see what catches your eye. :)

1YKzoOa.jpg
8uOHuKB.jpg
The screen shot looks awesome, I heard of it, but never got around to trying it out. Looks like I'm missing a gem.

Woooooow! I've been using Personal Video Database for ages, but I've been doing all the data on the movie by myself. Could you explain me some things? Does it have a section where you can customize the profile for each actress (like, put a biography you want) and stuff like that? I'm gonna try that.
Also looks good. I like it that there's an API so anyone can hack or write scripts. "Doing data by yourself" sounds absolutely painful, have you tried its dmm.co.jp plugin? Or consider hacking one to scrape JAVlibrary or similar sites?

Does either of these solution handle bilingual (Jp/En) data?

Samou-san

Sep 21, 2008
The screen shot looks awesome, I heard of it, but never got around to trying it out. Looks like I'm missing a gem.

Also looks good. I like it that there's an API so anyone can hack or write scripts. "Doing data by yourself" sounds absolutely painful, have you tried its dmm.co.jp plugin? Or consider hacking one to scrape JAVlibrary or similar sites?

Does either of these solution handle bilingual (Jp/En) data?
I've tried the DMM.co plugin but it scraps only in JP language, and I need it in english. If I find something to use it on PVD that scraps from JavLibrary.com, I'd loooooooooove it, since I get all the data (except the actress profile) from there.

lpcs1

Suffers from semenly incurable Narutophilia
Dec 7, 2012
holy crap this is badass ! I'm having trouble launching the .exe though :/

does a similar software exist to organize music ?

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
Thanks for this! This view right here gave me a kick in the rear about an idea I've had for a long time...but now with HTML5 (and Chrome) I realized I can finally do it. :D

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
Last edited:
Reactions: tmas3

gamal1992

Mar 29, 2017
I have almost 1000 titles in my laptop and hard disc ,,,what I cant advice is if u keep the vids in mess eventually u will lose them maybe deleting them by mistake so keep it ordered under general titles and then subdivide them depends on the actress that u love the most and the genre of the titles like incest , school, widow , gb , and so ,,,,

gamal1992

Mar 29, 2017
[QUO a m0TE="Casshern2, post: 3471612, member: 63572"]So I used that image mentioned above as inspiration for a very simple solution for me.

View attachment 967510

sorry screwed up the sample video will update later[/QUOTE]
What a method ,,, genius I will try it it make the collection look more fabulous that using pics in folders

Reactions: Casshern2

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
Back after some time away from this. I know, HTML Applications (HTAs) are an old technology. The smart man jumps on Electron, but I’m much more capable with VBScript than JavaScript and I’m just too lazy to get up to speed with JS. Even though (even though!) this isn’t that complicated. Well…I might get into JS again just for this, but that’s a personal battle not worthy of public discussion.

Long story short so you won’t have to read through THIS is that I no longer trust HDDs as a storage choice. I lost A BUNCH of titles when I had a drive fail. So I’m looking at Optical Storage. 50GB Blu-ray to be exact. The whole goal for me is to be able to insert a disc that I’ve archived titles on and fire this thing up to show me what is on it and be able to launch what I click on. I got unlazy and switched from Chrome to the actual VLC program for playback. I was originally going to have this via Chrome but more setup was needed than necessary for it.

It was you, the viewers at home, that made me think of a different plan. If I got it working how I wanted and showed people, what if they wanted to try it, too? How many out there can easily get IIS running on their PC, or install Chrome if they didn’t already have it, or would even want to for either? If I created an EXE program it would probably require some to install the aging VB Runtime environment (…I use old tools). So, I went the route of making a faux web interface that any Windows user could use (sorry Mac) and could easily get working if they wanted to give it a go. How’s that for nice? (kidding). Well, not so nice because if I used Electron driven by JavaScript it would have been cross-platform, hence…sorry Mac.

Behold! My brand-spanking new HTML Application: JAV Archive on Demand (JAD). Uh…”on demand”? I did use the world faux. What does it do so far? It builds a visual presentation (so far a bit of a mess) of what is stored on an inserted disc. For my needs I’m using the aforementioned 50GB Blu-ray discs. That’s about 46GB of usable storage, so, with the SD versions of titles I have that should yield roughly 30-40 titles per disc on average, instead of maybe 9 or 10 of those HD titles that are all the rage. But that’s just me, I can usually only view in my GearVR so the SD size in the theaters look pretty darn nice to me. JAD so far should work with all media files VLC can play. I use all MKV files because I remux everything to that container. This is so far not very elegant at all, BTW.

I bought a 160 disc holder for $15 at computer store. Eventually it will be filled and down under my desk, out of the way. How to find what I want, you ask? That’s the second part I haven’t gotten to yet. I’m not one to need a whole lot of information for JAV. I’m looking to be able to search by Publisher, DVD Code prefix (JUFD, ARM, PPPD, etc.), Genre, Performer. So far that’s all I would need, and even then right at the get-go I’ll probably only have DVD Code prefix. The rest I can ease into because it will be some work, even with the scrapers out there. BUT…the big difference for me that makes up for it is that I will have a large visual library telling me which disc has which title (going by the cover). No there yet, though.

What you're seeing if you grab the video below is me opening the app, the app loads thumbnails of the videos on my disc from a folder on my HDD. Then as I click a cover it launches VLC with a set width of 854(p) whether the actual video is that big or not. Just for a little size. I'm sure you can set it to fullscreen if you wish. I like mine windowed for some reason.

jad01.jpg jad02.jpg

JAD_test01.mkv
https://mega.nz/#!eZEHHY7B!PN4l0yeH9_c8XK6TU52LmfeGj5nYqz8Bvsq_0ckBkp4

Reactions: supersam and tmas3

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
You know…the hardest part for me at this point is deciding how to store things. Admittedly I’m very much limited in how I can do this using Blu-ray discs as storage, but I’m committed since I don’t trust HDDs anymore. I do intend to eventually have a single database/datafile with everything listed so I can tell which title is on which disc, but…how to fill the discs? I’m wondering if I should just fill them as I need to get them off of my PC, which was the plan, or perhaps store by publisher per disc? By performer? Series? Genre?

Do you have a specific way you offload to external drives? Or do you just send whatever to them, not worrying about grouping by any of the aforementioned categories?

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
You know…the hardest part for me at this point is deciding how to store things. Admittedly I’m very much limited in how I can do this using Blu-ray discs as storage, but I’m committed since I don’t trust HDDs anymore. I do intend to eventually have a single database/datafile with everything listed so I can tell which title is on which disc, but…how to fill the discs? I’m wondering if I should just fill them as I need to get them off of my PC, which was the plan, or perhaps store by publisher per disc? By performer? Series? Genre?

Do you have a specific way you offload to external drives? Or do you just send whatever to them, not worrying about grouping by any of the aforementioned categories?

I'm used to burn it randomly when ever I finish download & the size already enough to fill 1 disc, but I got trouble later

so now I chosed to fill the disc based on publisher / studio, except for few studios that I rare to download their vids, so now I've all Kira Kira, all Zukkon, all Moodyz, ecc discs and store them based on group

this grouping system help me, more easy & quick to search when I want to watch

needs more loli

Don't underestimate lolis!
Apr 30, 2015

Back when I burned JAV to DVD-R I did exactly this: grouped stuff by either actress or studio. Then kept an excel spreadsheet with all the the files and discs I had burned.

It was very complicated trying to group things before burning them. Looking back at it now I would have just burned stuff randomly as I got it. The idea behind grouping stuff was that I could watch multiple videos without switching discs but in actual practice, despite all my effort grouping stuff, I still end up only watching one video out a typical 4-5 that are on the disc.

Now days with larger capacity discs (dual layer and bluray) you might end up with a higher "hit ratio" but honestly you shouldn't stress yourself over it and just burn the damn thing. I should have taken my own advice, I kept stressing over it and ended up not burning anything at all, several years later and now I have 8 hard drives full of JAV. Each just waiting to crash and burn one day. Honestly at this point that might be the only way to free myself from my JAV addiction.
:stress:

Reactions: Casshern2 and tmas3

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
So far @Supmop and @needs more loli have pointed out opposite viewpoints. Both certainly have points that have crossed my mind. I tend to take the path of least resistance. I lean towards random titles with a separate index somewhere. Hmm...

Thank you both for your advice!

Edit: @tmas3 adds a horrible fear! And it is horrible when it happens. I hope it never happens to you, my friend!

Reactions: Supmop

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
@Casshern2 & @needs more loli

:eek: you guys are scaring me! Stop it! Losing my entire collection would be a nightmare scenario. My internet isn't the greatest (to say the least) so I wouldn't even consider trying to rebuild it if something like that did happened.

Fortunately, in my experience, when a drive starts to fail (bad sectors or struggles to spin up) I'm always able to back everything up. Maybe 1 or 2 videos will be corrupted, but 99% of my collection always makes it safely onto the new drive. I've never had a drive just one day not work at all, and lose everything. Usually when people think their drive died, it's actually just the external hdd adapter that went bad. I put my drives in a probox and have never had an issue.

better to make backup for your collection before its too late ;)

Back when I burned JAV to DVD-R I did exactly this: grouped stuff by either actress or studio. Then kept an excel spreadsheet with all the the files and discs I had burned.

It was very complicated trying to group things before burning them. Looking back at it now I would have just burned stuff randomly as I got it. The idea behind grouping stuff was that I could watch multiple videos without switching discs but in actual practice, despite all my effort grouping stuff, I still end up only watching one video out a typical 4-5 that are on the disc.

Now days with larger capacity discs (dual layer and bluray) you might end up with a higher "hit ratio" but honestly you shouldn't stress yourself over it and just burn the damn thing. I should have taken my own advice, I kept stressing over it and ended up not burning anything at all, several years later and now I have 8 hard drives full of JAV. Each just waiting to crash and burn one day. Honestly at this point that might be the only way to free myself from my JAV addiction.
:stress:

watching multiple videos without switching discs is for large capacity HDD, for you guys who have big collection and want it simple large capacity HDD is the answer

while DVD R, flashdisk, memory card, ecc are useful for back up, we don't know when our HDD crash, sometimes it never shown any sign, it just sudden death

Last edited: