How to extract/split incomplete avi?

patton

Dec 31, 2011
This movie has 1,2 GB and splitted in 7 parts using HJSplit (or maybe FFSJ). i saw the screenshot and i only want the first 30 minutes scene. so i have already download part 1 (200 MB) and a half of part 2 (100 MB) and joined them with FFSJ. as a result an incomplete 31 minutes avi file, exactly like what i wanted. although that incomplete avi is playable, but you know in media player seeking after 32 minutes will cause a freeze movie. so i wanted to split/extract that 30 minutes of 31 minutes without recompressing, just direct stream copy..

i used VirtualDubMod and BoilSoft Video Splitter. both of them can do the task, but the result seeking is extremely slow. when playing the movie and seek to any position, then it needs about 15 - 20 seconds to display the video..

so how should i do this task correctly? do i miss some settings in virtualdubmod? (in virtualdubmod i only mark the start, the end, and then save the file using direct stream copy method)
thank you..

patton

Dec 31, 2011
nevermind..i solved it!
first i fix the video using DivFix++ and then i split it using VirtualDubMod.
fortunatelly the video was encoded in DivX 5 which the only codec supported by DivFix++. i try to fix avi encoded with AVC but the file cannot be played..

perhaps someone has a better answer although my problem is solved..
thank you..

patton

Dec 31, 2011
yes i can download all parts completely, but it would take ages due to my internet connection speed. beside it would eat my internet quota :exhausted:

that's why i only downloaded the 1st part and a half of 2nd part..
i agree re-encoding/recompressing would be a solution, but i prefer direct stream copy since no quality degradation. unless no other way, i would do re-encoding..

btw, do you have any suggestion what software can do similiar task to avi encoded in h.264/avc or mpeg-4? DivFix++ cannot do it. just in case i would do this again later..